Science Forums

Dream holiday

Yvonne

Where should the 2005 Hypography Convention take place?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Where should the 2005 Hypography Convention take place?

• Italy
    • Denmark
    • England
    • Norway
    • Netherlands
    • Greece
    • NO - it must be in North America
    • My choice is not represented, so I'll answer in a post

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by: Yvonne

You have to come up with a sportier name than that.... that sound like something I wouldn't go to, and I'm going.... Either that or you can just leave it to the committee.... (smiling)

Okay, better leave it to the committee then (sheesh, don't anyone appreciate a bit of real creativity these days). At least find some room for the "H" word.

But I for one think that amidst all the shopping and dining and socializing it would be great to have at least one field trip to some historic place (with a guide), and possibly a popular science lecture (with refreshments). For real. This is Hypography, after all.

Ok, the committee will come up with a fabulous name...

Could the guided field trip perhaps be to a shopping mall? Just a question!!!!

And do they really have refreshments at a science lecture? Are we talking funky lemonade in plastic cups and those little flower shaped butter cookies on paper napkins? Or can we get REFRESHMENTS???

Also, it was pointed out in another thread that we can guarantee at least two more people will attend if we can plan the Convention at a time and place conducive to attending a Van Morrison concert. As I personally would LOVE to see Van the Man live, and this may well be my only chance to do so in Europe, I would like to take this under serious consideration.

Of course, no tour dates for 2005 have been released, but I am currenlty signed up to be notified as soon as any new tour dates are added. I would like to have things planned by no later than late February, early March, if we're planning to meet in May or June. Through extensive research, April seems to be the least expensive for renting an Italian villa, but May is still much less than July or August. April seems a little cold though, so I'm not opposed to paying a little more if the weather is a bit nicer.

If anyone has a month that is totallly out of the question, please let us know. Our goal is to have as many people attend as possible. This could keep the cost down on many different levels. If we can get a big enough group, there is the chance that we can work with an airline for a group discount, and through rental agencies for a very nice break also. Also, even a $5000/week villa is affordable if it's split 10 ways. Any ideas to keep costs down and make this affordable to a wider range of people is welcome. We're really looking forward to your suggestions for this!!

• 3 months later...
:rolleyes:ahh, sweet, sweet contraband.

ok, now to remove some of the randomness from this reply. I've always wanted to visit Europe but never found the time or funds. Italy caught my fancy, despite some European e-friends talking about 'the smell of Venice'. Still, as FT pointed out, it would be nice if I didn't have to spend my vacation without my beloved THC.

Quite the toss-up, I'll have to think before I vote:shrug:

what's going on here? :wink:

Ah...this is an old thread where we discussed where to hold a Hypography Convention next year. Sadly the committe decided not to follow it up and so nothing has happened yet.

Since someone voted on the poll the issue came back up.

Could always have it somewhere in Canada. I reccoment British Columbia. Somewhere around Camloops or Vancouver(city, not island) would be quite nice, but not too scientific. North manitoba has some stuff in old mines(both scientific and in the spirit of my earlyer whistfulness.....:wink: FT)

Ah...this is an old thread where we discussed where to hold a Hypography Convention next year. Sadly the committe decided not to follow it up and so nothing has happened yet.

The committee put the plans on the backburner, as there was very little interest in planning the HCE05 in August. Of course, as soon as we get those Van dates, we can move forward. Or we can just plan on not attending the concert, move the HCE05 to the States, demand that Tormod and Yvonne fly over here, and tour NASA instead.

If anyone can come up with any new ideas, please feel free to post them here. ;)

Who knows someone who knows someone?[/Quote] I have a friend whose uncle's friend's high school's boyfriend's great grand mother's twin sister's brother-in-law's grand child's girlfriend who'se friend knows a guy whose father-in-law's sister's great aunt's father's sister was married to one of the developers great grandfaters... (just kidding, but i might)