Science Forums

Na or NaO

P-man

no, the only way to get Na is through electrolosis of a molton Na salt, such as table salt - NaCl, there was a thread about electrolosis of this kind not to long ago, but consider yourself warned, its not easy or all that safe if you dont know what your doing.

I saw a killer documentary on Salt Mining and Salt cultivation yesterday at my brothers house on the Learning Channel.

78 Metric tons of Salt per 1 square kilometer of Ocean Water! ;)

There is an Ancient Salt mine in Poland that is definately worth looking into! :)

Thanks for the info. I ended up doing some theoretical experiments during my research. With NaCO3 I tried to find some answers:

NaCO3 + H2SO4 --> NaHSO4 + HCO3- (What happens to the HCO3 anion?)

NaCO3 + HCl --> NaOH + Cl + CO2 (I am not at all sure about this one. I had to re-do it a couple of times and I still don't know.)

NaCO3 + H2O2 --> NaCO + H2O (This one I am pleased with, but I'm probably not right.)

Then with CuSO4 I wanted to see if I could isolate the Cu:

CuSO4 + H2SO4--> CuO2 + S2O4 + H2O2 (A lot of guessing work. Not at all sure on this one.)

CuSO4 + 2HCl --> CuCl2 + H2SO4 (This one took a lot of re-doing as well and I have no clue about it.)

CuSO4 + H2O2 --> Cu + H2SO6 (This one I think I might have found my goal, but once again it's scrappy.)

where do you keep getting from these equations from? because not all of them are correct, if you are just randomly throwing things together thats not exactly how chemistry works..

I recommened you get yourself a valence table, which contains common ions, and a chemistry text book which can tell you about basic reactions, what happens and how to write equations of them - then go from there :phones:

Well, actually, I have two textbooks straight out of the UofT Bookstore. I used them both in my research, so I am not randomly throwing things together. Thank you very much.

Oh, and will you please remember that I am 13 and in Grade Eight. I do not have the knowledge yet, and my stuff is still scrappy. That is why I come here for help.

Right on P-Man! :evil:

P-man was one of the ones interested in my Boron thread awhile back.

I had no idea you were so young. :cup:

You are a pretty darned smart kid.

Just don't kill us all, or blow us up, OK? :eek:

What is it you want to accomplish?

What is it you are trying to do?

Originally I was trying to isolate Na, but that proved to be too dangerous, so I started to figure out the experiments that I would have used. Then I thought it would be fun to try to get Cu form CuSO4, so that is why there are all those reactions. After more research, there have been changes to make...

Na2CO3 + H2SO4 --> (Carbonic Acid) decomposes to H2O + CO2

- what is the balanced equation for that?

Na2CO3 + HCl --> Same thing. Strong acid protonates carbonate.

Na2CO3 + H2O2 --> No Reaction.

For the Cu stuff, no changes yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Ummmm... no corrections really. I just thought I'd point out that you can get elemental copper by reacting copper sulfate with some sort of metal higher than copper on the activity series (which is pretty much all of them!). Examples: zinc, iron, aluminium, etc. That is definitely the easiest way to procure elemental copper from CuSO4