Science Forums

Celebrity Worship

Racoon

Like most of you, I enjoy good movies and like certain Actors and Actresses...

But Celebrity Worship bothers the hell out of me!

Everytime I go through a checkout line, Log on-line, or whatever, I am constantly bombarded by the latest celebrity gossip and styles.

Who gives a Rip??!!

apparently far too many people.

I don't care what designer Paris Hilton is wearing these days.

I could care less about Brad and Angelina getting into an arguement.

I was thinking back to the Micheal Jackson Trial. Remember that sh*t storm? and all the losers who couldn't stay away? or get enough?

Actors get paid huge $Jack, but their importance is way over-rated!

They act for crying out loud. :eek_big:

Papparazzi are scum bags too!

If people put as much Time and Energy into helping those around them, and Voting, and taking political initiatives - maybe we wouldn't be so screwed up.

More people Vote for American Idol than for Congressional elections for God's sake...:evil:

People would rather read about Celebs, than whats really going on in this world.

I think this is an Important Social and Psychological problem really. :evil:

Are there really that many Losers and Idiots in this country??

Any thoughts before another Rant??

Yup I am right there with you Rac, I have no prob admiring a good actor and I have a few fav's - but it is really silly that people bother themselves with other peoples lives so much... I dont care who is dating who and I dont know why anyone else does.. :eek_big:

Yeah

Whenever I go grocery shopping

I stand there in line

and look at all of the magaizes.

Colorful rectangle with a face of a beautiful person (Now, Ugly) severely filtered with a bunch of words like "Sex" and "diet"

it usually makes me get the urge to steal the candy bars behind me and read the ingredients.

This is not new. The Romans knew that they needed to "entertain the masses" with "Bread and Circuses". More relevantly, Shakespeare--who for some reason is considered hoity toity today, but was writing for the masses--wrote about princes and kings because its so much more tragic (not to speak of more fun! :) ) to see the powerful and the mighty fall from great heights.

You can be scornful, but people do like to stop and watch accidents and crashes. Even if you're humble and say "there but for the grace of God go I," you'll still stop to look.

So why *do* you even *look* at the covers while standing in line at the grocery store? I had one guy friend who would have none of it: "Why read stupid headlines about Michael Jackson or the President greeting an Alien [hey, the Weekly World News can be a hoot!] , when I can spend the time staring at the babes on the cover of Cosmopolitan!" :confused:

Ten Ways to Make him Drool,

Buffy

Thats my whole point.

My concern is Far Too Many people *like* whats on! :) :shrug:

Because it distracts them from the problems of their own life and provides a fantasy escape... something better *out there.* When you spend 23.75 hours a day worrying about the bills, putting food on the table, your drug addicted child or parent, bird flu, government surveillance, war, terrorists, existential problems... sometimes it's nice to subtract yourself from yourself by watching what *they* are doing.

Don't get me wrong. I find it distasteful too, but you asked for an explanation. Cheers. ;)