Science Forums

Computers Tomorrow

After we have all contributed to paint a 'rosy' picture of computers tomorrow, how about a picture of computers tonight. There is always a midnight before dawn!

Let me make the first brush stroke.

I foresee that computers in near future will become so cheap that even school students will afford to have one, in fact, the spill proof laptop variety, which they will be able to carry to school (no need of a schhol bag). On these computers they will be able to download all learning aids, the homework and they will be able to complete the homework without the help of any pen, pencil, keyboard or even the wretched mouse. This computer will be able to sense, whether the child is ready to learn, is comprehending what is intended to be taught, and if it senses to the contrary, it will offer options according to the mood and personality of the child.

How's that as a starter!!!:)

AIs sensing human emotion, sounds like it is at least 20 years away. Thank goodness, because I'm still a big fan of some personal 1-1 teaching.

Let's set a definition for computer here. It seems you are talking about the PC (personal computer). Currently those spill proof (resistant really not proof) laptops you are talking about cost between $2500 and $5000, surely not in the cost effective category. But yes, within 5 years I see that price going down as new manufacturers jump in the market like HP is doing, since Panasonic largely has that market in a stranglehold.

I see computers used for learning actually taking a backseat to the computer home entertainment center. This PC will be the family's complete home theater and gaming system within 5 years. Some of these are already in existance, but cost an arm and leg. Instead of a new X-BOX or PS3, the kiddies will want the new MSHMGS (Microsoft Home Media and Gaming Station) and these will be sold for about $1500, and replace the digital receivers, tuners, sound equipment (sans the speakers), game platforms, and media players (being fully able to play every old format and the latest holographic DVDs, mp6s, and having a 10 TB of storage for instant download of DVD's from the movie producers instead of waiting in line for the latest movie to come out.

I see computers used for learning actually taking a backseat to the computer home entertainment center. This PC will be the family's complete home theater and gaming system within 5 years. Some of these are already in existance, but cost an arm and leg. Instead of a new X-BOX or PS3, the kiddies will want the new MSHMGS (Microsoft Home Media and Gaming Station) and these will be sold for about $1500, and replace the digital receivers, tuners, sound equipment (sans the speakers), game platforms, and media players (being fully able to play every old format and the latest holographic DVDs, mp6s, and having a 10 TB of storage for instant download of DVD's from the movie producers instead of waiting in line for the latest movie to come out.

lol, it had to be microhard didnt it, why cant you think about the already available possibilities of the cell processor, imagine a cell workstation, capable of doing anything imaginable, blueray DVD, capable of running PS3 games with no emulation, another DVD and you can add while ripping the latest DVD, faster memory bus and ATA and an even more crazified graphics card and you can also add while recording some show from the TV....

lol, it had to be microhard didnt it, why cant you think about the already available possibilities of the cell processor, imagine a cell workstation, capable of doing anything imaginable, blueray DVD, capable of running PS3 games with no emulation, another DVD and you can add while ripping the latest DVD, faster memory bus and ATA and an even more crazified graphics card and you can also add while recording some show from the TV....

I dont know if that is a criticism of my imagination, but my point was that an affordable computer in 5 years would have these type of components. Sorry if I'm a realist, I don't think I'm stretching the imagination sure, but that doesnt' mean I'm not right.

I dont know if that is a criticism of my imagination, but my point was that an affordable computer in 5 years would have these type of components. Sorry if I'm a realist, I don't think I'm stretching the imagination sure, but that doesnt' mean I'm not right.

That's fine, but what I forsee, with the dwindling interest in education-because it is not so well paying as some other fashionable vocations, in next twenty thirty years, people will find industry and economy declining because there won't be enough bright educated people (all of them would have been leered off to less demanding and more paying vocations). It is then that the industry and the governments will start focussing on education that does not require many dedicated and gifted teachers for the "personal 1-1 teaching".

hallenrm

My Philosophy in life: There are no absolutes, nothing is ultimate, everything is transitory.