Science Forums

An Inconvenient Truth

4x10^9 Third World parasites with average 2000 kcal/day metabolisms,

(4x10^9)(2000 kcal/day)(1000 cal/kcal)(365.24 days/year) = 2.92x10^18 metabolic calories/year; easily double that if they engage in manual labor.

Latent heat of fusion of ice is 80 cal/g. Density is 0.917 g/cm^3 at 0 C.

(2.92x10^18 cal)(1/80 g/cal)(1/0.917 cm^3/g)(1/10^15 cm^3/km^3) = 40 km^3 minimum of ice melted/year from body heat. 80 km^3/year of melted ice would not be unreasonable. Add daily cooking fires and stock animal metabolisms.

If you want to end Global Warming, stop sendng charity to the Third World. Let them die of their own hand.

you make a harsh point there Al, but how much heat does a power station pour out a day?

How many Third World parasites sum in value to a gigawatt power plant? Economic investment is not absolute price. We look at discounted cashflow/return on investment - what we will get back vs. what we could get back with other investment. Given that the Third World is a giant sump of remarkably active reproductive warrriors,

Science 312(5782) 1895(graphic at bottom) (2006)

the more you add together the less they are worth. But we already know that from the first four billion as baseline. How much of your paycheck do you deserve to keep?

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/brownies.jpg

NONE of it! Pay for the sins of your productivity.

Mind if I point out the flaw in your masterplan UncleAl?

Here it is.

Global warming is caused more due to the retention of heat, not its production on earth. What we get from the sun beats anything we can do.

Further, how can you be so sure that third world parasites, as you call them will be all threre is to it? The Other approximate 3X10^9 people won't contribute any heat at all?

And there are no other warm blooded organisms on earth?

This is a rather offending. It says some things in a way other than in words.

If you want to end Global Warming, stop sendng charity to the Third World. Let them die of their own hand.
This claim is simply and obviously wrong.

Compared to all sources of energy - Earth’s total “energy budget” - (it’s conventional to discuss such things in units of energy/time, or power, which I shall from here on), human metabolism is not a significant source of power:

Earth’s total power budget: about 1.74*10^17 W

World population: about 6.5*10^9

Power of a typical (about 2500 kcal/day) person: about 120 W

Power of world population: about 7.8*10^11 W, or 0.0005% of total.

Note that the normal solar variation is about 0.1% (over an 11 year cycle), or about 20,000 times as great as the total human contribution to the Earth’s power budget.

For this reason, well-informed discussions of the effects of human beings on global temperature focus not on the actual heat produced by human beings, but on the effect of human beings on the heat-retaining characteristics of the atmosphere.

Although scientifically invalid, I believe UncleAl’s claim illustrates an important social phenomenon: intense resentment by some members of wealthy societies against people of less wealthy ones. This attitude is, I believe, poorly founded in fact.

As a resource “the third world” (a 54 year old political term of dubious significance for at least the last 10 year) is of potentially greater value than any mineral resource, because it consists of human beings. At our present level of technology, many essential activities, particularly manufacturing of clothing, and agriculture, can only be efficiently done by human beings. If provided with sufficient trade wealth, large populations can have an invigorating effect on the world economy. The third world also contains large areas of some of the most agriculturally productive land on the planet.

As a result, thoughtful people of many political and philosophical persuasions view the third world not as “parasites”, but as a valuable and under-utilized resource. Efforts to encourage it development is not viewed entirely as charity, but also as sound investment.

Your a very ignorant person Uncle Al, i cant believe theres people like you in the world. If you'd rather see the majority of the human race die, you obviously have no feelings. You obviously havnt seen the videos where little african kids are too weak to move, or where the women have to walk 20 miles just to get drinking water that will probably kill them anyway. The people who live in 3rd world countries are 50x stronger than you'l ever be and they could live on there own with no aid, but if you'd rather not help them then your quite literally a disgrace to the human race. Anyway who cares that they contribute to global warming. 1 of them in a year would use as much energy as you do in a day, so id rather see you die. Global warming cant be reversed anyway so this post is irrevelent.

Sorry i got a bit carried away :doh:

Your an ******* Uncle Al, i cant believe theres people like you in the world.

Barry, I don't think your statement comes as any revelation to Uncle Al. He may even agree with you. :shrug: He has seen all of the things that you describe and has reached a different conclusion from doing so than you have.

In looking at your post objectivly, I would suggest that you get your thought better organized before posting if you are trying to participate in discussion and be taken seriously.

where the women have to walk 20 miles just to get drinking water that will probably kill them anyway

You advocate helping people, with walking as their only form of transportation, to live in areas that are 20 miles from the nearest water sourse, and that water might kill them? If people choose to live in such a place, then they don't need my help to enable their insanity.

The people who live in 3rd world countries are 50x stronger than you'l ever be and they could live on there own with no aid

I remember as a kid that Dracula had the strength of 10 men. And the wolfman had the strength of 7 men. And Frankenstein's Monster had the strength of a dozen men. Now I can add to that the legendary "3rd world man" with the strength of 50! He could beat five Draculas, or seven wolfmen, or 50 Uncle Al's. Amazing!

What is most amazing is that Al is saying that we should give no aid. And you are saying that no aid is needed. Very interesting.

but if you'd rather not help them then your quite literally a disgrace to the human race.

OK, let me get this straight. If we do not help people who do not need the help, we are a disgrace. You logic is... umm... yours.

Take a breath next time. If you want to be angry with what Al said, that is fine, but express it in such a way that your argument has some weight. All you did this time was make him smile at you, I am sure.

Bill

What is most amazing is that Al is saying that we should give no aid. And you are saying that no aid is needed. Very interesting.

Uncle Al encourages everyone to personally heap boons upon the unproductive reproductive. Don't legislate that Uncle Al should do it. Uncle Al would purchase a desirable future of ability, not a rotted future of disability.

Four billion Third World bodies emit heat sufficient to melt 40-80 cubic kilometers of ice each year. That is two lines of simple arithmetic, not manifold sheafs of differential equations with a thousand adjustable parameters grinding away in a supercomputer. That is an inescapable fact. That is Global Warming. No Carbon Tax on Everything can possibly counterbalance it.

A power circular saw building homes for productive citizens is no less desirable than a poxy starving meat puppet who remarkably averages 8+ surviving kids when a First World family averages 1.33 (e.g., Japan, Science 312(5782) 1894-1897 (2006)).

The point that those to die are to be from 3rd world countries derailed his support.

Kill the entire First World, poof! One day later, how is that different from allowing the Third World to die of its own hand from cessation of external charity? You permanently stopped the charity with murder while Uncle Al would do it with glee.

Reality has no rational counterargument.

This is fun! Hey Do-Gooders, for every $(US)1.00 ripped from your paycheck by jackbooted State compassion, how much actually makes it to the presumed targets? Domestically, less than $0.20 arrives to do something. Government, administration, oversight, fraud, and not-for-profit corporations are expensive. For charity sent overseas... giggle, snort, ha ha ha.

01 August 1971 Concert for Bangladesh gate was $243,418 and album royalties to date are about $15 million. Go ahead, look it up! How much did Bangladesh get FOB Bangaldesh? Well... it all went to UNICEF, and bureaucrats have to eat. 35 years later, they are still working on it. Compare to Dickens' "Jarndyce vs. Jarndyce."

I can't believe the people that take Unc so seriously.....
Clearly UncleAl’s claim is not a one to be taken seriously. Anyone able to perform the data gathering and arithmetic necessary to illustrate its scientific incorrectness is quickly aware of this.

Unfortunately, many readers (and, I fear, a few members) of hypography lack this skill. As claims like this are permitted to be posted at hypography – as they should be in an open forum – it’s important that such “bad science” be argued against. Otherwise, the many readers of this site may be either ill informed, or draw the conclusion that the majority of our members agree with it.

PS: Please, everyone, remain on this thread’s topic – the claim that the death of all or most of the third world would “end global warming” – resisting any urge to stray into a discussion in opposition or support of extremist political ideology.