Science Forums

Religion - Pointless to Discuss?

Racoon

Is Religion Pointless to Discuss On-Line  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is Religion Pointless to Discuss On-Line

• Yes - nothing ever changes
    • Yes - people will believe what they believe regardless of how much communication occurs through text
    • No - people often change religious views
    • No - its what interests many people, regardless of the lack of science
    • Dunno'? other...

Do you think you are the boss here?

If you say so!...THANKS.....now if I could just get Buffy to understand this fact...heh

; { >

BTW, we could just all agree and pat each other on the back, our heads nodding up and down like one of those dumb toys in the back of cars ...yes yes yes yes we all agree yes yes yes.....

no no no!

I can't do that...and it would be a boring world if everyone agreed and was Lilly white and thin skinned.....the world is hard and one must learn to put on the armor of God and of experience to succeed and allow others to thrive in it. The meek may inherit the earth, but for now one must have a bit of backbone to be a productive member of society and or forums.

You are free to manage your own church however you choose, but not this site.

If I violate a TOS let me know otherwise I will continue to post my mind, with due respect to all. And you are earning my disrespect each time you attack me.
With due respect to all?

You're putting the cart before the horse about us earning your disrepect, because we attack you. :hyper: Buffy politely pointed out that you are a bit out of the scope of this forum and you attacked her. Not the way to treat a True Lady.

If you haven't taken the care to read our rules, here are the points that I easily found, most relevant to your case:

How should I behave?

2 If you want to refute someone's claims, please stay calm and point out where you think they went wrong, and what kind of proof you base your own opinion on.

5 If you ask for opinions, respect the replies you get.

8 Rude and offensive behaviour is not tolerated and might lead to instant banning (at the discretion of the forum staff)

Typical reasons for banning

If you find yourself being banned, you most likely broke our rules above, or:

2 Annoyed our members so much that the moderators decided to ban you

I don't understand the reasoning for the 3rd option. Ok, people often change their views, so we should discuss it... This strikes me as wrong for two reasons:

First, you want to convert from a scientist with no religion to a "believer", that's great on a religious forums site, but why would there be a forum on a science site that is devoted to converting people to religion???

Second, you want to convert someone who is a Christian or a Muslim or whatever to believe only in the laws of science and stop believing in their religion. That's just plain wrong, why would anyone want to make someone stop believing in their religion?

For those two reasons, I just don't see the point...

Well, the determining factor in a change of belief would be a different or deeper understanding of truth. A science site is a perfect place to discuss the history and evolution of human thought, even if it is only relegated to a subsection of sociology.

If belief change happens, it happens regardless of which forum the different or deeper truth was discovered. And the theology thread is not the only place where obstinate people push unfounded concepts with pious indignation. Getting upset with people because they believe a certain way is wrong on both sides of the fence. The true enemy is prejudice, not the topic of discussion.

You are free to manage your own church however you choose, but not this site.

Where have I violated a TOS or tried to manage this site? I am only expressing an opinion. If banned for expressing an opinion then, I am in good company, as Nazis operated in this manner.

With due respect to all?

Yes, with DUE respect to all, even the religion haters!

You're putting the cart before the horse about us earning your disrespect, because we attack you.rolleyes: Buffy politely pointed out that you are a bit out of the scope of this forum and you attacked her. Not the way to treat a True Lady.

How exactly am I a "bit out of scope" The real issue here is personal , nothing else and it smells of racism bigotry reeks of prejudice views. You must earn my respect I will earn the respect of others in due time...unless sent to the showers (gas chambers for being an undesirable).

as for the rules they are subjective and I attempt to obey them. Is this a social club or a debate forum. Are we men and women or mice and meese..heh...

Where is the free speech? Rude? give me a break..rude dude..see your own rolls eyes bit!

I am the member of 13 forum type sites. Ive never been banned or censored. I support the sponcers of this site, I would gladly LEAVE this site if censorship miss manners peersonally or being accepted to the group rates above truth and free speech.

In fact I this will be my last post for the forseeable future. Now you can all nod in agreement and roll eyes together... have a nice day and god bless you.

because we attack you.rolleyes:

rolls eyes indeed ...

: } >

I picked I dunno.

I try to avoid religious discussion because it does tend to be pointless for me, when conversing with an opposing viewpoint. But I have learned a few things and followed interesting links via others discussions.

