Science Forums

Health Food Claims and Lies

Racoon

I am starting this thread because there are So Many unscrupulous manufactureres and Advertisers, IT'S REALLY SCARY!

I won't Go into Organics yet...

I gotta' save some material.

BUT, as a Trainer and very Knowledgable about health and nutrition, this can be a forum for me to push my biases. :hyper:

Just Kidding, but not really :evil:

This is going to be for Creating Consumer SAVY and INFORMED purchases at the grocery store and health food store. :hihi: :hihi:

RULE #1: Low Fat, Or NO FAT usually means - Loaded with Sugar!!!

which will convert the same into BodyFat as the regular Fat, and actually make you feel less Full! :eek_big: :hyper:

Fat-Free usually means sugar and cheap Carb loaded...!

Marketing and packaging makes me Sick.

ALWAYS READ THE INGREDIENT LIST!!

PERIOD!

I tell this Stuff to client's all the time, so I'll do it here for you guys too if you give a rip...

I can field questions and make recommendations...(if any)

I put this in 'Medical Science' but I suppose it could be under Biology or Chemistry or Social Science?

Here is another Question I ponder regularly...

It seems the LESS they process food, the MORE expensive it is! :evil:

WHY???

Everything that is highly processed, and w/ Junk added, is so much cheaper than the stuff like whole unrefined grains, and things with very little additives.

You would think the opposite should be true.

Part of a Larger HMO conspiracy??

:hihi:

Great thread idea. :evil:

I follow the glycemic index. While I agree that low/no fat usually means high carbs, I think it's the kind of carb that's important. :hihi:

No/low fat but good carbs = Yogurt, Oatmeal, Pumpernickel bread etc.

No/low fat but bad carbs = Fat free Ice cream, Instant rice, Cheerios etc.

I follow the glycemic index. While I agree that low/no fat usually means high carbs, I think it's the kind of carb that's important. :evil:

Yup! :hihi:

For those who don't already know (or care), the Glycemic index ranks Carbohydrates on a scale of 1 - 100 that measures How quickly they become converted to Glucose...and enter the bloodstream

100 being Glucose

Glucose then stimulates your Insulin response.

The lower the Glycemic Index of the Food, the more stable your blood sugar will be, for longer periods.

So thats good! :hihi:

There are some High Glycemic fruits and vegetables that are good for you like

Carrots-(90) that are great, but need to be eaten w/ other low glycemic foods!

Heres a small list and their Glycemic Index ranking:

Honey 87

Cornflakes 85

Apples 36

Oranges 40

Bananas 65

Lentils 25

Mashed potatoes 80

whole wheat bread 64

The Lower the Number, the Better!

Here is another Question I ponder regularly...

It seems the LESS they process food, the MORE expensive it is! :confused:

Shelf life. Shelf life. Foods that lasts longer is easier (less expensive) to ship and less loss is incurred.
Part of a Larger HMO conspiracy??
HMOs have nothing to do with health food distribution and/or sales.

Paranoia perhaps?

Further, generally "health food" means food with higher margin. It has nearly nothing to do with health.

1) "Organic" foods have never been shown to be more healthy than traditional foods.

2) Vitamin supplements have not been shown to aid health, except in rare instances. They have been shown to cause damage, however.

3) Trends in "health" foods or "natural" foods go through fad cycles like any other consumer product, and rarely have any relationship to a fact basis. (Remember the rage for "antioxidants"? BHA and BHT were sold in health food stores as antioxidants in bulk powder form. These were the very same chemicals that were removed from foods to make them "health" foods. In the very same stores. They removed them as "preservatives" and brought them back at several orders of magnitude times the dosage as "antioxidants".)

In contrast, trackng glycemic index has a lot of good science behind it.

This has nothing to do with "health food" but is a good basis for a balanced diet.

Barry Sear's book "Enter the Zone" has a lot of good science behind it, and the listing at the back of the book about fat, protein and carb content (including low glycemic index carbs) is pretty useful.

Barry Sear's book "Enter the Zone" has a lot of good science behind it, and the listing at the back of the book about fat, protein and carb content (including low glycemic index carbs) is pretty useful.

YES!

theres also a second Zone book w/ lots of easy to follow recipes.

You can find these books at Goodwill, Flea Markets for much less than the cover price! :)

If you want to feel great, follow a Zone Diet!

Its a lot of measuring, but very, very good! ;)

Excellent point Biochemist :D

Further, generally "health food" means food with higher margin. It has nearly nothing to do with health.

1) "Organic" foods have never been shown to be more healthy than traditional foods.

