Science Forums

Lonely or alone?

paigetheoracle

Are you a lone wolf or a pack animal?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you a lone wolf or a pack animal?

• Yes
    • No
    • Both, to some degree
    • Neither, to any degree

Death is opting out of life, be it mental or physical and opting in means interest in the project of life. Life is a con I believe (I mean this as a fact not a whinge). A trick that holds our attention and that once gone loses us (People addiction or withdrawal symptom: This is why you can feel more lonely in a crowd than in your own company - marching to a different drummer or trying to blend in, to please the collective whole). The solitary life means a return to nature and self-sufficiency - civilization has always been a more addictive pursuit and always will be (continual change and variety rather than stability and acceptance of how things are: Monks versus missionaires/Pioneers versus settlers/ Robinson Crusoe or 'Lost'/ Cat or dog person).

This system would collapse as Gandhi taught not only India but the unions. Civilizations die without support and the death of the common dream leads to dissolution of the cohesion that makes a society what it is (Decadence killed China, The Maya, Aztec and Inca civilizations as well as Rome in the end, in my opinion [Perhaps the dinosaurs died of boredom too!]). We are reluctant to accept Fairyland as the cheap, tawdry, mirage it is until as The I-Ching says 'The pain of staying the same, outweighs the pain of changing'. We prefer the complex lie to the simple truth for this reason - there is nothing so sad as realizing we've been worshipping at the altar of illusion. The unknown always breaks into our world to show us our limits and let us know that there is a bigger reality out there than is encompassed by our philosophy, Horatio. The new always adds to our lives through fresh ideas but it disrupts our old ones (vegetating on the compost heap of familiarity, breeding contempt). If you fight your way upstream, you'll always find the cause but if you go with the flow, you'll drift back into the ocean, without effort (The sea of infinity, where you can taste the waters of Lethe): All addiction is the struggle to understand a mystery - death, giving up the effort and returning to the source of all things, rather than the one.

Well I am more of the lone wolf type. It's not that I am aloof from the world, or anti-social. I just think better when I am alone.

Me too. I think, thinkers have to be solitary because it requires lack of distraction to go inside and contemplate what is going on between your ears. Sociable people are by their very nature shallow. This isn't meant as an insult but a statement of fact. As the saying goes, you can lose yourself in a crowd or find yourself alone. Extroversion is a doing thing, not a thinking thing. Doers are into sport, dance and activities requiring motor skills, which means they are better than us geeks at these kind of things (We connect mentally inside - they connect physically outside: In my opinion the only real conflict in the world is between the urge to do and the urge to think). More later when I've thought about it or got back from cutting the grass!

It's great that those who self categorize as loners share this with others. :lol:

Sociable people are by their very nature shallow. This isn't meant as an insult but a statement of fact.

However, I am going to ask that you support this or retract it. It sounds much more of an opinion than a fact. If I am mistaken, show me evidence of why.

Extroversion is a doing thing, not a thinking thing. Doers are into sport, dance and activities requiring motor skills, which means they are better than us geeks at these kind of things (We connect mentally inside - they connect physically outside:

Same... see request above.

More later when I've thought about it or got back from cutting the grass!

I actually enjoy cutting the grass! I don't know if I'm strange that way, but it's a bit meditative and rewarding. I do have a pretty nasty grass allergy, but the act itself is quite fun. :doh: Yeah, I just confirmed it... I'm strange. :hyper:

Cheers. :eek:

It's great that those who self categorize as loners share this with others. B)

However, I am going to ask that you support this or retract it. It sounds much more of an opinion than a fact. If I am mistaken, show me evidence of why.

Same... see request above.

I actually enjoy cutting the grass! I don't know if I'm strange that way, but it's a bit meditative and rewarding. I do have a pretty nasty grass allergy, but the act itself is quite fun. :D Yeah, I just confirmed it... I'm strange. :shade:

Cheers. :beer:

First quote - very amusing as for rest it may require some self monitoring as well as the following as your own experience would I believe indicate the truth of what I'm saying. First the statement about extroversion and sport etc. as it is the simplest to deal with.

Have you ever listened to sportsmen try to describe what they do? It's an action not a thought and as a motor skill requires the same kind of use of energy as thought but is externally directed and not internally (detailed movement not detailed ideas). Second, physiologically, movement requires deeper breathing and this is why I believe a lot of singers do not make very good actors - tension and control of the voice is lost to a more relaxed style and this is why exercise in my experience leads to confidence as not doing anything leads to depression (time to think and see possibilities - rather than act and lose sight of reality in a blur of movement: What you cannot percieve, you cannot worry about).

