Science Forums

Why do you think Global Warming is being ignored?

Wondering

Hi everyone! This is my first time on this site, and I was just wondering what you're thoughts are on Global Warming and why you think people (including politicians) may be ignoring this global issue. What is the reason for overlooking this? Is it fear? (That is if you think people ARE ignoring it). Do you think Global Warming, Climate Change, and Natural Disasters deserve more attention?

a. Pressure from big business to keep costs low, and to keep energy profits high.

b. Cost of alternative energies, which are not researched due to (a).

c. Greed of the average human who feels the need to drive alone to work, and have his precious family ride ten feet of the road in a tank. In this way, the greedy and least thoughtful live the longest, creating yet another negative selection force on the species.

d. Laziness.

e. Fear of admitting that the government has been wrong about global warming for at least the last fifteen years. Do they share science advisors with Phillip Morris?

f. So we can grow pineapples in Alaska (from King of the Hill).

a. Pressure from big business to keep costs low, and to keep energy profits high.

c. Greed of the average human who feels the need to drive alone to work, and have his precious family ride ten feet of the road in a tank. In this way, the greedy and least thoughtful live the longest, creating yet another negative selection force on the species.

d. Laziness.

e. Fear of admitting that the government has been wrong about global warming for at least the last fifteen years. Do they share science advisors with Phillip Morris?

Nice Post JKMD..

But he/she double posted this earlier on as a bi-product of sometimes glitches..

theres another Copy of this thread with previous responses. from today.

You're in good company and you're post is Duly Noted! :lol:

Maybe we can start new from here....

A through F. ?

d. Laziness.

Thank you very much for your reply! Its nice to see someone who agrees with me. :hyper: I was worried for a while that my idea was a bad one. (im doing research for my first research paper for college)

By the way.. sorry for posting this message twice.. I didn't know about the search engine and all that. :hyper:

d. Laziness.

JKELLMD is correct in his/her noting of the above. But we have finally observed a "concensus" by all the leading nations that global warming is REAL.

The frustration is apparent upon examination of the slow pace of R&D into these new technologies, but I am encouraged. Clearly, the higher costs of crude and instability in the Middle East, have served to accelerate prospects. More recently, 60 Minutes (Feb. 26, 2006) aired a segment on the Montanna governor plans to do open mining of "coal fields" that would produce high grade diesel fuel - w/ the main downside of increased CO2 from this newer production method. Similarly, there have been numerous programs on vegetable oil mix in diesel fuel. I think this is the most clever! It takes used cooking oils from McDonalds and numerous restaurants and burns it with much less exhause pollutants, and solves the disposal ISSUE of used cooking oils! Yes, we've got a ways to go. But we have reason for encouragement. though not matter what steps we take - the Earth's warming would still continue as a result of the now-dimished ozone protective layer.

More recently, 60 Minutes (Feb. 26, 2006) aired a segment on the Montanna governor plans to do open mining of "coal fields" that would produce high grade diesel fuel - w/ the main downside of increased CO2 from this newer production method. Similarly, there have been numerous programs on vegetable oil mix in diesel fuel.

___I saw the 60 minutes piece; I understood them to say that while the burning of this coal derived diesel fuel produces less CO2, the process of making it produces more than petroleum derived diesel. They plan to ameleorate this by capturing the CO2 & selling it to oil companies to use in pressurizing oil wells.

___The vegetable oil can't be used straight from the fryer, but first must undergo a chemical treatment to remove the glycerin (I think its glycerin:shrug: ) so it doesn't foul the engines. I don't know what they do with the glycerin and/or the chemical used to separate it.

____All in all it sounds like methane is as big a concern as carbon dioxide in terms of greenhouse gases. Clearly global warming is not ignored & in fact seems a rather popular topic of contention.

Really, the free market should take care of it, rather belatedly, unfortunately. People eventually will start voting with what counts, their money. More hybrid vehicles are being sold, and more are being designed. I just about wet my pants over an image Tormod posted to the gallery a few months ago regarding the air car.

In the seventies, improved gas milage was the prime reason Americans switched to Japanese imports, and their sales skyrocketed. When consumers start prioritizing the issue again, the industry will be forced to respond. The technology is already there, automakers just have to divorce their interests from those of the oil conglomerates - if they don't, they won't have enough sales to survive.

I worry more about home heating. What are we going to do with our furnaces over the next twenty years?

• 1 year later...

This may simply be sheer conjecture, or maybe just my own opinion since I do not have any scientific data to back it up, only personal observation. I don't think that global warming (aka "climate change") is being ignored. It is currently one of the hottest issues (no pun intended) around. A lot of the slow progress seems to stem from our own comfort zones. In first world countries we have become accustomed to a very comfortable lifestyle, which has been made affordable to us through the industrial revolution. Although we do not hold ourselves personally responsible for the creation of greenhouse gases, as consumers we have blindly fed the "terrible corporate monsters" who just won't stop polluting. I know that I myself couldn't bear to go one day without packing 4 children into my SUV and making that trip to the local discount store where we will purchase all of the wonderful items that are manufactured in China and packaged neatly into individual plastic and cardboard wrappers. Once back at home, the children will file off into their own rooms and turn on their televisions, xboxes, PCs, and Nintendos. I will sit down to watch a terrifying documentary on cable television that tells me how Greenland and Antarctica are going to thaw out within the next 10 to 100 years.

