Science Forums

Quirky Science Facts!

Boerseun

As long as you keep the televangelists and fundamentalists away you might have a chance.

They are advancing on TV during the 9apropriatly0 witching ours. MY B_I-L is a Pasta (some kind of Italian dish)

Is it true you guys can't have guns anymore?

Guns? What are guns?

O yes we use them to kill feral animals and depressed farmers.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really know where to put this.

It doesn't really fit in any forum/thread I can think of;

but recently the feral Australian Customs had a rush of cocaine smuggling from a drug ring of LOLs (Llittle Old Ladies).

Despite Custom's best efforts, tearing apart luggage, body searches etc they were unable to find out how the LOls were secreting the drugs around their person

Their highly trained sniffer dogs were certainly going berserk.

This went on for some time until someone went back to the Dog Training School to check the type of cocaine the dogs were being trained to identify.It was hoped that some clue to the source cocaine could be ascertained..

It was only then discovered that the dogs were being trained on Baby (Talcum ) Powder.

:cup: :) :)

Rebinds me of the local "Chaser" comedian who was also stopped by police dogs in the street (Where police are not supposed to be able to stop people). He had several pounds of sausages and steak secreted about his person. As with the APEC stunt police were furious but were unable to charge the comedian with "secreting sausages about his person."

(BTW all charges from the APEC stunt (impersonating Osama Bin Laden?; the CIA? ;making police look like dopes?) have been dropped.)

• 2 weeks later...
Breaking News! Palo Alto, CA - A surprise announcement was made today by Apple CEO Steve Jobs when he revealed that his company has been awarded a patent for the 'click'. "A member of our legal staff was doing routine research when she discovered that no patents had yet been granted for this idea. Since we were the first to commercially use a mouse, we quickly snagged it up. It was a no brain-er for us and we feel that it belonged to us anyways. Frankly, I'm rather shocked that we didn't already own it."

JokingAround.com! Making up news and re-writing history

Breaking News! Palo Alto, CA - A surprise announcement was made today by Apple CEO Steve Jobs when he revealed that his company has been awarded a patent for the 'click'. "A member of our legal staff was doing routine research when she discovered that no patents had yet been granted for this idea. Since we were the first to commercially use a mouse, we quickly snagged it up. It was a no brain-er for us and we feel that it belonged to us anyways. Frankly, I'm rather shocked that we didn't already own it."

JokingAround.com! Making up news and re-writing history

• 3 weeks later...
Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln were born in the same year and on the same day.

How Darwin and Lincoln Shaped Us | Newsweek Politics | Newsweek.com

Good read, and indeed, a quirky fact.

Just yesterday my mind was wandering and I wondered whether or not Lincoln had ever encountered evolution/natural selection and if so what he thought about it. There is no mention in the article, but I'm guessing word traveled slow back then so he probably didn't hear about it much if at all..

• 1 month later...

This may be an information overload

But 50% of female polar bears have a penis??????

Unnecessary Knowledge

Links

Unnecessary Knowledge

Unnecessary Knowledge

Toplist

#

Unnecessary Knowledge

Average

- When Titanic sank it had 3000 tonnes of ham onboard.

- John Wilkes Booth’s brother once saved the life of Abraham Lincoln’s son.

- There is enough fat in the average adult human body to make seven bars of soap.

- 315 entries in Webster’s 1996 dictionary were misspelled.

- 50% of female polar bears also have a penis.

- Charlie Chaplin once won third prize in a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest.

- An adult giraffe's kick is so powerful that it can decapitate a lion.

- The word “lethologica” describes the state of not being able to remember the word you want.

- It’s estimated that at any one time around 0.7% of the world’s population is drunk.

- Contrary to what Hollywood suggests, it is not advisable to take a pulse with your thumb, as it is possible to detect your own pulse using this method.

- The most overdue book in the world was borrowed from Sidney Sussex College in Cambridge, England and was returned 288 years later.

- Every year approximately 2,500 left-handed people are killed by using object or machinery designed for right-handed people.

- In ancient Rome, when a man testified in court he would swear on his testicles.

- The brain continues sending electrical wave signals for 37 hours after death

- Between 1902 and 1907, the same tiger killed 434 people in India.

GENERATE UNNECESSARY KNOWLEDGE | TOPLIST | UPLOAD UNNECESSARY KNOWLEDGE

Totalt antal: 197.

Unnecessary Knowledge

[Latin, witness, testis; see testify.]

Word History: The resemblance between testimony, testify, testis, and testicle shows an etymological relationship, but linguists are not agreed on precisely how English testis came to have its current meaning. The Latin testis originally meant "witness," and etymologically means "third (person) standing by": the te- part comes from an older tri-, a combining form of the word for "three," and -stis is a noun derived from the Indo-European root st- meaning "stand." How this also came to refer to the body part(s) is disputed. An old theory has it that the Romans placed their right hands on their testicles and swore by them before giving testimony in court. Another theory says that the sense of testicle in Latin testis is due to a calque, or loan translation, from Greek. The Greek noun parastats means "defender (in law), supporter" (para- "by, alongside," as in paramilitary and -stats from histanai, "to stand"). In the dual number, used in many languages for naturally occurring, contrasting, or complementary pairs such as hands, eyes, and ears, parastats had the technical medical sense "testicles," that is "two glands side by side." The Romans simply took this sense of parastats and added it to testis, the Latin word for legal supporter, witness.

testis - definition of testis by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

[Latin, witness, testis; see testify.]

Word History: The resemblance between testimony, testify, testis, and testicle shows an etymological relationship, but linguists are not agreed on precisely how English testis came to have its current meaning. The Latin testis originally meant "witness," and etymologically means "third (person) standing by": the te- part comes from an older tri-, a combining form of the word for "three," and -stis is a noun derived from the Indo-European root st- meaning "stand." How this also came to refer to the body part(s) is disputed. An old theory has it that the Romans placed their right hands on their testicles and swore by them before giving testimony in court. Another theory says that the sense of testicle in Latin testis is due to a calque, or loan translation, from Greek. The Greek noun parastats means "defender (in law), supporter" (para- "by, alongside," as in paramilitary and -stats from histanai, "to stand"). In the dual number, used in many languages for naturally occurring, contrasting, or complementary pairs such as hands, eyes, and ears, parastats had the technical medical sense "testicles," that is "two glands side by side." The Romans simply took this sense of parastats and added it to testis, the Latin word for legal supporter, witness.

testis - definition of testis by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Hmmmm I wonder just how different our court rooms would be if indeed we stood to loose more than our freedom if we lied? Kinda puts a whole new spin on things! "Put your right hand on your privates" "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, or loose your testicles" :hihi: I'm betting there would be fewer lies from men at least!

Hmmmm I wonder just how different our court rooms would be if indeed we stood to loose more than our freedom if we lied? ...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Makes me wonder now what the connotations of the latin word for perjury were in ancient Rome.

Always wondered why the Romans had so many Eunuchs around...