Science Forums

Solving the problem...

Boerseun

In response to a comment Turtle made in another thread, I propose the following:

The media is chock-full of scientists warning us about the coming End of the World via Global Warming, climate change, pollution, etc. We can ignore it, or take it seriously and try to do something.

I propose this thread as a point for constructive conversation about ways and means we as ordinary citizens of Planet Earth can do something to help. Turtle made the comment that in order to decrease his carbon signature, he restricts his recreational driving to the minimum. I think that is very constructive.

What else can we come up with?

I propose turning the American desert into a huge waist management facility owned by private enterprise and regulated by government authority. Incorporating our rail system would revitalize this industry which has seen a severe decline in past years. Controlling separation of waist products into recycleable metals, paper products, and a biogas generating plant could supply us with an energy source of sugnificient size, not to mention illiminating all the ugly land fills spread across our land that disgrace the surface of the American landscape...............Infy

I do everything I can to promote Nuclear power. We in the US need to change our regulations to allow us to use mehtods that don't create nuclear waist. We invented it, and then outlawed it. It requires more security but pays dividends otherwise. We need to end all use of gas and oil for generation of electricity. Coal too should be limited to industrial furnaces instead of power generation. As electricity is separated from emissions switch to electric power for all personal energy needs.

But this is about what I can do as an individual. Make sure I am doing full loads of laundry. Hang clothes to dry instead of using the dryer when the weather is nice. Use extra blankets at night instead of extra heat. Walk and bike to local places instead of driving. If you have the property, keep enought vegetation to supply your own CO2 to O2 needs, plus your family, plus the animals you consume for food.

Bill

Promote showers instead of bathing! You use less water, less electricity for the boiler, and you come out cleaner on the other side!

Conserve water and electricity at the same time... shower WITH a friend, in the DARK. :phones:

Seriously, I try to do that at least once or twice a week. :shrug:

Ok, now I'll be serious. I try to do the fuel conservation thing. I live about 20 miles from town. Therefore, I try to keep my trips to town to no more than once a week. I save up all of my errands for one day, then plan out my route carefully. I hit the farthest first, then work my way back. So the town day could include as many as 10 stops, but that saves me from heading in 4 or 5 times a week.

I'm also a light switch freak. I flip them off all day. It drives the kids nuts sometimes, but I just can't help it.

Conserve water and electricity at the same time... shower WITH a friend, in the DARK. :phones:

Seriously, I try to do that at least once or twice a week. :)

Yes, but with all that heat you'll be generating you will lose the benefits in air conditioning. :shrug:

Simple things like walking more, driving together, recycle for crying out loud! Individual changes when taken in sum are enormous.

Conserve water and electricity at the same time... shower WITH a friend, in the DARK. :girl_hug:

Research has demonstrated this idea will fail for two reasons:

a) The saving in electricity through non-use of the electric light is more than offset by the percentage of such episodes that end in the enforced hospitilisation of one or both parties as a consequence of falling and injuring themselves, with the concomittant pollution from gas consuming ambulances, power consumption in the emergency room, and ward.

:wave: If serious injury is avoided the percentage of such episodes leading to pregnancy and consequent further increase in world population levels is disturbingly high.

In short, your suggestion is hazardous to health, has a net effect of consuming more energy than it saves, and leads, ultimately to population overload.

You have been warned.