Science Forums

Hho

C1ay

This "water fuel" is also known as Kleins gas. I have seen multiple articles and reports covering this topic. It seems like a viable area to look into in the future, possible making hydrogen fuel cells more efficient. As of now however, this is really just a high-tech method of welding.

I would keep an eye on it in the future however.

so its just a premixed hydrogen oxygen fuel.. thats not fun at all

No. Brown's gas is what you get when you electrolize water without separating the hydrogen and oxygen, but not a premix made from the isolated monatomic elements themselves. It is mainly diatomic hydrogen and oxygen that is very dangerous though. It does have some applications in welding and fusing materials together. You don't want people filling fuels tanks in their vehicles with it though. A fender-bender could become pretty violent.

No. Brown's gas is what you get when you electrolize water without separating the hydrogen and oxygen, but not a premix made from the isolated monatomic elements themselves. It is mainly diatomic hydrogen and oxygen that is very dangerous though. It does have some applications in welding and fusing materials together. You don't want people filling fuels tanks in their vehicles with it though. A fender-bender could become pretty violent.

You are right. I have seen big explosions originate from hydrogen-oxygen perfect mixtures.

But they are also a very nice blasts.

The mixture is not all that viable as fuel.

It's better to do the car engine way of just mixing before ignition...

Klein need not have patented it, the idea is OOOOLLLD See Brown's Gas

"Brown's gas (named for its inventor, Yull Brown) is a mixture of oxygen and hydrogen produced by electrolyzing water in a special way. Its proponents claim that it has unusual properties unlike those of an ordinary mixture of diatomic hydrogen and oxygen."

This is another patent office screw-up.

After a LOT of searching I found out Brown's U.S. patent #4014777 is in DISPUTE!

http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=4014777.PN.&OS=PN/4014777&RS=PN/4014777 for a look at the patent.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN%2F4081656 related patent

P.S. the disputer is William A. Rhodes who claims the original discovery (he's cited in the above link)

also due to passing the gas through an arc (cited in patent) The gases atomize:

"A most important application of the invention is atomic welding utilising the properties of atomic oxygen in combination with atomic hydrogen (for welding)...the energy which can be obtained in this way can be appreciated from the following reactions that take place...H.sub.2 .fwdarw. H + H absorbing 101,000 cal. per gram mole O.sub.2 .fwdarw. 0 + 0 absorbing 117,000 cal. per gram mole total 218,000 cal. per gram mole" -- U.S. patent 4,081,656 (the second link I posted above)