Science Forums

Global Dimming

Turtle

Global dimming is another false misinformation like Global Warming. These two cases are compared to same thing. The world is getting brighter and brighter because we build cities, industry flares and automobile lights including others.

HomoSapiens, you would do yourself a great favor if you followed links provided or at least knew a little bit about what a topic is about before denouncing it.

I realize the thread has gone WAY off topic, but you should review the original post and link. I am including it here for your convenience, it is an interesting phenomenon. NOVA | Dimming the Sun | PBS

Global dimming is a description of a phenomenon. It is not a framework for a theory. It makes no claims of long term affects and is a very recent issue.

It has NOTHING to do with CO2 levels, nor with city lights. In short, it is the blocking of sunlight by particulate pollution (CO2 blocks no light). As this particulate pollution is reduced, as it has been in the last 25 years or so, more of the formerly blocked light is allowed through the atmosphere.

As for GW, there are plenty of threads for you to expound upon why so many of the worlds scientific organizations are incorrect;)

HomoSapiens

Global dimming is another false misinformation like Global Warming. These two cases are compared to same thing. The world is getting brighter and brighter because we build cities' date=' industry flares and automobile lights including others.

[/Quote']

I think you need more research,

Goodbye sunshine | Life | Guardian Unlimited

Goodbye sunshine

Each year less light reaches the surface of the Earth. No one is sure what's causing 'global dimming' - or what it means for the future. In fact most scientists have never heard of it. By David Adam

Thursday December 18' date=' 2003

The Guardian [/Quote']

this is a breakdown

Earth's Energy Balance - html version

HomoSapiens

I don't see any proof of dimming. I do not believe in two cases including global warming. Credibility why we are talking about global dimming? Look at the atmopshere' date=' its too thin to cover the entire planet. Co2 isn't thick. We are close to the sun, we aren't dim as like Pluto and Neptune does. Thats where is like a street lamp. Here on earth isn't a street lamp, of course it will be at night excluding the major city lights. Daytime is alot brighter, i say 500,000 times brighter than the street lamp.[/Quote']

and all this polusion doesent dim the sunlight (you've never been in LA have you)

The Indian Ocean Experiment

"We have conducted ship operations in various parts of the Indian Ocean' date=' Arabian Sea, and Bay of Bengal in the past, but we never experienced such high concentrations of pollutants," said Joseph Prospero, a professor of marine and atmospheric chemistry at the University of Miami who participated in INDOEX. "What was also unusual was the fact that the pollution was so persistent."

[b']It appeared as if the whole Indian subcontinent was surrounded by a mountain of pollution," agreed Ramanathan. "At times, we couldn't even see the low clouds because the haze layer was so thick." [/b][/Quote]

HomoSapiens

Incredibley i am going to laugh at politican jokes and great make up stories on these based cases. [/Quote]

I think the joke is on us if we don't "WAKE UP"

Zythryn

I realize the thread has gone WAY off topic.[/Quote]

Sorry. I'll try to stay the course. ;)

• 1 year later...

Alrighty thens! Back on topic, PBS just put out a NOVA episode on global dimming and where it stands today. :shrug::phones::ebomb:

Is global dimming masking the full impact of global warming? Some climate experts worry that it is, with the possible consequence that as we reduce pollution, the climate will heat up to unprecedented levels.

Scientists have long known that increasing air pollution—the smog that clouds urban skies—endangers our respiratory health. But they had underestimated the impact of pollution on the amount of sunlight reaching Earth. Some scientists now believe that global dimming may also disturb rainfall patterns such as the Asian monsoon. If they are right, global dimming may be one of many factors that contributed to severe droughts and famines in Africa during the 1980s.

The good news is that pollution controls have slowed and possibly even halted global dimming during the last decade. The bad news—and the ironic twist in NOVA's story—is that without pollution, more sunlight is reaching Earth, revealing the full impact of global warming. Although all climate models have important uncertainties, the unsettling implication is that, with dimming fading away in many regions, global temperatures may rise even faster than most models have predicted.

NOVA | Dimming the Sun | TV Program Description | PBS