Science Forums

Grand Thought Unification

IDMclean

I was wondering if any attempts at a Grand Unification of Science, Religion and Philosophy has ever been attempted? If so by whom? How far did it progress, if it progressed at all?

I personally am attempting to reconsile these three to each other every moment of the day. I've made some amazing leaps in my understanding of the universe, people, society, tools, past, present and future. Siddhartha I would think is one of the early Religious Scientific Philosophers.

Siddhartha, is more commonly known as buddha, in case anyone was wondering.

I don't see a real divison between the three, as with all dynamic systems they are seemingly different but it's superficial.

One can understand the universe and the nature of sentience through a study of any of the three. The only main difference, other than shop talk, between all three is that of emphasis. Without going into semanitics and unneeded details, I want to examine the similarities between all forms of thought.

How do Karl Marx's thoughts related to Buddhism? Is there a glimps of the Tao in Quantum Physics?

Here's some bases to start with, lets examine the definitions of each Super subject.

Philosophy

Religion

Science

One area where they all come together is in the brain. Our perception of physical reality (science), mystical reality (religion) and intellectual reality (philosophy) is all dependant on the brain. The animal brain does not allow any of these thoughts, while the human brain creates the need to ask such questions and accept some type of answer.

What my theory is, is that the human brain has a natural potential for the neurons to branch. This leads to more complex thought organizations, in potentia. Our need to question and learn is driven by the need to fill in this potentia.

One may notice how religion deals with God and eternity, implicit of the most extrapolated potentia, that is impossible to nail down and prove. Philosophy, including theoretical science, is intermediate, with a possible definite answer is sight but slightly out of reach. While science is the least potentiated, being the only one that allows tangible results.

In this science forum, the staff tries hard to help everyone nail down things into tangible relationships. But many want to work at the second and even third levels where things get more subject to opinion or even impossible to prove, but which neverthless, still are important exercises of the brain in an attempt to fill in highly extrapolated potentia.

But in the same token, a house is only as good as the foundation. One needs to be rooted in the tangiblle to have a good shot of making higher levels line up with reality.

I was wondering if any attempts at a Grand Unification of Science, Religion and Philosophy has ever been attempted? If so by whom? How far did it progress, if it progressed at all?

Im not so sure I have heard or read of any well known such theories. Although I have been working on this entire concept, it all kind of took off on its own a year or so ago. I've been making some pretty good progress in this unification.

A topic on this would be interesting to start up.

Well lets start out with clarifing what we mean by Religion, Philosophy, and Science.

Also lets set categories of belief systems based on these supers.

Religion:

Secular Humanism

Taoism

Buddhism

Catholicism (has mutlipul sub sets with their own richness)

Judaism

Islamism

Hinduism

Shintoism

Paganism

Wicca (lacking in richness, need better source of information)

Wuism (no Wikipedia Source, Wuism is a old chinese animism belief, the apparent predecessor of Shintoism)

Philosophy:

Humanism

Existentialism

Deconstructionism

Consequentialism

Utilitarianism

Egoism

Marxism

Rationalism

Empiricism

Pre-socratic Philosophy

Confucianism

Taoism

Buddhism

Platonic realism

Pythagoreanism

Just to name a few...

Science:

Biological Science

Social science

Physical science

Psychological Science

Perinormal phenomenon

I want to include allot more than just all that, but I only have so much information in my head and I don't know enough about allot of things to be able to archive it all. Some of the things I know about I don't even know their names.

Also I know that I am going to get hurranged but I want to include so called paranormal science in this all, I'm am just looking for a source for it. As I follow the doctrine that "Any sufficently advanced techonology is indistiguishable from magic.". Just because you don't know what question to ask to eventually arrive at a satisifactory answer doesn't mean it should be excluded.

I have the distict sense that the universe doesn't "exist" when I'm not looking at it, however I can not prove or disprove this. There is no known experiment to test this hypothesis. It doesn't mean it's not true only that it is not observable.

the human brain is capable of thinking in many dimensions and even dreaming in other dimensions. it should be obvious that all these thoughts do not lead to sensible or provable hypotheses. that is why we have so many different

religions. it is because different people from different cultures and points of observance formulate expressions of phenomenae they observe. the one thing that is constant is math. that is the same for everyone although it may be expressed by different symbols. science is science for everyone. philosophy and religions are expressed according to your culture and upbringing. dreams seem to be inexplicable. i would think that all brains fire similarly no matter where you live, the difference is culture and perception of things around you.

why be egocentric about the universe..

