Science Forums

Spirit???

hallenrm

Hypography is teeming with spiritualists and anti too!

It's time that hypographiles indulge in a discussion about the spirit.

The spirit behind initiating this thread, is not to advocate or denounce spirits, it's just to initiate a spirited discussion.

Any takers?

:eek: :evil: :D :eek_big: :eek: :hyper: :( :D ;) :doh:

Here are some starter thoughts:

1. SPIRIT is no entity in the sense of having form.
  2. The spirit is not energy, it is only structure and processes.
  3. It is the vital principle or animating force within living things
  4. Spirit (official designation: MER-A) is the first of the two Mars Exploration Rover Missions!!!
  5. Spirit is a Belgian Flemish political party formed after the falling apart of the old moderate nationalistic Volksunie party

That's the spirit!!!!:eek_big: :hyper: :evil: :eek: :eek: :doh:

In my opinion, the spirit refers to the part of consiousness or intellegent life's mentality that one may describe as the closest part of oneself.

It could refer to the portion of our self that provides power to our observing self. Or the consiousness that is not mingled with thoughts originating from the brain.

I dunno. The spirit is quite a dicy topic.

No other topic can make smart people sound so ignorant. If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand. You either have it or you don't.

How can someone be so contemplative of what they see, yet so unaware of the fact that they see?

If You can't explain it could you perhaps elaborate?What is "it" that people have or don't have? Spirit? The ability to sense spirit?

Ed

I would have to say, -using what has come to me and not something that I have gone to find-

Spirit is who you are and are able to best connect to when one has a realization of realizing yourself.

When you are Inspired by some great cause you also become very In-spirit and You have a clear and clean connection to a purpose that your inspires (inspirits) your spirit (you the spirit) .

A purpose connecting to you, is the answer of the question to your purpose.

when cutting out some parts you can see the relationship.

realization of realizing yourself

Spirit is who you are

Inspired by some great cause

answer of the question to your purpose

This all engages you into your spirit.

If You can't explain it could you perhaps elaborate?What is "it" that people have or don't have? Spirit? The ability to sense spirit?

Ed

A sense of connection to the bigger picture which is not dependent upon your understanding or perception of it, or perhaps maybe the ability to trust in your own intuition above that of another.

Spirit is a concept that you may understand or not. It is a part of the conciousness of all human beings, you may not realize that you have it, but everybody has it!!!:phones:

Here are some starter thoughts:

[*]SPIRIT is no entity in the sense of having form.

[*]The spirit is not energy, it is only structure and processes.

[*]It is the vital principle or animating force within living things

Spirit is a realm; a realm of higher reality wherein the majority of the inhabited universe moves, lives, and have their being. Spirit is also the nature of God, and all that is divine. Material creatures are taught about Spirit and the spirit realm through dispensational epochs; on our world these few celestial visitations have, for various reasons, largely gone awry, resulting in more or less confusion about the spiritual realm, to the extent that many even doubt its existence.

Mortal human beings experience life on the worlds of time and space in an initial material existence, and thereby are granted an opportunity to become aware of the larger nature of the reality of the universe, each according to their individual choice and perception. Every mortal personality is indwelt by a fragment of Spirit; were it not for this indwelling spirit presence, spirit would remain incomprehensible. As it is, the requisite thinking and decision making necessary to discover and partially comprehend the spirit realm eludes many otherwise capable personalities.

Evolutionary religions, the evolving theologies of men, make use of the various divine visitations and the more or less distorted and partial revelations of truth which have accompanied them. Even so, mankind recognizes the general thrust of divinity as the process whereby one may strike step with the universe, and thereby eternity. Thus we make a choice to pursue eternal life, or not; the goal being to evolve from the material realm to the spiritual realm; which is essential to any hope of survival beyond this initial material existence.

—Saitia

Sounds to me like what I knew most of the time I've been alive. To me the spirit lies not in mass and energy, but in the very most fundementals of the universe.

The spirit is the one that is three, it is the one that desires to move, but desires to be still, or it is the two that behave as one pretending to be three. Either way. I've voiced it before, I believe that all is one, and one is all. That the universe is god, and we are ficta of the universe's imaginings. That the universe is one is all. that we are one of the one, and we are all.

The spiritual sense then would be an interaction of the one with the one, and therefore our awareness of one another. We are only aware of one another when we choose to open our mind's eye and see, until then we are in shadow and unknowning of our presence in the universe.

I believe that Buddha, Jesus, Krishna, and many other such beings opened their eye to the fullest they could and saw as much of the one as one can see. I believe that this is not unique to them, that one does not have to be born of this or that person to be of the divine, for we are all god's children within the one's garden, we are all, everyone of us divine. We are the salt of the earth, and within the mustard seed.

Those who suffer do so, because they choose to and in doing so pull themselves away from the kingdom of heaven, which is the universe where in we live. For the blind do not see, and they choose not to see. They do not trust in one and they do not trust in one another.

Just my feelings regarding the spirit.

Spirit is a concept that you may understand or not. It is a part of the conciousness of all human beings, you may not realize that you have it, but everybody has it!!!:Waldo:

Is there an experiment that can show empirical evidence of the existence of spirit? Until you can I remain unconvinced.

Question: Can you give emperical evidence that you think? That you can show to others such that they *know* without a doubt that you think.

There a class of questions and Hypothesis that you can not prove. that doesn't make them invalid, nor does it answer them. Infact the fact that you can not prove them, likewise means you cannot disprove them, or at least as I understand it. What you end up with is an Inconclusive result.

another question: Can you prove emperically that Time exists?

Question: Can you give emperical evidence that you think?
Yes. Several reproducible techniques, such as EEG, MEG,fMRI, and PET, show, in a reproducible manner, that various neurophysiological events accompany subjective reports of thinking. In a very limited way, it is even possible with these techniques to discern what a subject is thinking.

No present day neurological imaging technique is sufficiently high resolution to provide a detailed explanation of precisely how neurophysiology produces the subjective senses of thought and self-awareness. However, it is reasonable to anticipate that if and when such imaging technology become available, these attributes, long-standing inspiration for archaic and modern idea of mind-body dualism, including the idea of soul, spirit, ruah, etc. will be show to emerge from entirely mechanical processes.

That you can show to others such that they *know* without a doubt that you think.
I don’t think that, in their common usage, the terms “*know*” and “doubt” are sufficiently defined to meaningfully answer this question.