What I do find puzzling is how in real life, the people who I do discuss these topics with tend to be alot more tolerant and truely curious about my point of view, without being insulting, demeaning, or any of the drawbacks I see online. The religious people in real life who I do discuss with, seem to be more willing to say I have a point or that they never thought of it that way.

What occurs for me online is if an interesting and reasonable discussion occurs, it is interupted by the flamers or other trouble makers who disrupt the conversation so much that I stop following the thread. Its gotten to the point that just reading the thread title is enough to make me not click and read. It seems to always degrade from discussion to flame war.

How exactly am I a "bit out of scope" The real issue here is personal , nothing else and it smells of racism bigotry reeks of prejudice views. You must earn my respect I will earn the respect of others in due time...unless sent to the showers (gas chambers for being an undesirable).

Um... is that referring to Jewish persecution?

Where have I violated a TOS or tried to manage this site? I am only expressing an opinion. If banned for expressing an opinion then, I am in good company, as Nazis operated in this manner.

I am the member of 13 forum type sites. Ive never been banned or censored. I support the sponcers of this site, I would gladly LEAVE this site if censorship miss manners peersonally or being accepted to the group rates above truth and free speech.

In fact I this will be my last post for the forseeable future. Now you can all nod in agreement and roll eyes together... have a nice day and god bless you.

This site is not the Nazi regime and deserves no such comparison. The hurting your feelings because you cannot find within your own vocabulary the ability to express yourself within clearly defined rules does not merit flaming at those who are critical of your methods and your content.

Where were we?

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
I don't understand the reasoning for the 3rd option. Ok, people often change their views, so we should discuss it... This strikes me as wrong for two reasons:

First, you want to convert from a scientist with no religion to a "believer", that's great on a religious forums site, but why would there be a forum on a science site that is devoted to converting people to religion???

Second, you want to convert someone who is a Christian or a Muslim or whatever to believe only in the laws of science and stop believing in their religion. That's just plain wrong, why would anyone want to make someone stop believing in their religion?

For those two reasons, I just don't see the point...

I think it is important to note that trying to "convert" somebody away from their religion or to another religion illustrates that persons own limited consciousness. All religions have truth and the longer a particular religion has survived the more Truth it has in it. But like all things humanity gets its hands on, eventually the teaching changes due to fear, controlling, power, greed, etc. A truley wise person will see all religions as serving their purpose and merely offer statements to stoke the embers of conscious awareness.

Science has proven that all of the matter that makes up this world we live in would fit into a golf ball if the space between the electrons and the proton/neutron were removed and everything packed in tightly. This means that the world we see and feel is actually an illusion. Quantum physics is also telling us the very same thing.

Ancient wisdom out of the East has said for thousands of years that the physical world is an illusion. They even have a specific word for this: Maya. Did you hear that? They have a specific word for this phenomenon. I thought that was incredible so years ago I began to study their teaching. Through my own efforts I discovered that the teachings of old are very accurate indeed.

So why is it so difficult for a lot of people to see the possibility that the ultimate goal of science and the ultimate goal of all religions is one and the same goal? Every one of us has a consciousness that has been formed by our unique experiences. Take for example the argument of Creationism versus Evolution. What about the possibility of both theories being correct? Maybe the Divine Creator created our soul and spirit (Creationism) and the physical body in which our soul and spirit uses evolves (Evolution)? A lot of people won't even accept this as a possibility because they are stuck in their own beliefs. Beliefs are very powerful filters that automatically accept or reject and idea or concept. If you change your beliefs your consciousness expands.

The lessons of life can only be learned from your personal level of spiritual development. You cannot learn quantum physics if you have not mastered your multiplication tables. Same goes for spiritual lessons. (Religion is basically man made and tries so hard to teach and explain Spiritual Law. But the basic underlying truth is still there in all religions if you know how to look.) So you see, trying to convince somebody about the validity and truth of geometry to a person who is still working on addition and subtraction would only illuminate the would-be-teacher's ignorance. The true adept would be able to perceive that person's level of development and offer guidance appropriately regardless of religion. But for most people Fate and Karma will be their teacher. Most people are looking to change other people instead of swallowing hard and looking at themselves. Their enviroment and thier actions will be their teacher until a level of spiritual achievment has been reached. And only then will a Master appear.

Love and Light to you all

• 2 weeks later...