Science Forums

Dream holiday

Yvonne

Where should the 2005 Hypography Convention take place?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Where should the 2005 Hypography Convention take place?

• Italy
    • Denmark
    • England
    • Norway
    • Netherlands
    • Greece
    • NO - it must be in North America
    • My choice is not represented, so I'll answer in a post

We would of course need a villa/castle/mansion with a big kitchen where the women could cook, and a lounge where the Scientist fellows could discuss important things over a good malt. Then perhaps we'd need two dining rooms, one for those who need to worship one or more Gods before they can eat, and one for those who just rinse everything down with cheap beer, before we all gather in the luscious gardens for an evening swim in the large pool.

Unc would have to take his cigars outside since I am allergic to smoke.

As for the Science program, I think an excellent topic would be the History of Local Dining and How the Local Brewery survived the Cold War. Other sessions could include a visit to the Local Social Gathering Places (aka Pubs).

There would be NO shopping allowed, of course. We wouldn't want to support local greed.

(Ok, turn the heat on now).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, I love the idea and having a target will help me plan, but right now trying to commit to anything that far away is not possible for me.

I do know that if I even mention the possibility of Greece my SO would book the flight tonight! :-)

Being Irish myself, that would be interesting, more so than London as that is the ONLY place I have been outside of NA.

Yvonne, my Lady would (DOES!) agree with you 100%. She only knows she has a kitchen because there is a big box in it that keeps the wine, cheese and ice cream cold.

I do actually love to cook, and I do love a truely home cooked meal. A few years ago we had a "gourmet" club, where we cooked all sorts of nice meals. I guess that's one of the things I miss the most now that we have small children. They'll eat anything, but Emily's table manners aren't quite at it's best yet... but she is cute trying to eat the softcheese first on the sandwich and ending up with cheese all over her face.

But in Italy.. or Greece or wherever, restaurants are the thing...

Actually, most of the villas have cooks available for a small fee, so we'd get the best of both worlds - we could have a home cooked meal that we don't have to prepare.

I love to cook as well, and would gladly volunteer to make breakfast every morning, as long as I don't have to buy all the food for it! I bet that the women would gladly cook the meals as long as the men do the dishes!! That's the ideal around here, but my husband usually delegates his cleanup to the children. Really NOT fair in my book, but I don't complain as long as it gets done, and I don't have to do it all.

Inside smoking is not allowed in many of the villas. We could agree on house rules of only in your bedroom or outside, not in the common areas. I don't smoke, but don't have a problem with it.

Two dining rooms is a little much, I think. As long as FreeT doesn't spit on my food while I'm quietly praying, we shouldn't have a problem ;>P

Did anyone check out that link for the Italian villa yet? If not, give it a quick peek and let me know if it's something that would be workable.

As for checking out the local 'eating and social establishments'... I thought that would be understood by all. I certainly expect no less!

As for shopping... now don't be silly. We're going to at least have to buy the typical "My parents went on a cool European vacation and all I got was this silly shirt" t-shirts for the kids, aren't we? And ashtrays and shot glasses and thimbles and teacups for the adults on our souvenir list... So there will have to be SOME shopping... Of course, if we're in Italy, we'll have to get a dress or two, and at least one pair of nice shoes... and... and... you get the picture. Perhaps the best bet would be to leave all but one credit card at home and hope for the best??

We went to a wedding this weekend were 30 of the guests were Italian, and there were 7 nationalities! We had a blast. I can't wait to go to Italy again. Of course all your suggestions sound fine.

Is that your daughter? She looks lovely!

I've spent the majority of the weekend looking at villas on the web. I found an awesome sight... check it out when you get the chance and tell me what you think. FreeT, they list places in Greece as well.

[l]www.perfectplaces.com[/l]

Your wedding sounds incredible! 30 Italians?? WOW! Hopefully we'll get enough interest to be able to rent a really incredible villa. If not, then I guess it'll just be the four of us, because Mr. Irish is actually getting excited about this trip, so we are crossing the ocean for sure. I can hardly wait!!!

And yes, that's my baby. Of course, I think she's lovely, but I may just be a bit biased. Thanks though!

To answer your question from another thread Irish,...I would like few things more than to attend. I do have some financial issues after my recent 14 month hiatus. The new job creates a problem with available time. At this point I would say the probability of actually being there is quite low, but things could change.