Science Forums

British drought

Read in Yahoo that Britain is suffering its worst drought in 70 years!

Me being from the Southern bit of Africa, we get dry spells every few years - like really dry spells. Water restrictions are part of life here every five or so years - simply because the dams aren't full and the acquifers have dropped their levels.

But I guess experiencing the same in Britain must be a bit strange! The Brits are forever complaining about the rain! I associate Britain with constant rainy weather.

So how bad is it really? Any Brits out there to tell us?

Nkt?

And how far's this dry spell spread out? Tormod? You guys noticed anything different in Norway? Apparently it's been the driest 18-month period, so it's been going for awhile.

Well, it's raining here and predicted to rain for the next week - typical British weather. The main problem appears to be that since the water supply was privatised there hasn't been much investment in the network and vary few projects to expand it, hence 3.6 Billion litres wasted each day - would there be a drought situation if this was stopped, I think not.

There are five factors at work.

1) A definite reduction in average rainfall. (Keep in mind that rainfall patterns vary enormously across the country, from over 100" per annum in parts of the mountainous north west, to barely 20" in the flat, rain shadow lands in the south east.

2) Insufficient investment in new reservoirs. (As noted by Justin.)

3) Excessive transportation loss. (As noted by Justin.)

4) Increased per capita usage.

5) Increased run off because of land use practices and spreading suburbs.

Today it was raining here, in the NE of Scotland, though not persistently and not heavily. The countryside is green and my efforts to preserve endangered weed species is proving fruitful.;)

If London has run its taps dry, where is Thomas Crapper when you need him?
Ahhh yes, the supposed inventor or the modern toilet. Actually he is not really credited with it's invention but rather for a few refinements he made to it's function. By the way, the profanity 'crap' was in use long before he was born soooooo, we can't honor him with that distinction either.......................Infy