Science Forums

Chemistry 101

learnin to learn

OK I'll try another

I have this gas called CO2

I want to break it down to C and O

How do I do it?

Having done it, what form with the C be- solid, liquid, gas?

To break bonds, you have to add energy.

The amount of energy needed is: [the sum of the energies of the bonds in the compound] / [mole of compound]

For instance, CO2 has two C=O bonds ---> O=C=O.

A C-O double bond has a bond energy of 192 kcals/mol.

Since there are two of these bonds in CO2, then the total energy is (192*2) = 384 kcal/mol.

The Carbon would be a solid. The O would be a gas.

There's another way; Use a plant!:D Well, you'll need water from where to get oxygen atoms... and um... the glucose will be containing all the carbon:shrug: , but I'd suppose that we could extract the carbon from the glucose (Dehydration using say... phosphorourous pentaoxide at elevated temperatures), and simply pretend that the oxygen actually came from the carbon-di-oxide, and not water.:hihi:

(The water was absorbed, in a equal amount by the P2O5 anyway)

To successfully apply energy like that, the simplest option would be to expose the compounds to ridiculously high temperatures, and attempt the newly formed free atoms at that temperatures. It's not a simple task at normal temperatures, and that way my 'silly method' doesn't remain silly anymore.

But don't lose hope ;) there must be a better way...

But wait; There is another way. Not usre how much usable, though, worth a glance.

Dissociation of Carbon Dioxide in the Martian Simulant Gas Discharge

Apparently, a 'radio frequency discharge'(what the hell is that? needs to be seen) can be used to convert carbon dioxide to a mixture of carbon mono-oxide and oxygen.

Actually, this was the difficult part, and needs to be studied.

For more, well, I guess that CO can be used to produce Carbon and Oxygen in some manner.

Got to hit organic chemistry books for that, though. I'd say that the first step could involve reduction with either Nickel (To produce methane and water) or Copper (To produce methanal)...

Well, in any case, this could be a direction we could look into.

To break bonds, you have to add energy.

The amount of energy needed is: [the sum of the energies of the bonds in the compound] / [mole of compound]

For instance, CO2 has two C=O bonds ---> O=C=O.

A C-O double bond has a bond energy of 192 kcals/mol.

Since there are two of these bonds in CO2, then the total energy is (192*2) = 384 kcal/mol.

I am told that is about half a horsepower.

about the size of a small elctric motor

Right?

Actually, 384 kcal/mol is equivalent to 1607731.2 Joules/mole.

Which means that if you want to form 44grams of carbon-di-oxide per second, you need to supply 1607731.2 Joules/second. 1.6 Mega watts.

Now, although the actual energy use will be less (half?), there is no way of giving this energy to the gas directly by something like an engine.

• 8 months later...
But wait; There is another way. Not usre how much usable, though, worth a glance.

Dissociation of Carbon Dioxide in the Martian Simulant Gas Discharge

Apparently, a 'radio frequency discharge'(what the hell is that? needs to be seen) can be used to convert carbon dioxide to a mixture of carbon mono-oxide and oxygen.

Actually, this was the difficult part, and needs to be studied.

For more, well, I guess that CO can be used to produce Carbon and Oxygen in some manner.

Got to hit organic chemistry books for that, though. I'd say that the first step could involve reduction with either Nickel (To produce methane and water) or Copper (To produce methanal)...

Well, in any case, this could be a direction we could look into.

Could someone please translate this for me?

TAR

Dissociation of carbon dioxide and creation of carbon particles and films at room temperature

Abstract. As fluids approach their gas–liquid critical points, the physical properties such as the specific heat and compressibility diverge due to the formation of large molecular clusters. Incident light cannot penetrate near-critical fluids because of the large clusters, a phenomenon known as critical opalescence. In this paper, we irradiate near-critical carbon dioxide (ncCO2), the critical temperature and pressure of which are 31.0°C and 7.38 MPa, with a laser beam of 213, 266, 355 and 532 nm wavelength and show that CO2 is dissociated and particles are produced when the system is set so close to the critical point that critical opalescence occurs in the case of 213 and 266 nm wavelength, whereas no particles are produced when the temperature is made to deviate from the critical value. We also apply a dc electric field to ncCO2 during irradiation with a laser beam of 213 and 266 nm wavelength and find that particles are formed on both anode and cathode. As the intensity of the electric field increases, films are formed on the electrodes. Electron diffraction patterns and energy-dispersive x-ray, Auger electron, x-ray photoelectron and Raman spectroscopic analyses show that the particles and films are composed of amorphous carbon.

Dissociation of carbon dioxide and creation of carbon particles and films at room temperature

Could someone please translate this for me?

I'd be glad to :turtle:

When CO2 is at or above 73 atmospheres of pressure and at or above 31º C it becomes a supercritical fluid.

Phase diagram of carbon dioxide

This is the point where the liquid and gas densities are equal - and the distinction between gas and liquid disappears. You then have a supercritical fluid. This text you've got deals with supercritical CO2 which is a very commonly used supercritical fluid. The text refers to this point between gas / liquid / and supercritical fluid as the “gas–liquid critical point” (which it is) and “near-critical” as the temperature and pressure when it is in transition to a supercritical fluid. The text describes the near-critical CO2 as having critical opalescence (same as Rayleigh scattering) This is when the CO2 becomes cloudy at the critical point because there are small fluctuations in density throughout the CO2. There are small bubbles of supercritical fluid, gas, and liquid and combined they produce a scattering effect. This is just like the scattering the sky produces on sunlight making it blue. The text attributes this to molecular clusters which may well be true, but I have never heard that before. In any case, this scattering makes the CO2 opaque and it is at this point that an infrared laser is emitted into the near-critical CO2. The CO2 will now absorb the photons from the laser because it is opaque. The text then claims that the laser Dissociates the CO2 (presumably into C and O2). Lasers have been used before to dissociate gasses - but never in an industrial scale that I know of. By passing an electric current through the near-critical CO2 while it is being dissociated they claim to have collected carbon on the electrodes. This would seem to prove their results. The paper’s title saying “room temperature” is a bit misleading as this must take place at 31º C. It rather is referring to the fact that this may be a way to get O2 from C02 without heating it to thousands of degrees.

I hope this helps

- modest

PS - Are you trying to solve global warming or breath on mars? :hal_skeleton:

• 5 weeks later...