Science Forums

The Third Electrical Current- Sully DC [SDC] Patented

ArchAngel

Could you spell out exactly the difference between SDC and a four-phase AC voltage being applied to an electrolite?

In any form of AC you switch anode, and cathode.
In a balanced three-phase AC line, which is anode, and which is cathode?

Could you spell out exactly the difference between SDC and a four-phase AC voltage being applied to an electrolite?

That would depend on how you wired the four phase, and by four phase I assume you mean four AC lines 90 degrees out of phase from one to the next.

If you put the four lines on four separate electrodes water will electrolyze, but polarity is always changing so the result will be an unstable mixed gas. If you connected each end of an electrode to lines 180 degrees out of phase and did the same for the other you would have either a short circuit through the electrolyte between the ends of the electrode, or anode and cathode switching ends of the electrode. Anode, and cathode would be switching so the result would be an unstable mixed gas.

With SDC there is only one point of origin, and one destination at any one time. Anode is always anode, and cathode is always cathode. When the cycle advances current flows through the electrode from the opposite direction. You have current alternating through the electrode, but only going from anode to cathode through the electrolyte. Negative ions would go to anode, and positive ions would go to cathode resulting in two separate stable gasses.

In a balanced three-phase AC line, which is anode, and which is cathode?

It changes through time. Each line will switch between anode and cathode 120 degrees out of phase.

Oh my, this makes a odd form of sense.

hmm, can you outline a few experiments showing what you're talking about? What tesla coil setup?

I'm not sure this could be applied to a Tesla coil. You have an EM coupling, not current flow between the coils.

There are several examples of applications in the patent, but the cold cathode light, electric motor, and others would be beyond most peoples capability. Applications will lie where you have direct current flow through a fluid medium capable of conducting current. For now the electrolyzer looks to be all the home experimenter could apply this too.

Can you think of any applications where there is DC current flow through a fluid medium?

Everyone just go and see how discussion on SDC ended on the forum to which link ArchAngel posted at the beggining of this thread.

http://forum.physorg.com/index.php?showtopic=5266

Mr. Sully (being totaly disproven) made himself scarce while his "invention" was put to basic physics ground.

How unfortunate that few of them get it. For all their running around the issue, and patting themselves on the back what did they get? No one showed a similar example, and said go read a book.

If you want to prove that its nothing new you need to show a previous example. All have failed.

Where else do you see both AC and DC current flow through a coil?

Just one example please.

Well............NOWHERE!! Not even in sdc system. You see, you have ac flowing trough the coil and dc trough the electrolyte.(maybe if you see AC as DC swaping polarities)

And how wold you supposed to build an electrolyzer with two coils? If one coil is an electrode and the other cathode, how would you make possible that extracted gas wouldnt become ustable? This setup is no go becouse the coils are put together.

Even if you would put them apart, how would you shake them(if that is the catch of almighty "sdc") to make any diffrence from classic electrolysis? (well maybe you could do that with simple ac motor)

As for examples. Cathode light? We already have that. Electric motors? If you put anything that carries current into a motor....... well just say that you have erosion and one bizzare example of chaos.

If you want to prove that its nothing new you need to show a previous example. All have failed.

Where else do you see both AC and DC current flow through a coil?

That's not what I meant, I meant that it isn't a "new kind" of current.

IMHO your misconception lies in not understanding that AC and DC are just two specific cases amongst infinitely many possibilities. In essence there is one kind of current. Grab a mike connected to an amp and talk into it. Consider the collector or drain current of one stage in the amp, while you are talking. Is it AC or is it DC? It is neither, it is simply a current varying in time. You haven't invented some new type of current.

You might or might not have found an improved way of electrolysing water, this I can't say as I don't fully understand the advantage. You presumeably have a resistance along the electrodes, so the AC in each would be varying the potential along it and hence that between each pair of points between the two. If this improves the chemical process fine, but I wouldn't call it "the third current", as you claim.

I have looked at the diagram. This is BS.

You have two conductors in a fluid medium. The conductors aren't moving. The one conductor is supposed to be + and the other -. The current is flowing up and down the one, which will make the DC flow to the other go up and down as well, generating AC in it.

Won't work. The first conductor has to complete the circuit by itself in order to have AC flowing up and down it. And then, the polarity switching of the current in the first will simply induce some current in the second electrode. The flow through the fluid medium will be dictated by that tiny little point where the two electrodes are closest to each other. Besides, once you create a coil out of it (as far as I understand) and the coil isn't insulated (required if you want DC to cross to the other coil) then the AC will just take the shortest route in the first coil and jump through the electrolyte medium instead of flowing completely through the coil.

Did the patent office go for a complete ball of manure since Einstein resigned?

If the first conductor doesn't complete the circuit by itself, how do you propose the AC to move 'up and down' it? And, if it does complete the circuit, why would the current cross the fluid medium to the other, except through normal EM induction? And the induction you'll get will be exactly the same frequency as the induced AC. And it will also be AC.

Basically, what you and mr. Sully describe is simply one very wet induction coil - with absolutely no novel properties, apart from the fact that seeing as neither of the coils can be insulated in order for this to work, when dipped in an electrolyte it simply won't work - it won't even induce electricity into the second coil.

The flow through the fluid medium will be dictated by that tiny little point where the two electrodes are closest to each other. Besides, once you create a coil out of it (as far as I understand) and the coil isn't insulated (required if you want DC to cross to the other coil) then the AC will just take the shortest route in the first coil and jump through the electrolyte medium instead of flowing completely through the coil.

I'll get back to the rest later, but I couldn't let this go unanswered. At any time there is no more than ONE power supply connection to the coil, and the polarity never changes. You do not have anode on one end, and cathode on the other. Anode and cathode are always separated by the electrolyte. It can't short through the water because its not going to the far end of the coil. Current is going everywhere that current can be carried between anode and cathode then across the fluid.

Fluid mediums capable of conducting current do not have the same properties as a solid wire. They allow multi-dimensional current flow. But up until now the only ways to control it were geometry, motion, and magnetic fields. Mr. Sullivan has found a simple, and effective way to do what so many others have failed to do for generations using the best minds.

:hihi: The burden is yours to prove that it is something new. So far you've failed...

If you claim that its nothing new the burden of proof is on you. Its quite another thing to say that you think you saw this example before, or that you don't believe its new. The Patent Office agreed that it was new. If you know better than them please provide one example of where its been done before. One way or another I would like some proof. I have yet to find anything.

I'm not sure this could be applied to a Tesla coil. You have an EM coupling, not current flow between the coils.

There are several examples of applications in the patent, but the cold cathode light, electric motor, and others would be beyond most peoples capability. Applications will lie where you have direct current flow through a fluid medium capable of conducting current. For now the electrolyzer looks to be all the home experimenter could apply this too.

Can you think of any applications where there is DC current flow through a fluid medium?

Well, electroplating comes to mind, something a home experimenter can do...but sully looks like it would suck for that.

At the same time I'm just curious how this actually changes anything? in essence you're just stripping an ungrounded extension cord, dropping it in a bucket of water, and runnning a drill on the load end...which sadly probably has been done before by somebodywho put a penny in their fuse box.