Science Forums

COMET BLOG could the scientist be wrong??

Now what could hit it, do you think? Which scientist could be wrong?

The first image you are linking to is from a comet that has broken apart into lots of pieces. It is not going to hit the Earth.

For one if the comet broke apart from another object hitting it those fragments could already be hitting the Earth and more could come as the comet passes us by May 11th.

For one if the comet broke apart from another object hitting it those fragments could already be hitting the Earth and more could come as the comet passes us by May 11th.

On what do you base the assumption that the comet was hit by something?

On what do you base the assumption that the comet was hit by something?

By the fact that the hubble space tlelescope has discovered that there are over two hundred times more comets flying into the sun than previously ever thought. This tells me there are more chances of such a collision actullay occuring not only with comets but with asteroids. Or perhaps, it could be a Deep Impact mission going all wrong!!

By the fact that the hubble space tlelescope has discovered that there are over two hundred times more comets flying into the sun than previously ever thought. This tells me there are more chances of such a collision actullay occuring not only with comets but with asteroids.

What are the odds?

By the way, if the comet had been hit by something, why are all the parts of the comet still moving in the same direction?

Or perhaps, it could be a Deep Impact mission going all wrong!!

Sure. Go somewhere else with conspiracy theories unless you have a minimum of evidence for it. The Deep Impact mission of 2005 was an astounding success and hardly made a dent in comet Tempel-1.

What are the odds?

By the way, if the comet had been hit by something, why are all the parts of the comet still moving in the same direction?

Sure. Go somewhere else with conspiracy theories unless you have a minimum of evidence for it. The Deep Impact mission of 2005 was an astounding success and hardly made a dent in comet Tempel-1.

http://imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hu/db/2006/18/images/g/formats/large_web.jpg

Sure looks like a shotgun pattern behind it to me. It could have been hit almost head on or almost head on.

http://imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hu/db/2006/18/images/g/formats/large_web.jpg

Sure looks like a shotgun pattern behind it to me. It could have been hit almost head on or almost head on.

1) By what? (and where is the projectile?)

2) A comet break-up is nothing new and has been observed many times - google "comet breaking up"

The comet that will pass Earth, as mentioned in post 1, will be almost 12 million kilometers away. In comparison, the Moon is 380,000 kilometers away. The chance that we will be hit is zero.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4953780.stm

1) By what? (and where is the projectile?)

2) A comet break-up is nothing new and has been observed many times - google "comet breaking up"

The comet that will pass Earth, as mentioned in post 1, will be almost 12 million kilometers away. In comparison, the Moon is 380,000 kilometers away. The chance that we will be hit is zero.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4953780.stm

I am pointing out that there are those who think the object could have been stuck by by other objects and this could cause fragments to hit Earth.

I am pointing out that there are those who think the object could have been stuck by by other objects and this could cause fragments to hit Earth.
There's a extremely small chance of that, and in order for it to be anything more than a completely inconsequential fragment, then it would have to be hit by an object that was as big or bigger than the comet and it would have to be aimed in exactly the right direction...and that direction just happens to be *aimed right at earth* which means we'd have far more to worry about with the object that hit it than the comet itself!!! :)

Eight ball in the side pocket,

Buffy

There's a extremely small chance of that, and in order for it to be anything more than a completely inconsequential fragment, then it would have to be hit by an object that was as big or bigger than the comet and it would have to be aimed in exactly the right direction...and that direction just happens to be *aimed right at earth* which means we'd have far more to worry about with the object that hit it than the comet itself!!! :)

Eight ball in the side pocket,

Buffy

Perhaps this time around but what about in 2022?

Where do you get that number from?

And who are "those" you refer to above?

This is moved to the Strange Claims forum.

You know on that very same day Boerseun and I were playing catch with a very large block of ice. Maybe when I threw it to him it hit California instead of South Africa. I have never had much of an arm, and my accuracy is not that great. If so, sorry! My bad! :)

Bill

You know on that very same day Boerseun and I were playing catch with a very large block of ice. Maybe when I threw it to him it hit California instead of South Africa. I have never had much of an arm, and my accuracy is not that great. If so, sorry! My bad! :shrug:

Bill

Well I guess all other possiblities are impossible.

You know on that very same day Boerseun and I were playing catch with a very large block of ice. Maybe when I threw it to him it hit California instead of South Africa.
Well I guess all other possiblities are impossible.
Not impossible, its just that Big's ice block toss is much more *likely* from a Newtonian trajectory analysis point of view than the distant comet collision! :)

When you wish upon a star, :shrug:

Buffy

Not impossible, its just that Big's ice block toss is much more *likely* from a Newtonian trajectory analysis point of view than the distant comet collision! ;)

When you wish upon a star, :shrug:

Buffy

We think we know so much but yet we know so little! What are the chances a fragment can divert one of the asteroids in this scale in our direction. Up to 60 fragments so far but yet they only report about 30.

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/