I don't mean to sound so sarcastic. It is simply an observation of my own lifestyle. The amount of energy consumed by the typical American household is ridiculous. The amount of waste created is even worse. I personally would love to switch over to renewable sources of energy such as solar or wind, but when I research the products that are available I find that in order to make any kind of impact, I have to shell out at least $50,000. After you add that to my 1st and 2nd mortgage, I think I'll just have to continue paying the big guys for gas and electric.

Once again, I really do not mean to sound sarcastic. It is simply a realistic point of view. You also have to consider that the majority of Americans who are not in the upper echelons of big business CEOs and Lawmakers, have to work for them to make ends meet. It is a vicious cycle. There is no magic bullet. Only slow progress. I can only hope that our governments can bring about some change by offering Tax incentives or renewable energy assistance programs for individuals in the residential sector as well as in the commercial. I am not aware of anything aside from a tax credit so far. As far as going "green" goes for myself and my family, I'll keep my lawn up, tell the kids to turn off their lights and televisions when they are not in use, maybe even plant a few more plants and trees around the house, but I won't be purchasing any equipment for renewable energy this year.

This may simply be sheer conjecture, or maybe just my own opinion since I do not have any scientific data to back it up, only personal observation. I don't think that global warming (aka "climate change") is being ignored. It is currently one of the hottest issues (no pun intended) around. A lot of the slow progress seems to stem from our own comfort zones. In first world countries we have become accustomed to a very comfortable lifestyle, which has been made affordable to us through the industrial revolution. Although we do not hold ourselves personally responsible for the creation of greenhouse gases, as consumers we have blindly fed the "terrible corporate monsters" who just won't stop polluting. I know that I myself couldn't bear to go one day without packing 4 children into my SUV and making that trip to the local discount store where we will purchase all of the wonderful items that are manufactured in China and packaged neatly into individual plastic and cardboard wrappers. Once back at home, the children will file off into their own rooms and turn on their televisions, xboxes, PCs, and Nintendos. I will sit down to watch a terrifying documentary on cable television that tells me how Greenland and Antarctica are going to thaw out within the next 10 to 100 years.

I don't mean to sound so sarcastic. It is simply an observation of my own lifestyle. The amount of energy consumed by the typical American household is ridiculous. The amount of waste created is even worse. I personally would love to switch over to renewable sources of energy such as solar or wind, but when I research the products that are available I find that in order to make any kind of impact, I have to shell out at least $50,000. After you add that to my 1st and 2nd mortgage, I think I'll just have to continue paying the big guys for gas and electric.

Once again, I really do not mean to sound sarcastic. It is simply a realistic point of view. You also have to consider that the majority of Americans who are not in the upper echelons of big business CEOs and Lawmakers, have to work for them to make ends meet. It is a vicious cycle. There is no magic bullet. Only slow progress. I can only hope that our governments can bring about some change by offering Tax incentives or renewable energy assistance programs for individuals in the residential sector as well as in the commercial. I am not aware of anything aside from a tax credit so far. As far as going "green" goes for myself and my family, I'll keep my lawn up, tell the kids to turn off their lights and televisions when they are not in use, maybe even plant a few more plants and trees around the house, but I won't be purchasing any equipment for renewable energy this year.

Hi everyone! This is my first time on this site, and I was just wondering what you're thoughts are on Global Warming and why you think people (including politicians) may be ignoring this global issue. What is the reason for overlooking this? Is it fear? (That is if you think people ARE ignoring it). Do you think Global Warming, Climate Change, and Natural Disasters deserve more attention?

It was being ignored because of corporate opposition to cleaning up their act as an added expense to cut into their profit margins.

But now the publicity about the disappearing ice caps has given this problem an added momentum to do something.

However, a very important cause to this problem is being ignored and that is the deforestation of trees that are our 'natural' air conditioners that not only convert the carbon dioxide gasses to refresh the air but these trees also contribute to 'cooling' the planet because of the tremendous amount of the energy from the sun is used for their growth to eliminate these heat energies that would normally be reradiated into the air to heat up the planet as the deserts do.

So, deforestation is very important to stop this practice that is happening in Spoth America for grazing lands for cattle production and in other countries like Indonesia for extra land to grow 'gourmet coffee' beans (recent news item) where this wild forest land is destroying the habitats of the Orangatans and elephants in that region.

So, These deforestations are also then causing the elimination of the wildlife also besides contributiong to the GW problem.