3) Trends in "health" foods or "natural" foods go through fad cycles like any other consumer product, and rarely have any relationship to a fact basis.

1) True; However, I find that despite the higher price, Organic Fruits and Vegetables seem/tend to taste better! :)

3) another truth...

There are some benefits of eating 'certain' Organic fruits and vegetables, due to the High concentrations of pesticides and contaminants found on many products...

I will elaborate later, from an article by "Consumer Reports"

again, thanks for the good info Bio! ;)

As promised:

According to Consumer Reports, YOU SHOULD buy these items "Organic* as often as possible! :)

>Apples

>Bell Peppers

>Celery

>Cherries

>Imported Grapes

>Nectarines

>Peaches

>Potatoes

>Raspberries

>Spinach

>Strawberries

USDA's Lab Testing reveals that even after washing, these fruits and vegetables consistently carry much higher levels of Pesticides! :shrug:

Celery and Spinach often carry up to as many as 10 pesticides!

FOR MORE INFO GO TO

http://www.foodnews.org

here to try and help,

Racoon

There was a guy who lived in Houston, put out a book, "Diets Don't Work". It was invaluable to me. I've kept my weight down for almost 20 years now, no problem. I lean toward the "Evolution Diet". This goes on the theory that foods which were at all toxic or damaging would have either killed off all the "sensitives" over the last 20,000 years, and nurtured the "insensitives" (thereby modifying human digestive genetics), or would have been dropped from our ancestors' diet because it killed them off before they could breed. :eek2:

So, I eat large quantities of grains, veggies, fruit, with small helpings of (cooked!) chicken, meat, fish. And chocolate. Living forever isn't worth a damn without chocolate. And coffee.

[This was my post #777 -- The Number of the Breast!]

good one Pyro!

Here's a Joke! :eek2:

A Man goes to see his Doctor.

he asks "Doc, do you think I'll live to be 80?"

the Doctor looks at him and asks

"Do you Smoke?" > "No, never smoke"

"Do you Drink?" > "No, never drink."

"Do you chase Women?" > "No, I don't chase women"

The Doctor then said "Why the Hell do you wanna' live to be 80 for then??"

:D :angry: :hihi:

If you can focus your marketing audience into a richer, more "well-to-do" crowd, you can charge more...

Starbucks

Jamba Juice

Organics...

People who both care and can afford it. Why do solar panels cost so much? Why do plasma tv's cost so much? Besides the cost of production, they also know the only people interested in purchasing them will tend to be willing to pay more...

Demand-side economics...

Do Not bother buying these Organic items, as they are a waste of your hard earned Money$$$

>Seafood

>Cosmetics, and personal-care products

> Breads

>oils

> other packaged goods; canned or dried fruits and vegetables

You should buy Organic Baby Food though > because the Babies developing bodies are especially vulnerable to toxins...

But that may also vary by manufacturers

Want organics? Grab an apple off a tree for a snack! FREE! Get over the one time cost for a decent juicer, and do it up with smoothies that'll kick odwalla's ***!

I like the principal behind this thread. It's amazing what companies like Nabisco/Kraft/etc will do to make a buck off of uneducated buyers who won't make the time in their day to read the ingrediants, eh?

You pay for exclusivity (more or less). Profit margins grow smaller as total sales climb (through the garbage pail sky?). Lots of people dig wretched, fatty, deep fried, mechanically separated, high-fructose-corn-syrup-laden, carbonated, caffinated, colored, vacuum-packed, nastiness! YUCK!

I dream of living in a remote area, in a hand-built cabin, growing all of my own food, but I've accepted that it's slightly unrealistic if I desire things like highspeed inter-web connections. :naughty:

Maybe one day...

Someone more knowledgeable than me should start a "blacklist" of healthfood companies...

Good point Ingannilo:)

Around here, there are a number of people with pear and plum trees; with many just dropping to the ground for birds, worms, and flies..

So I ask the people if I can pick some. I haven't had a no answer yet. Although sometimes they're blemished, it doesn't make a difference.

I have an Apple tree in the back yard, and it just got "Whacked".

+ I also have an Apricot tree thats getting big, and was always wondering why there are never any Apricots? :)

Well,because there are no others around, so I have to hire a Pro to pollinate it! :cup: :note: ( iIfound out)

Funny how some trees reproduce fruit!

Nature is Awesome! :hyper:

Good way to get Organic produce??

Grow it! and ask neighbors for some...

In fact, I'm thinking of not planting tomatoes for that very reason. People will give you baskets full from their garden...

People are pretty nice around here :)