Science Forums

COMET BLOG could the scientist be wrong??

Relatively speaking, they'd be roughly the same. Think of a single drop of water in the entire Mediterranean sea...

What is the difference between 10 and 60 when contemplating numbers like 10,000? Answer: Not very relevant.

Cheers. :cup:

Place an ice cube right from the freezer into a pot of boiling water and see what happens???

Place an ice cube right from the freezer into a pot of boiling water and see what happens???
It shatters. It shatters less the larger the ice cube, unless you have a *lot* of heat (there's that ol' need for a really big collision again though...).

More importantly though, you seem to be unclear on the importance of orders of magnitude. If I'm going 30,000 mph and you speed up from 10mph to 60mph, you are still--for all intents an purposes--virtually motionless.

Innumeracy is a curable disease,

Buffy

It shatters. It shatters less the larger the ice cube, unless you have a *lot* of heat (there's that ol' need for a really big collision again though...).

More importantly though, you seem to be unclear on the importance of orders of magnitude. If I'm going 30,000 mph and you speed up from 10mph to 60mph, you are still--for all intents an purposes--virtually motionless.

Innumeracy is a curable disease,

Buffy

There is even more of temperature difference in space than this comparison. I am not even equating the near perfect vacuum of space which will tend to pull the cube apart even faster. Some of the fragments are now spread apart by 11 million miles.

If the comet is coming 5.5 million miles from Earth some of these fragments can hit us if the comet was hit by another object because it is already spread out by 11 million miles between some of the fragments.The shotgun example is not linear like the string of pearls example.The shotgun example will continue to spread out in all directions untill acted upon by another force.

There is even more of temperature difference in space than this comparison.
At certain specific points, namely right next to stars, based on long enough exposure, which usually results in slow warming. Pretty much 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of space is at absolute zero (-273F) though...
I am not even equating the near perfect vacuum of space which will tend to pull the cube apart even faster.
The "vaccuum" of space does not exert any "pull" at all! Space just has zero air pressure, and there's no imbalance to cause any "sucking sound."
Some of the fragments are now spread apart by 11 million miles. If the comet is coming 5.5 million miles from Earth some of these fragments can hit us if the comet was hit by another object because it is already spread out by 11 million miles between some of the fragments.
Not unless the distance is measured to the *closest* fragment, which it apparently is, and according to Wikipedia the figure is actually 7m miles. I can't find any verification for your 11 million mile dispersion figure anywhere. Most interesting in the Wiki article is this paragraph:

A retired French military air traffic controller Eric Julien, claiming governmental withholding of information [2], and by studying crop-circles, predicts an impact into the Atlantic Ocean on May 25, 2006 with accompanying massive tsunami. However, the orbit is well-understood by both professional and amateur astronomers. The orbital track places the pieces 28 lunar distances away from the Earth, on closest approach or about May 12.

Are you agreeing with Monssieur Julien that it is a massive world government coverup?

The shotgun example is not linear like the string of pearls example.The shotgun example will continue to spread out in all directions untill acted upon by another force.
So what? You're still completely avoiding the issue of the speed of dispersion versus speed of the center of mass of the swarm. You should be aware also, that if you're going to have multiple hits, a string of peals formation would be much more effective!

Fond of pearls,

Buffy

At certain specific points, namely right next to stars, based on long enough exposure, which usually results in slow warming. Pretty much 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of space is at absolute zero (-273F) though...

The "vaccuum" of space does not exert any "pull" at all! Space just has zero air pressure, and there's no imbalance to cause any "sucking sound."

Not unless the distance is measured to the *closest* fragment, which it apparently is, and according to Wikipedia the figure is actually 7m miles. I can't find any verification for your 11 million mile dispersion figure anywhere. Most interesting in the Wiki article is this paragraph:

A retired French military air traffic controller Eric Julien, claiming governmental withholding of information [2], and by studying crop-circles, predicts an impact into the Atlantic Ocean on May 25, 2006 with accompanying massive tsunami. However, the orbit is well-understood by both professional and amateur astronomers. The orbital track places the pieces 28 lunar distances away from the Earth, on closest approach or about May 12.

Are you agreeing with Monssieur Julien that it is a massive world government coverup?

So what? You're still completely avoiding the issue of the speed of dispersion versus speed of the center of mass of the swarm. You should be aware also, that if you're going to have multiple hits, a string of peals formation would be much more effective!

Fond of pearls,

Buffy

I disagree with him on many points. Cover up no.Crop circles no.Size of impactor and amount of damage it creates no. A car is about 20 feet long at most and a comet of this diameter would not cause the damage he says. However, he may be miscalculating the size. It is entirly possible a fragment of 50 meters or so may get through undetected. That would be devesting to any large city on the planet.