Mike C

Global warming is being ignored because people always ignore problems that are not of an immediate nature. Also people ignore it because to do anything about it would call for a major change in lifestyle. Perhaps someone who has read the Nobel Laureate's book on the subject could tell us what Gore thinks we should do. I notice that he is a major user of energy and has not changed his lifestyle.

Q, Gore does use a lot of energy. However, the second half of your statement is false. He has done quite a bit to mitigate his carbon footprint as well as attempting to help convince the world to cut its carbon footprint.

iamnoman, you can make a surprisngly big difference without shelling out 50k. If you are building a new house anyways, and if the soil in the area is correct for it, put in a geothermal system. Make sure the house is adequately insulated.

Bring your own bags to go shopping. Not only do you cut down pollution, less energy needs to go into making plastic or paper bags.

Turn your thermostat down 3 degrees in the winter and up 3 in the summer.

Drive the speed limit, better efficiency. I buying a new car, consider mileage.

And many others.

There are a little over 300 million people in the US, each consuming oxygen and exhaling co2 while creating 4.6 lbs of garbage each day. The rest of the worlds 6 billion inhabitants also create co2 and xlbs of garbage each day. It would seem that we are not in control of what the other 5.7 billion are doing

or what they will continue to do as they try to emulate our lifestyle of profligacy. We are preaching to ourselves while the rest of the world is not listening to or caring about the message.

There are a little over 300 million people in the US, each consuming oxygen and exhaling co2 while creating 4.6 lbs of garbage each day. The rest of the worlds 6 billion inhabitants also create co2 and xlbs of garbage each day. It would seem that we are not in control of what the other 5.7 billion are doing

or what they will continue to do as they try to emulate our lifestyle of profligacy. We are preaching to ourselves while the rest of the world is not listening to or caring about the message.

Where'd you get that idea from?

At the recent Bali conference, the US was one of only three countries to not sign on to the agreement. To me, that sends a message to the world that we don't care or choose to ignore it.

the United States - the richest country and the biggest CO2 producer in the world has refused to bind itself to any commitment, and Canada, which promised a six-per-cent CO2 reduction under Kyoto, has instead increased its emissions by 33 per cent.

Now, as The Hindu reports, it appears that rich countries are trying to pass the responsibility off on developing economies like India and China.

It is interesting - and reassuring - that (contrary to the North American agenda of inaction) China, for example, is already creating a climate change strategy designed to contain its emissions, despite its efforts to bring the nation out of poverty.

Bali: U.S., Canada, Japan Stand Up for Selfishness | DeSmogBlog

Let's not be naive about what developing nations are doing about global warming. Having a few meetings or signing treaties does NOT attack global warming.

Kyoto Protocol

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Kyoto Protocol

The Kyoto Protocol is an amendment to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change

Opened for signature December 11, 1997 in Kyoto, Japan

Entered into force February 16, 2005.

Conditions for entry into force 55 parties and at least 55% CO2 1990 emissions by UNFCCC Annex I parties.

Parties 174 countries and other governmental entities (as of November 2007)

The Kyoto Protocol is a protocol to the international Framework Convention on Climate Change with the objective of reducing Greenhouse gases that cause climate change. It was agreed on 11 December 1997 at the 3rd Conference of the Parties to the treaty when they met in Kyoto, and entered into force on 16 February 2005.

As of November 2007, 174 parties have ratified the protocol. Of these, 36 developed countries (plus the EU as a party in its own right) are required to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to the levels specified for each of them in the treaty (representing over 61.6% of emissions from Annex I countries) [1] [2], with three more countries intending to participate[3]. One hundred and thirty-seven (137) developing countries have ratified the protocol, including Brazil, China and India, but have no obligation beyond monitoring and reporting emissions.

Among various experts, scientists and critics there is some debate about the usefulness of the protocol, and there have been cost-benefit studies performed on its usefulness.

Global Warming in Alaska

Global Warming in China: New Documentation

China is the rousing giant of global warming. It stands as a developing nation outside the guidelines of the Kyoto treaty, yet with more than one billion people and a huge energy-gobbling economy, it is one of the most influential countries in climate change. It is first in coal consumption and the number two nation in carbon dioxide emissions behind the United States. Many of its cities are thick with air pollution and large regions are beset with drought, failing crops and sandstorms linked to global warming. China's leaders remain fixed on rapid development and increasing energy use, yet the first steps are being taken toward emissions control and alternative energy. These few photos represent the first attempt by World View of Global Warming to bring China into focus among all the other effects documented. More information and photos will be added soon.

Capitol Steel Mill, the largest polluter and emitter in Beijing, dominates the west side of the city.

Beijing's center is a metropolis to rival New York and London, and automobile use is increasing rapidly

Most rural folk make their own briquettes for heating from pulverized coal from local coal mines.

Have a look at this link:

Official: China acting on climate change_English_Xinhua

Questor, I feel your statement: "We are preaching to ourselves while the rest of the world is not listening to or caring about the message." ...is highly innaccurate. This is a global problem and every major country is aware of the issues.

Can more be done? Certainly!