"I have the distict sense that the universe doesn't "exist" when I'm not looking at it, however I can not prove or disprove this. There is no known experiment to test this hypothesis. It doesn't mean it's not true only that it is not observable. ''

fortunately the universe exists whether you look at it or not. after all, i am looking at it also, and so is the rest of humanity, and we all see the same thing!

Yes, however in quantum physics a observer is needed for a wave to collapse to a particle, and therefore be measurable.

I am just stating one of the basic untestable hypothesis. It is the same as if a tree falls in a forest, and no one is around to observe it, does it make a sound?

Doesn't have to be me, it could be you in that same experiment, and if I am watching you I still am not watching what is behind me. i do not deny that the universe exist, only question wheather it exists when I, or any other observer is not observing it.

You said:

''Yes, however in quantum physics a observer is needed for a wave to collapse to a particle, and therefore be measurable.''

i understand this to mean that very few waves collapse, since there are not many people waiting around to measure that particular event. if you can't tell what is behind you, just back up until you hit something. that something was behind you.

The collision in this case is the observation.

the point of it is, that you can not measure something without first observing it. Observation is not unique to sentient beings, infact in QP there is no definition of what an Observer is, as I understand it.

You said:

''Yes, however in quantum physics a observer is needed for a wave to collapse to a particle, and therefore be measurable.''

i understand this to mean that very few waves collapse, since there are not many people waiting around to measure that particular event.

You're on the right track, but it's a bit more subtle.

The collapsed wave function (Psi) IS reality. And there are an infinite number of collapsing waves (in fact, with all of the infinity of possible choices/arrangesments and with each passing moment wave "functions" collapse). Granted, like yourself, I'm no expert in QM, but that's how I've come to understand it.

Cheers. :shade:

All objects "exist", it is simply a matter of observing them, IE collapsing the waveform.

I'm fuzzy on the whole wave thing as it is something I've only been studying in the last 6 years or so. But I believe that it is when distructive wave interferance happens that a wave collapses into a particle... right? I'm no expert on QM and QT. Anyone care to toss in?

oh and cause I forgot it.

Science:

Quantum mechanics

I personally am attempting to reconsile these three to each other every moment of the day. I've made some amazing leaps in my understanding of the universe, people, society, tools, past, present and future. Siddhartha I would think is one of the early Religious Scientific Philosophers.

What you speak of forms the basis of a theory of everything .. or GUT .. Einstein theorised this in his last days ..

Science is the observation of and philosophy is the interpretation of what is seen .. it all however began with a simple thought .. a philosophical thought .. and throughout time .. complex technology simplified the elements .. through the science of alchemy ..

What we have now is .. known as metaphysics .. the other study is quantum physics .. these two sciences are now linking together and have been for some time .. one by one the world at large is learning .. this is known as collective consciousness of individual thought to form a collective ..

Thought can be observed and is said to "travel faster than the spped of light and go backwards"

Grand Unification needs every man and woman to be accounted for .. one by one to become consciously aware of the nature of the universe .. and to realise the power of ONE .. the self ..

This is the ultimate grand unified feild theory ..

Kind regards

Ashley

The mind does not differenate what goes on without from what goes on within

The Holotropic Mind

Crime Prevention Through meditation?

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.

- Albert Einstein, in The New Convergence

The whole history of science has been the gradual realization that events do not happen in an arbitrary manner, but that they reflect a certain underlying order, which may or may not be divinely inspired.

- Stephen W. Hawking

To know that we know what we know, and to know that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge.

- Copernicus

Do you remember how electrical currents and "unseen waves" were laughed at? The knowledge about man is still in its infancy.

- Albert Einstein

Knowledge is structured in consciousness. The process of education takes place in the field of consciousness; the prerequisite to complete education is therefore the full development of consciousness -- enlightenment. Knowledge is not the basis of enlightenment, enlightenment is the basis of knowledge.

- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

The spirit down here in man and the spirit up there in the sun, in reality are only one spirit, and there is no other one.

- The Upanishads

All speech, action, and behavior are fluctuations of consciousness. All life emerges from, and is sustained in, consciousness. The whole universe is the expression of consciousness. The reality of the universe is one unbounded ocean of consciousness in motion.

- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

Consciousness is the basis of all life and the field of all possibilities. Its nature is to expand and unfold its full potential. The impulse to evolve is thus inherent in the very nature of life.

- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.

- Giordano Bruno

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force… We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.

- Max Planck, Nobel Prize-winning Father of Quantum Theory

Mind and intelligence are woven into the fabric of our universe in a way that altogether surpasses our understanding.

- Freeman Dyson

All great truths begin as blasphemies.

- George Bernard Shaw

I hope that get's people's minds going.

Have fun :shrug: