Science Forums

The ethics of nationalism

CraigD

Like most of us acquainted with Psychology, I’m aware that many controlled experiments have shown that ordinary people can, in a variety of surprisingly ordinary situations, behave with great lack of compassion. Despite this, I was shocked and angered by the

account of a 2005 boating accident involving 2 citizens of Florida, US, Rogers Washington and Robert Moore.

Washington and Moore’s boat sunk in clear weather 8 miles offshore of Boca Raton. Signaling with a whistle and air horn salvaged from the sinking boat, they were almost immediately spotted by 2 men on a nearby boat, who, according to Washington, waved, then left them. Shortly after, Moore, 62, with a history of heart attack, had a heart attack or stroke, and died. Another boat spotted Washington about 1 hour later, and again provided no aid nor informed any rescuers. About 5 hours later, a third boat spotted and rescued him.

Washington and Moore are black. The consensus is that the first 2 boats ignored them because they believed they were Haitians attempting to enter the US. The bodies of 2 Haitians had been found washed ashore nearby a few seeks before.

It’s believed that the people on the first 2 boats were motivated not by fear, apathy, or racism, but by nationalism – that is, they left the 2 men to die because they believed they were Haitian.

I’m deeply appalled. My belief that the widespread idea by which people classify themselves neighbor or stranger, fellow citizen or foreigner, is fundamental wrong, is reinforced. I fear that, at least among Americans, this idea has gaining strength since the turn of the millennium.

That really is a very disappointing lack of humanity. I agree with the link...it is most likely an act of racism. Consider if Washington and Moore were of the same race as the people on the first two boats, the situation would probably be different. I guess 'national security' could come into this as well. This makes me think of the future of refugees, if the above becomes commonplace then on a much larger scale a country can refuse to accept/rescue them on the basis of protecting national security.

I agree with the link...it is most likely an act of racism.
While race certainly plays a big part in it – One get the impression from Washington’s mentioning that the people who refused to help him (and those who did) were white, that he believes black people would have been more humane. It’s clear from the fact that he shouted “I’m American” so that boaters would not mistake him for a Haitian that nationality played an important role.

It happens that nearly all, if not all, Haitian refugees are black. Other incidents like this have shown that being of the similar racial appearance is not a barrier to inhuman behavior – white mistreat whites, and blacks mistreat blacks, more, in absolute numbers, than whites mistreat blacks or blacks mistreat whites.

I guess 'national security' could come into this as well. This makes me think of the future of refugees, if the above becomes commonplace then on a much larger scale a country can refuse to accept/rescue them on the basis of protecting national security.
I have much the same worry. Though I comfort myself that it is mostly “just talk”, that people would not actually act upon, I’ve been horrified at the number of seemingly ordinary people who have suggested that that “the war on terror” can be won by implacable force at best, and genocide at worst – the “kill all Arabs/Moslems” school of national security.

I find the fact that ANY human being would leave another to die, regardless of the cause to be deeply disturbing. Reality being what it is though, I can not say that I am truly shocked.

I think your right in that it was a National as opposed to racial act.

I believe we create tribal/societal/racial/national "Us Vs Them" delineations mostly because of our evolutional heritage. It was a trait that encouraged an empathic response to "Us", allowed for the possibility of the tribe's survival to be placed above our own, and helped to ensure that our (or our close relatives) genetic material was passed on. Conversely, anything considered to be "Not Us" had a far smaller chance of triggering an empathic response. We are just generally wired that way.

These evolved tendencies, while not on the same level as sex and survival, are none the less quite powerful. I doubt we could easily find a way to "Reprogram " ourselves to not have these tendencies (although they can be drastically lessoned with education and social pressures). Our best bet would be to try to foster a global "Us" and no them.

Sadly, my previous paragraph offers no realistic solutions. I am not certain one exists, short of us discovering inteligent life outside our planet. Then at least we would have a larger "Us Vs Them" to contend with.

The report is saddening, but hardly surprising. I make little distinction between racism, nationalism and class hatred. They all stem from the instinctive wariness of and disinterest in anyone who is different.

When we lived in small tribes such caution and ever ready hostility was a major survival benefit. Today it arguably lies at the heart of many of the world's problems. Two thousand years ago Christ saw clearly the dangers of this instinctive mindset and offered up the tale of the Good Samaritan as an alternative.

We still have a way to go.

While race certainly plays a big part in it – One get the impression from Washington’s mentioning that the people who refused to help him (and those who did) were white, that he believes black people would have been more humane. It’s clear from the fact that he shouted “I’m American” so that boaters would not mistake him for a Haitian that nationality played an important role.

No where in the link did I see that the words "I'm an American" were shouted. Did you have another source for that?

No where in the link did I see that the words "I'm an American" were shouted. Did you have another source for that?
Yes. CNN transtcript 11/22/05 – search to “RICHARD HOLDEN, RESCUER”.

My apologies for mistake – I read several links to corroborate the story, and misremembered the contents of the one I thought presented the story best.

Nationalism may be part of it but media conditioning also has an impact. There are tons of boaters in Florida and one of the conditoned fears are pirates using the disabled boat trick. Your sort of screwed if a pirate or a group of priates gets on your boat. Most people are trained to be cautious but everyone should also be trained to call the Coast Guard for assistance.

I've said it before, but many of the evolved mechanisms which assisted in our survival through the millenia are killing us now with our current modernized society. Being appalled, while natural, won't fix it. Fear, hate, ignorance, genetic predisposition... it certainly is time for a change. Thing is, we can only change ourselves and hope it catches on with others...

Seed crystals...