Science Forums

Crying

Chacmool

I am not going to research this, but lets take a random guess anyways, see what happens.

Hm, we are experience intense emotions we tend to close our eyes, the gland that produces tears and watering your eyes in general is forced to activate. From the horomonal inbalance of the new emotion. Since your eyes are closed, you begin pushing the newly made liquid out, thus tears.

On second thought disregard that idea...it makes very little sense.:cup:

• 2 weeks later...

Humour a bemused fiction writer here.

I'm curious about the physiological effects. For example heartrate increases, blood pressure goes up, muscles spasm and so on. What causes the other responses the body goes through with crying, aside from tears? What actually is it, medically speaking, that causes the symptoms of emotional stress? Like what chain of events goes on to cause a lot of people's temperaturee to rise, involuntary shaking, all that? I suppose it's the cause of and effects of crying that I don't get. And not just that - what changes in order for "calming down"? How is the process stopped?

Just interested.

Also, there is a decrease in cortical inhabition of the limbic system, changes in blood flow, heart rate, etc., all highly related to the fight or flight response in the parasympathetic nervous system. Not sure, but it's possible that there is an influence from the M3 muscarinic receptors which are located in many glandular areas and cause vasoconstriction and bronchoconstriction. Just guessing on that last part though.

Also, there is a decrease in cortical inhabition of the limbic system, changes in blood flow, heart rate, etc., all highly related to the fight or flight response in the parasympathetic nervous system. Not sure, but it's possible that there is an influence from the M3 muscarinic receptors which are located in many glandular areas and cause vasoconstriction and bronchoconstriction. Just guessing on that last part though.

::gasp::

I barely understood you InfiniteNow.

Sorry. ;)

Our cortex is responsible for more "executive" functions like math and body movement, but it also serves to hold back full force of our emotions... those which are tied to the more reptilian part of our brains. That's the hormone stuff, and can get way out of hand if not countered by our more evolved brain (this is the cortical inhibition part).

Those reptilian parts of the brain, the inner brain, are part of the nervous system which help to regulate body temperature, heart rate, breathing and so forth. When we are emotional, it is more related to the inner brain as well, so when our cortex does not inhibit the emotional brain (I'm using reptilian, inner, and emotional brain interchangably to represent the same thing), emotions get more intense and crying may be a factor.

There is also a group of receptors all throughout the body known as M3. These tend to be grouped more heavily in sinus and glandular areas. Their primary function is to restrict blood vessels and do similar restriction within the lungs. My thought is that perhaps crying results from these restrictions, but I really wasn't sure and wanted to point out that it was just a guess.

:)

Cheers. :cup:

Fear. When I used to get angery, I would start sobbing. The kids made fun of me, cause I would stand there with my fists clenched, red in the face, tears streaming down my face. Their laughter fueled my fire, and I would grow angery and more fearful.

I was afraid for them. When I got angery I knew I would hurt someone, and that it would make them unhappy, but I felt it was nessessary to teach them that I wasn't messing around and that they had wronged me. I was always afraid that I would kill someone, that I would lose control completely and I would strangle them... or worse I would find as I had found with anger, that I would allow myself the freedom to end their life, that I would never lose control and that I would of my own volition cease their functions.

Pain would be in there, not as a seperate entity, but one in the same.

Appreciation would be the next quickest to bring me to tears. I cry most often anymore because of love, and beauty, as an expression of appreciation.

I was afraid for them. When I got angery I knew I would hurt someone, and that it would make them unhappy, but I felt it was nessessary to teach them that I wasn't messing around and that they had wronged me. I was always afraid that I would kill someone, that I would lose control completely and I would strangle them... or worse I would find as I had found with anger, that I would allow myself the freedom to end their life, that I would never lose control and that I would of my own volition cease their functions.

:)

Tears: Liquid medication administered for the healing of the soul....................Infy
Explain this peculiar behavior for me if you can. The only time I ever remember crying from something hurtful was when my father died. On the other hand, I often cry when I'm extremely joyful, like when someone says something nice about me or does something to show me their kindness..............................Infy