Science Forums

Fractal Explorations

TheBigDog

What made you want to create a fractal explorer? Fractalator is great and perfectly functional, but in terms of speed it does not compete with ChaosPro or Fractint. The one feature I like about your program over ChaosPro is that rather than zoom window being defined as the rectangle between two coordinates, you use the center coordinate and a numerical zoom factor. I think this is much more intuitive.

What made you want to create a fractal explorer? Fractalator is great and perfectly functional, but in terms of speed it does not compete with ChaosPro or Fractint. The one feature I like about your program over ChaosPro is that rather than zoom window being defined as the rectangle between two coordinates, you use the center coordinate and a numerical zoom factor. I think this is much more intuitive.

Thanks Vicarious. I created it because I was curious about how they were computed. And because I had some ideas for the navigation controls. And to learn some new programming techniques. Many reason's I guess. I would love to increase the speed, but I don't know how to make it any faster. That is partly why I used the little preview window instead of the big picture for all the exploring.

I am thinking about getting rid of the navigation buttons and just click on the preview to change the center point and redraw. Then I will make double click be the trigger for drawing the big picture. I am keeping the zoom in and out, but I am thinking of making the mouse wheel zoom too. New things to learn to do! Please send me any suggestions, or ideas. ;)

Bill

Very impressive indeed, TBG.

As an aside, for some strange reason, whenever I read the subject line of this thread it makes me think of a colonoscopy. I wonder why that is...

Oh... Yeah... that would be "rectal" exploration... My bad. Mystery solved. ;)

And now for something completely different. :hihi:

I anticipate a problem with clicking to pan the preview, and double clicking to render it larger. If I was using it, I would want to click many times, and fast, to pan around. This would trigger a double click.

However, if you implement clicking to pan, you will be able to remove your original navigation buttons. This will leave room for a button to render the image full-size.

I anticipate a problem with clicking to pan the preview, and double clicking to render it larger. If I was using it, I would want to click many times, and fast, to pan around. This would trigger a double click.

However, if you implement clicking to pan, you will be able to remove your original navigation buttons. This will leave room for a button to render the image full-size.

You are right. I will probably make a "Draw Big" button.

Bill

big dog and others who like fractals. I highly recommend you download the videos from this website. In particular, "Universe #3" on the main page is outstanding. The videos zoom way too fast because the guy is a star wars fan and it made him think of warp speed (groan). But if you click pause every now and then you can look around at everything.

main page http://www.fractal-animation.net/ufvp.html

additional http://www.fractal-animation.net/index.html

There's also a stereogram video. very cool. If you can't do stereograms, stop telling yourself you can't because it's very easy. Simply focus on a plane somewhere behind the screen. You do this all the time when you look in a mirror.

Big Dog, I would like you to think about joining the Fractint team if you're interested. They just let anybody work on it, I think.

http://www.fractint.org/

big dog and others who like fractals. I highly recommend you download the videos from this website. In particular, "Universe #3" on the main page is outstanding...

I visited the website.

I downloaded the videos.

I executed them and watched.

I was blown totally out of the freakin water and rendered permanently brain damaged.

I highly recommend y'all do the same. :hyper:

I just thought of something.

TheBigDog's fractal generator is extrememly clever, and I really enjoy using it. He says it works up to magnifications of about,... what... 10^12? A trillion? That would be because his "math package" that came with his dot-net compiler only had about 12 or 13 digit accuracy. My fractal generator had the same limit, except that I found an alternate math package in Java that supported {I think} 40 digit accuracy; taking me to 10^40 magnification. All numbers were treated as strings rather than integers. A little slower, but well worth the cost.

The videos at the afore-mention site go to magnifications of 10^85, meaning that his generator must support at least 85 digit accuracy. Whoa, Momma!

Just how big is 10^85? If you took a single electron and expanded it to the size of the visible universe {vizU}, then took an electron out of THAT universe and expanded it to the size of the vizU, then took an electron out of THAT universe and expanded it to the size of the Earth... that would be in the ballpark.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more samples...

First, looking down a deep spiral with default colors...

Next, a square. I thought it was cool.

And this one looks like a flame job on a hotrod...

And finally, this pretty one made with the "opposites" color scheme.

And infinity of space to explore, and customize the colors used to see it. Try it yourself, and see what you can find!

Bill

• 1 month later...

Now that page is very interesting! I would however like to find alternative sources before assuming it to be dependable. One thing that struck me odd is the translation of "O Fortuna" including the words:

We are cast down

like straws upon a ploughed field

Our fates measuring

the eternal circle

These don't match up with the text as I know it, and which is widely available. Here is the actual Latin, and it isn't verse two either:

O Fortuna

velut luna

statu variabilis,

semper crescis

aut decrescis;

vita detestabilis

nunc obdurat

et tunc curat

ludo mentis aciem

egestatem,

potestatem

dissolvit ut glaciem.

… check out this - the M_SET has been known longer than we think:

raygirvan.co.uk/apoth/udo.htm

Now that page is very interesting! I would however like to find alternative sources before assuming it to be dependable.
According to the wikipedia article “Udo of Aachen”, both “Udo of Aachen” and “retired Math professor Bob Schipke” are fictional characters invented by Ray Girvan as an April Fools joke. He acknowledges the joke here (see entry for May 7th 2001), but notes that since posting it, he’s been contacted by a Math professor who believe that a genuine illustration of a fractal (though not the Mandelbrot set) appears in a 13th century Latin Bible.

Though the only image Girvan seems to have found of the illustration is too low resolution to make out much, I suspect that any old illustrations like this are just artists’ efforts to capture naturally occurring sights, which are often fractal in nature, not evidence of a centuries old mathematical theory of Julia sets or other fractals.

I went to the page but couldnt find the mandelbrot sunspot. where exactly is it?

To find the magnetogram, click on "The Sun Now" in the upper left corner of the SOHO page & scroll down, then click on the magnetogram image. While the sunspot I noted remains, it no longer has the shape of the Mandelbrot set; look to the image I attached at the bottom of post #30 for the Mandelbrot spot.:)

http://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/