Why do I say sociability leads to shallowness? Again for the same reason and by the way I'm not trying to exclude myself from this equation as this is not a prejudiced disconnection (us and them argument - or me Tarzan, you worthless scum) but an attempt to show how reality works and effects us all: When I act, it affects me in the same way as anybody else and the same with thought. The only difference between me and somebody who is more athletic is down to degree and duration of effort in a particular direction. Verbal expression as opposed to written, action as opposed to thought, relaxation as opposed to tension, expansion as opposed to contraction - these are the mechanics of the universe in action as far as I'm concerned and that is why these words already exist, to point our way to these clues about reality: We take things apart to understand them and put them back together again to make them work.

If you are having trouble with what I'm saying it could be semantics - that is the way I use words as opposed to the meaning you associate with them and hence my further explanation, in the hope that you'll see what I mean (The Caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland and words meaning what he wants them to mean, not as Alice necessarily understands them). Someone one described philosophy as the attempt to 'define reality' and that is not a bad way of putting it. What we're trying to do here is clarify what we mean as the alternative is to assume we do know and that leas to a dead end of smug certainty or reactive belief i.e. that it is negative and aimed at someone or something specific (prejudicial). I hope I don't come across as the latter and would be amused if it's the former.:D

i am most definetly a lone wolf. but that does not mean that i care only for myself, because i dont.

personally, i enjoy being alone, but i am also alone TO much. the thing about it is that i isolate myself for some odd reason (subconsciously) and i dont know why and i cant force myself to do the oppisite.

one thing i know is that i feel uncomfortable around people, unless i know them very well. i dont trust people easily. maybe it is because i have been nothing but let down my whole life. maybe it is because i was nothing but isolated my whole life. maybe it is because i was physically and emotionally and brutally abused all of my life, up until a few years ago. maybe it is because i moved from an abusive family to a non-family at all. maybe it is just because i am ****ed up in the mind. the maybes go on and on but this is not the point of the topic so off to the end hand of the pond.

i forgot what i came here to say. but i am here now and need to say something so i guess i will just say that i think that the world sucks.

the world needs a change and if you ask me i know the answer to that change. the only problem is that most people would say that is impossible or unrealistic. me. me, i think it is un-realistic but not impossible.

i also somewhat believe and more so hope/wish and pray that mother nature takes care of the problem itself. and after me putting it that you most or at least some should be able to understand where i am coming from and what i believe our problem is.

this might not be the place for this...but

when you are hungry what do you do? take 10 minutes drive your polluting car to mcdonalds and buy a fatty cheeseburger and fries and eat or maybe even drive to the grocery store any of 24 HOURS a day and get some grocerys that are NEVER out of stock. OR what about when you want to build something, you go to the lumber store and buy this much wood and get it usually this day. what about when we have a "COLD" or a "SORE THROAT" we go to the doctor and get medicine for something that will go away in 3 DAYS.

we are WAYYYYY to dependent on OTHER people and even OUR society.

what about our kids. i dont like admitting this, but i think public school ****s them up. (sorry to those who are upset by **** but i couldnt think of a better word)

in my opinion this 'world' that we live in, is to easy for us to live in. yes it is hard (it sucks), but in other ways (some mentioned above) it is all but WAY to easy.

well i guess i have said enough. for now.

and for those of you that have read my posts prior to this post, please let me know if i did a better job at typing out what i am typing or not?

i feel it is a little better but would like other opinions. please and thankyou.

and thanks again

theMaRTuiGaN

themartiguan: yes, this post shows vast improvement. But do try to refrain from using obscene language. English is a very rich language, and there are many alternatives.

And now a question for you: do you think you might be a happier person if you spent less time on your own?

this might not be the place for this...but

when you are hungry what do you do? take 10 minutes drive your polluting car to mcdonalds and buy a fatty cheeseburger and fries and eat or maybe even drive to the grocery store any of 24 HOURS a day and get some grocerys that are NEVER out of stock. OR what about when you want to build something, you go to the lumber store and buy this much wood and get it usually this day. what about when we have a "COLD" or a "SORE THROAT" we go to the doctor and get medicine for something that will go away in 3 DAYS.

we are WAYYYYY to dependent on OTHER people and even OUR society.

what about our kids. i dont like admitting this, but i think public school ****s them up. (sorry to those who are upset by **** but i couldnt think of a better word)

in my opinion this 'world' that we live in, is to easy for us to live in. yes it is hard (it sucks), but in other ways (some mentioned above) it is all but WAY to easy.

well i guess i have said enough. for now.

and for those of you that have read my posts prior to this post, please let me know if i did a better job at typing out what i am typing or not?

i feel it is a little better but would like other opinions. please and thankyou.

and thanks again

theMaRTuiGaN

Very amusing and accurate - it is too dependent (addictive) but that's the way it runs and draws in customers. The world has been dominated by man and the spoils shared out because apart from microbes and ourselves, who else is there to oppose us? Of course an unseen natural disaster like an asteroid or seismic activity on a grand scale could also spoil man's day but life is an opportunist and we'd need to go back to basics to survive ie every man for himself (lone wolfing it not pack snacking it).