Science Forums

-help?-bit on the wrist by an extremely pissed off cat

uhhhhhhh

this might be serious

i just had a massive cat fight blow up in my face

one of the cats jumped up and locked onto my arm, and bit down as hard as he could, on my wrist

i think he was biting to the bone, and it hurts a LOT

there are six holes in my wrist, each one is filled with blood now, but when they first happened, they looked maybe a quarter of an inch deep?

i saw a lot of white at the base of two of the holes, and they are getting extremely puffy.

any ideas what this could mean?

my wrist feels like someone just punched the bone REALLY hard, and it kind of feels like it is spreading up my arm towards my body. it's my right arm.

they don't seem to be bleeding much externally, does this bring the possibility of INTERNAL bleeding?

timely help much appreciated

Loren

Cat scratch fever... lots of infection.

INFECTION will be the greatest danger. And it could be bad, up to and including life threatening. With punctures down to the bone, from a cat who probably did not gargle with Listerine, I would strongly recommend going to an Emergency Room at the first opportunity and have the wound examined.

Before the advent of modern medicine in, say, the early 1800's, infections were the number one leading cause of death.

Before the advent of modern medicine in, say, the early 1800's,
infections
were the number one leading cause of death.

...and also one of the leading causes of divorce! :confused:

Oh!!! He's got a million of 'em, and they're all bad! "I'll be in town all week, folks. Don't forget to tip your server. Also, try the veal..."

Alchohol is better than peroxide. In my experience peroide promotes scarring.

I wouldn't say emergency room myself; leave that open to people with gunshot wounds, severe lacerations, and other true "emergencies" where time is measured in hours not days or weeks.

At the same time I would say you should make an appointment with your personal doctor ASAP. Your personal doctor will be more helpful to you in specific and probably do a better job with treatment. They'll probably rope you in for a check-up later on, but it's really what the situation calls for.

I've been mauled by cats before, and it is my personal beleif that you don't need to go to the doctor for most small things like that if you have a properly trained immune system.

I wouldn't say emergency room myself; leave that open to people with gunshot wounds, severe lacerations, and other true "emergencies" where time is measured in hours not days or weeks. . .

it is my personal beleif that you don't need to go to the doctor for most small things like that if you have a properly trained immune system.

i have to agree with you, usually when i get bit i just shake it off.

its the extrodinary pain of this one that worried me at first

i wasn't thinking emergency, but more like an appointment today or tomorrow.

and MAAAN, this was the most pain i've ever had from an animal bite.

he was REALLY PISSED OFF

i was trying to seperate them after a territory fight, because they had really been laying into eachother, and it hurt to listen to (i could hear their skin ripping, and fur was flying in different directions) and so afterwards, i slowly approached the calmer one. i pet his head, and he seemed okay, so i picked him up gently, and he backed away.

so I started stepping back, and it was less than one half of a second and he just APPEARED on my arm, and i felt a hot pain shoot through my hand and wrist.

i lifted my arm up towards my body, and he didn't budge, hanging from my arm. i squeezed his jaws open with my other hand, and smacked him in the head with my palm, and sort of threw him off, and at that moment, i looked down at the bite, and there were six holes.

one of them was extremely minor, no worries.

two of them were very deep and looked white and smooth inside,

and three of them were just deep, light colored punctures.

it took a long time to see blood, which really suprised me.

also, my arm had a slight gash, but i'm used to that just from playing rough with the bastards.

cats are so weird.

uhhhhhhh

this might be serious

i just had a massive cat fight blow up in my face

one of the cats jumped up and locked onto my arm, and bit down as hard as he could, on my wrist

i think he was biting to the bone, and it hurts a LOT

there are six holes in my wrist, each one is filled with blood now, but when they first happened, they looked maybe a quarter of an inch deep?

i saw a lot of white at the base of two of the holes, and they are getting extremely puffy.

any ideas what this could mean?

Loren, I hope you already have, but if not, see a nurse or physician as soon as possible. Nearly all cat saliva contains large amounts of bacteria to which few animals’ – humans not being among the few – immune systems are equipped to handle effectively. A cat bite contains more and worse bacteria than a scratch, so don’t be lured into a sense of false security by the previously posted link to the wikipedia article “Cat scratch fever”.

If you are young and healthy, especially if you bled strongly and a lot from the punctures (which you say you didn’t) your immune system may ultimately be able to eliminate the bacteria, but even so, you may have serious scarring, tissue, and nerve damage. I don’t mean to unduely alarm you, but untreated, a bite like you describe has the potential to damage you arm and hand enough to require amputation, or even kill you. Please take it very seriously, and see a nurse of physician.

(In the US, veterinaries are legally prohibited from treating human beings, even for animal wounds)

Yeah, cat bites are nasty. Get your *** to the doctor, dude. If it was down to the bone... It's definately something you gotta look into.

besides, If you lose a hand, I'm gonna be so pissed. You need that hand to play bass with, man.

which reminds me, you gotta take a trip out to patterson soon for some shaman ritual and some creative expression.