Science Forums

Gender Confusion

Paige is a guy? And here I was holding in my gas on your threads like I was trying to impress you. Actually, I think all the women are gone now. This is like Lamda Lamda Lamda now.

We are the champions :hyper:

my friends :note: :hihi:

and we'll keep on fighting :note:

til the end :)

PAN DOWN!

Bill

The genetic code does not, and cannot, specify the nature

and position of every capillary in the body or every neuron

in the brain. What it can do is describe the underlying

fractal pattern which creates them.

-- Academician Prokhor Zakharov,

"Nonlinear Genetics"

I dont generally care what sex or gender people online are. Youre all just words on the screen to me.

I don't think that's a sexist comment. Or at least, I didn't mean it as such.

Sexual dimorphism is a fact of biology, and it leads, most often to sexual division of labor. It's not a strict line at all - but in general in every society I can think of women have one set of roles, while men have another.

I don't mean this in the "women should stay at home and men should work" way. I mean that even in our society, which shows a marked LACK of the sexual division of labor, there is some.

One of the first things you are able to tell about a person in most cases, when you meet them face to face, is their biological sex. There are a few outliers, sure, but think about how uncomfortable not being able to pin a sex on someone you're meeting face to face makes you.

I'm not saying it make me uncomfortable that I can't tell what sex people are. I'm saying I find it interesting that one of our most basic dimensions of human interaction is stripped away on a text-to-text forum like this, where people have gender-bending nick names, and your assumptions about what the other person typing on the keyboard are based entirely on their mind and not on their physical appearance.

In a way, it's kind of like reverse stereotyping or something - rather than make assumptions about things people can control based on something they can't (sex and race) we make assumptions about something people can't control based on something they can (their opinions.)

TFS

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TheFaithfulStone again.

O well sorry, I tried

Thanks for your reasoned reply. There still are sexist assumptions in your thinking however.

I think it is a good thing and quite interesting to see the way people deal with you when they think you are one sex or another.

So far I have found sexist put-down-flirtatious humour when someone is squirming out of an argument and assumes I'm female.

Not so when they assume I am a male.