Science Forums

Quirky Science Facts!

Boerseun

Guest chendoh

I Just got off of work from the local newspaper...........167,529 Copies, Signitures, whatever you want to call them, Four Editions with press speed at 72,000pph, and....Ya Know, I'm gettting sick of this folding paper bit :naughty:

Ya wanna a Quirky fact, ?????????

My Scat don't stink! :D

Guest chendoh

If you boil an egg longer than twelve minutes, the the yolk will turn grey.

Just got done with some deviled eggs......you know.....Ummm.

Ask me,........ask me...........What I use for the filling.....

The largest living organism in the world is a... fungus!

Until August of 2000 it was thought that the largest living organism was a fungus of the same species (Armillaria ostoyae) that covered 1,500 acres (600 hectares) found living in the state of Washington. But then mycology experts surmised that if an Armillaria that large could be found in Washington, then perhaps one just as large could be responsible for the trees dying in the Malheur National Forest in the Blue Mountains of eastern Oregon. Researchers were astonished at the sheer magnitude of the find. This most recent find was estimated to cover over 2,200 acres (890 hectares) and be at least 2,400 years old, possibly older.

Biggest living thing; Huge mushroom in Oregon

The largest living organism in the world is a... fungus!

Biggest living thing; Huge mushroom in Oregon

Amazing

there is a "tree" in Tasmania which might rival the fungus

ISAAC - International Society of Arboriculture, Australia Chapter

Australia can claim a little bit of glory in the age stakes in having the oldest genetically identical stand of trees. While no individual in this stand of Huon Pine (Lagarostrobos franklinii) in Tasmania is especially old by world standards, clones of the original tree have stood on the site for at least 10,500 years (http://www.dpiwe.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/WebPages/BHAN-5494LA?open).

Of course at the moment we are trying to turn Tasmania into a nice park for the kiddies with swings etc.,; the trees do get in the way:)

O!

and

this is interesting:-

Although you may need to hurry to see them before we make woodchips out of them to send them to Japan to make origami.

Huon Pines can be 2,000 years old and are Australia's oldest living trees.

Australia may be set to claim the world's oldest tree record, as two specimens of the world's rarest eucalypt, the Mongarlowe Mallee (Eucalyptus recurva), which grow 40 metres apart, may be part of the same original tree.

If so, they are estimated to be 13,000 years old!

If not, the individuals themselves may be 3,000 years old, making them Australia's oldest trees (http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws.nsf/Content/Eucalyptus+recurva+a+mallee+draft+recovery+plan).

We also may have the oldest living plant, King's Holly (Lomatia tasmanica), with a clonal colony possibly up to 43,000 years old

(http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/veg/lomatia/lomatia.html).