Even if the fragments are a 7 million miles apart the comet is still coming within 5.5 million miles from us which means we are still within the shotgun pattern if it was broken apart by an impactor.

Even if the fragments are a 7 million miles apart the comet is still coming within 5.5 million miles from us which means we are still within the shotgun pattern if it was broken apart by an impactor.
Not unless the distance is measured to the *closest* fragment, which it apparently is.

Repeating myself is easier, :evil:

Buffy

Repeating myself is easier, :)

Buffy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffy

Not unless the distance is measured to the *closest* fragment, which it apparently is.

Repeating myself is easier,

Buffy

And that 5.5 million mile distance is well within the 7 million mile distance of that fragment in which other undiscoved fragments may exist that could be heading right at us.

None of this makes any sense anyway. Unless that thing is coming straight at us is will just slide right by. Or maybe hit the bottom ov the earth which, if it does it hard enough will lodge into the bottom of the ocean. My real worry there is that it peirces the bottom of the earth and lets the ocean leak out into space.

Buffy, do you think a peice of ice that long could peirce the bottom of the earth and drain the ocean into bottom space? :hihi:

Or maybe I need to check up on some facts before I start in arguing a hypothesis that is implausable. :)

Bill

None of this makes any sense anyway. Unless that thing is coming straight at us is will just slide right by.
Yes, and because its ice it will be well lubricated as it heats up. As we learned from Tunguska, comets are likely to cause air bursts that form pretty butterfly shapes on the ground. We might lose a few buildings but it will be pretty!
Or maybe hit the bottom ov the earth which, if it does it hard enough will lodge into the bottom of the ocean. My real worry there is that it peirces the bottom of the earth and lets the ocean leak out into space.

Buffy, do you think a peice of ice that long could peirce the bottom of the earth and drain the ocean into bottom space? :hihi:

Space no, although China would have massive flooding because its on the other side.
Or maybe I need to check up on some facts before I start in arguing a hypothesis that is implausable. :)
I'm sure that professionals like Adam and Jaime would agree that both research and even some experimentation is a worthwhile endevor both when proposing as well as busting myths. At least if you would like to be taken seriously....

Busted,

Buffy

• 2 weeks later...

Adam & Jamie indeed! Chuckle-heads I say.:shrug: On the other hand, the egg-heads are really doing something about diverting a comet or asteroid once it is determined it is headed right for us. Here's some scoop for the loop:

http://space.com/news/060516_nasa_neo.html

"The U.S. Congress has declared that the general welfare and security of the United States require that the unique competence of NASA be directed to detecting, tracking, cataloguing, and characterizing near-Earth asteroids and comets in order to provide warning and mitigation of the potential hazard of such near-Earth objects to the Earth," the Act states.

Duck & cover!:) :hihi:

Adam & Jamie indeed! Chuckle-heads I say.:eek_big: On the other hand, the egg-heads are really doing something about diverting a comet or asteroid once it is determined it is headed right for us. Here's some scoop for the loop:

http://space.com/news/060516_nasa_neo.html

Duck & cover!:eek: :doh:

To late for the debris it is already hear.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200605/s1640173.htm

To late for the debris it is already hear.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200605/s1640173.htm

Jim Barclay, from the Maidenwell Observatory, says the light could not have been caused by a meteorite.

"Most meteors do not, and I repeat, do not appear of the green-blue fluorescent colours that these people described," he said.

"Metallic substances tend to burn up and give you that greeny-blue fluorescent colours where meteors are generally white in nature."

This is the kind of response that gives science a black eye. Jim Barclay's misleading terms & bias makes me mad as hell. "Most meteors" or "tend to burn" weasel words from some appionted "authority" to try and justify "I repeat" to try and justify their opinion.

Burnt biscuit award to this guy.

Keep looking up!:eek_big:

Of course I have a bias as I saw -and reported here at Hypography- a fragmenting green fireball.

http://hypography.com/forums/watercooler/1957-fireball-meteor-over-west-coast.html?highlight=fireball

Fireball/meteor over West Coast - 03-12-2005, 10:16 PM

___I was taping the Moon/Mercury conjunction out my West window near Portland Or, when out the window (but not in the camera view as it was zoomed in) I saw a spuuttering green & yellow fireball come from left to right in my view & going away from me & dropping at a shallow angle. It persisted 3 to 5 seconds before disappearing over the horizon. It was breaking up & spewing debris the whole time; Wow!