Science Forums

A duel with god

sanctus

Just for the record this is my 999th post and I haevn't yet decided where to write the next one....

But on topic, I just read somewhere ("obiezione" a swiss-italian journal on alternatives to army) that if you are a believer you have to be against atomic weapons and not because of the usual thing of "loving your enemy etc." (what I actually do believe without beeing a believer), but because with those bombs man can destroy all god's creation and is therefore duelling god.

Don't get me wrong I don't believe god created anything (what does not imply that I have no respect for people who do!), but I'm curious to hear what believers think of this.

I'm not a believer either, but it's time that we bother to justify our beliefs.

It will be much more nice if we scientifically called nature 'god' the way we call human society 'mankind'

Now we can say that ... um... g.. god created everything.

PS: just joking, but I think that you should post your 1000th post in the announcement forum...

In the Old Testament God seemed content with war. There are many places where he threatened even his chosen people with war and slavery if they didn't get with the program. Many times, he backed up his threat.

In the New Testament, things changed, with war being the domaine of the "dark side". Many cultures will go back to the Old Testament when they need war. Nuclear weapons are only bad if we use them. If they are used as a deterent, they do more good than evil. The weapon is not evil, the evil lies within the human heart. The deterent replaced hate with fear. The fear led to wisdom and self control.

well, if you are a buddhaist, then you are not contesting god at all, infact there is no god, yet it is a religion, on another note, if you are a native from the virgin islands, the nuke may be able to destroy your god, to an islamic person, you can not contest god, because the real world is heaven... i think, sanctus is looking for an answer from the christian people, yes it is christianity that says war is bad, and yet throughout history shed blood of millions, if not billions of people in an attempt to spread what wasnt even the word of Jesus, cuz Jesus taught pure Judhaism...

But yeah, duel on.

I am an agnostic, and i do have many close friends who are of all kinds of different religions, all of which i do indeed respect...