Science Forums

Enviro-PLONK!

UncleAl

does anyoen know if mushrooms have been studied at all? they are excellent at breaking down cellulose. fast growing popular ones such as oysters could potentially break down a fair bit. the advantage beign space as they dont need light like plants. anyone know what exactly certain sp like oysters turn cellulose into?

From memory 90% of the world's fungi has not even been named yet.

i realise they are not really understood very much, but many species, especially gourmet, are studied quite a lot. i know stamets has or is doing a fair bit of research on oysters among otehrs and polution control and thign ssuch as oil spills. but i have yet to find anything about finding energy from them.

that was an interesting read above, but honestly i dont fully understand many of the words :eek2:

Gret idea Thanks for the link.

One problem with this.

There is a big push from the UN, and big chemical companies, to start using DDT again especially in Malaria affected area of Africa. All the reseach that showed DDT should be banned has been dismissed. (More likely people have forgotten about them and the big battles to get DDT banned)

DDT interferes with the reproductive capacity of phytoplankton and floats in the top micron of the sea.

The fact that most of our oxygen comes from phytoplankton does not seem to worry anyone.