Science Forums

Paganism

Pyrotex

This is going to come as a shock to some of you, but I, the egregiously rational and atheistic Pyrotex, have a lot of friends who are "Pagans". As in members of the religion, Paganism. And I have just come back from a weekend camping festival (clothing optional) way out in the mesquite forests of central Texas, where 500 screaming, drumming Pagans camped out, conducted rituals, got hand-fasted, sold arts and crafts, drummed, made music, and danced around huge campfires until the wee hours of the morning.

It was a total blast. But that's not what this thread is about. Unless you insist. {ahem!} So! What do you folks think of Paganism? Do you think it should be accepted as a bonafide "religion" like Christianity or Islam? Would you like to know more about it? Personally I am not a Pagan, per se, but I am Pagan friendly. I enjoy the idea that Christianity in this country has some serious competition!!

If you consider that Christmas, Easter and a host of other religious holidays have their roots in pagan festivities, it could very well be said that paganism is the grandpappy of Christianity.

I have nothing against it, and it might be fun to experience a few nekkid festivals, but as far as the inherent merit of paganism, I see it on an equal footing as all other religions.

If you consider that Christmas, Easter and a host of other religious holidays have their roots in pagan festivities, ...I see it on an equal footing as all other religions.

So do I. The biggest "problem" in the Pagan community right now is trying to establish ("reconstruct") Pagan rituals and mythology. The common denominator seems to be moving toward an Earth-based approach, depending heavily on solstices, equinoxes for the festival calendar, and various Earth-based deities for the rituals. From Ostara, goddess of pregnancy and birth, we get Easter. From Samhain (pronounced "sow'-wen"), we get harvest festivals and Halloween. There is currently only a small interest in Mediterranean Paganism (Bachus, Isis).

Interesting fact. The structure of the Pagan community is based upon the SF book, "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein--specifically, the religion founded by worshipers of Michael Valentine Smith (near the end of the book). It is said that Heinlein was approached and asked if they (the Pagans) could even use the same name as the religion in the book (Church of All Worlds) and he cheerfully gave his permission.

BTW, nekkid festivals are a lot of fun, but maybe not as much fun as you are imagining. ;) :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Awesome. L. Ron Hubbard gives us Scientology and Robert Heinlein gives us neo-paganism.

Question Pyro - do they eat each other? Cause that was always kinda weird in Stranger Also - is there a whole lot of "growing closer" because I think I much prefer that to the expensive electro-shock therapy you get with Scientology.

Tough call.

Neo-pagans are one of those groups that I really like though, because I think that it gives people with a religious impulse a constructive vehicle. Of course, there is plenty of concurrent weirdness that goes along with Neo-pagans too, but I find that paganism is one of the more well constructed hippie religions.

So, yeah, I like pagans.

Even if they have not yet come to The Noodly One.

TFS

All religions have an element of truth in them. LIke the parable of the blind men and the elephant. Some have noodles, some have the flaky cheese, and some of the squishy meatballs. But they are all feeling the same Holy Spaghetti.

...Question Pyro - do they eat each other?...
Given some of the moaning I have heard at 2 AM, I think it entirely likely. Of course, this may not have been the meaning of "eat" you were going for. ;)
Even if they have not yet come to The Noodly One....

Give them time, TFS, give them time. All who persevere on the infinite road to Maybeness eventually come to TNO. Amen.:hihi:

I do kinda' like Wicca and that Magic stuff!

Not Black Voodoo Magic though..;)

The good lovey-dovey, Mother Nature, Cosmological, Pagan kinda' stuff :hihi:

Does Wicca count Pyrotex?

Are there people like that in your circle of Pagans and other Hell-destined non-believers??

P.A.G.A.N., like in Dragnet the Movie

People

Against

Good

And

Normalcy

:hihi:

I do kinda' like Wicca and that Magic stuff!! ...Does Wicca count Pyrotex? Are there people like that in your circle of Pagans and other Hell-Destined Non-Believers??..:

Oh, yes, yes, yes there are! Hell bound and proud of it! In Hell, they let you ****, you know, ALL YOU WANT. In Heaven, you have nothing to **** with. Major bummer, dude!

A small segment of the Pagans are into Wicca, and they use their spells to "heal", change luck, give energy, and other loving intentions.

ohhh my, that sounds incredible.. just what my instincts haunt me for...

Yeah, Orby, I figured that if anyone would appreciate it, you would. :)

And also Turtle, InfiniteOne and Loricybin.

There are specific Pagan Camp rules agains drug use, so if that is going on, it's being kept way back in the shadow. But Pagans have another vice and that is homemade fruit wines, and MEADE! Ahhh, fermented honey! That stuff can knock you on your can. There were at least three vendors there, offering wines and meade. Blackberry wine (or even blackberry meade) is my favorite! Yum! Hic!

A lot of pagans dressed in sandals and wrap-skirts (male & female) look a lot like the "hippies" of my college days, so it makes me feel right at home in a way. Then there are a lot of older "naturalists", who wear even less.

Many of the Pagans, sad to say, carry a LOT of weight, and naked bodies in the 250 to 300 pound class, male or female, do not inspire a lot of... hmmm... "emotional inspiration". I only weigh 130, but I keep on jeans and tee shirt because I KNOW I wouldn't inspire any either! ;) And then there are those lucky few who have the torsos, the accoutrements, the limbs and the relative meat distribution to inflame GREAT emotional inspiration!

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!! Beat the drum and pass the meade!!! :)