Science Forums

Retroactive social guilt

HydrogenBond

I would like to present a touchy topic connected to retroactive social guilt. Picture if our caveman ancester injured a bear. That bear has the right to be pee-ed off at our ancester and if there had been animal/human courts he could seek restitution for the injury. Since there were no such courts then, should we, as humans, be accountable for the injury, eons later, simply because we are human? And do the descendants of the bear have the right to be compensated for that injury, even if they never personally suffered from the injury?

I would like to present a touchy topic connected to retroactive social guilt. Picture if our caveman ancester injured a bear. That bear has the right to be pee-ed off at our ancester and if there had been animal/human courts he could seek restitution for the injury. Since there were no such courts then, should we, as humans, be accountable for the injury, eons later, simply because we are human? And do the descendants of the bear have the right to be compensated for that injury, even if they never personally suffered from the injury?

Huh?

Bears have no concept of money or retroactivity...

Take this issue up with Jews, Black Slaves, America Indians. :naughty:

I take responsibility for my own actions, not the actions of my parents or those who came before. Pure and simple. If I can make things better (things that are worse as a result of the actions of those who came before), then super. However, reparations are not appropriate in such a case.

The whole idea of retroactive guilt is based on clan mentality. A clan is like a multicellular human but composed of human cells. The leaders are the brains, the religious are the heart, the army are the fists, industry is the backbone, etc. If one affiliates oneself with the body of the clan then retroactive guilt and retribution may be appropriate. If my hand commits a crime my whole body will suffer in jail.

If one is a human cell that departs from the clan mentality, one is no longer subject to the retroactive guilt and retribution. It is no longer your hand that commits the crime. Even if one separates from the clan, often people will pigeon hole one into a clan due to similar characteristics. This can make one the victim of an opposing clan, forcing one back into the clan for the safety. Clan tend to create opposing clans.

I try to be part of the human clan. The body of the human clan is derranged often stepping on its own feets, while hitting itself in the head.