Science Forums

Computers Tomorrow

Not quite sure what you meant by the last sentence.

We have phones that text and all already, so I think that type of computer exists.

Computers have two reasons for existence.

1. To make tasks easier/faster/automatic/less flawed. All of these fall into the getting work done category.

2. To provide entertainment in the form of games, videos, chatting, surfing, etc.

What I am aiming at, is to invite some imaginative thoughts about the future of devices known as computers now.

Any takers!:eek2:

I like David Attenborough's description of homo sapiens: The Compulsive Communicators.

I think you've got a point - computers were initially designed to solve mathematical problems, but the moment humans figured out that it could be used for more complex communication than a simple telephone, they invented the internet and the computational aspect was relegated to a more invisible back-end function. And I reckon that trend is set to continue.

I think that once people get over the ethical side of it, implanted computers would be the Next Big Thing. Linked to your brain, with a small implant in your retina, you could be online 24/7. They could draw energy from your blood stream, the pH being tapped for enough juice to power it. It will become part of your body. Imagine - you're a mechanic, and need to access the valve timing data for the specific car you're working on. While you're busy taking the engine's top off, you'll see all the relevant data and schematics floating in the air in front of you. You can also chat with your mates on a mechanics forum about the best way of doing it, while busy with it.

A lawyer in court can access all relevant case files whilst sitting in court.

A pilot can see himself in realtime as he approaches the airport, having his GPS data floating in front of him whilst looking out the cockpit.

I can't see this being very far off, they'll just have to figure out where to plug the controllers into individual brains!

...and obviously, the CPU must be implanted relatively shallow, so that you can go to your GP for a quick upgrade. The brain implants should be permanent, however. Rather like a USB connection staying the same while you upgrade your CPU...

What I am aiming at, is to invite some imaginative thoughts about the future of devices known as computers now.

Any takers!:eek2:

Dan Brown in his novel "Deception Point" describes microbots that haunt the enemy locations like housefly and spy on them. He says that a microbot can even be designed to kill! Why can't there be microbots or tinybots that can do mundane household work such as dusting the shelves, cleaning the cobwebs off the wall corners, etc? With equipments like vacuum cleaners, you need to go round holding them, so it is mostly manual.

And then I would like my PCs to be like a book (more compact than the laptaps) that I can carry easily, and browse and read even lying down. It should be pretty much like reading from or writing to a piece of paper. The software must be so versatile and invisible that would let me write and draw as I do on paper, save and transmit them. As for writing, even if I scribble, the software should idenfity the individual letters and transcribe it to the correct and legible forms!

As for a computerized environment, I would like a house like that of Bill Gates, but at the cost I can afford. (I read somewhere about the hitech home of Bill Gates; is there any online article on it?)

Regards,

saidevo

Dan Brown in his novel "Deception Point" describes microbots that haunt the enemy locations like housefly and spy on them. He says that a microbot can even be designed to kill! Why can't there be microbots or tinybots that can do mundane household work such as dusting the shelves, cleaning the cobwebs off the wall corners, etc? With equipments like vacuum cleaners, you need to go round holding them, so it is mostly manual.

And then I would like my PCs to be like a book (more compact than the laptaps) that I can carry easily, and browse and read even lying down. It should be pretty much like reading from or writing to a piece of paper. The software must be so versatile and invisible that would let me write and draw as I do on paper, save and transmit them. As for writing, even if I scribble, the software should idenfity the individual letters and transcribe it to the correct and legible forms!

As for a computerized environment, I would like a house like that of Bill Gates, but at the cost I can afford. (I read somewhere about the hitech home of Bill Gates; is there any online article on it?)

Regards,

saidevo

Ok, I was talking about PCs in my comments above. There are new machines that will incorporate computers in every day life, but as far as a PC goes, I can't imagine any major leaps or bounds.

As far as what is discussed in the quote above, those are called tablet PCs. One of the greatest downfalls currently to a tablet PC is the ability of the PC to pick up and accurately transcribe your writing. I've used them and honestly the sensitivity to the stylus varied without even changing a setting. That part made me so mad at the darn thing that I wanted to throw it away within an hour of using it.

Great! but my imagination takes me on a to totally different trajectory!! How about computer for everyone according to his/her needs and ability? I think sometime after fifty odd years we would be able to train our brain to communicate with other brains, find information that we are seeking. All without the help of any device embedded or otherwise. I forsee the biotechnology along with meditation exercises to acheive it.

How's that?;)

well, that could happen, although i would suggest the possibility of a biotechnological device that would open up our ability to use the brain and enhance its capacity, it would or could be implanted in kids at early childhood, and would eliminate such things as ADD on the genetic level, monitor health and activities making adjustments as needed....

All without the help of any device embedded or otherwise.

Without the help of any devices, you are taking about the computers of yesterday: the human mind.

I forsee the biotechnology along with meditation exercises to acheive it.

Essentially using meditation to set up peer-to-peer knowledge networks? I'm not extremely knowledgeable on the subject, but I've yet to see a 'mind reader' that truly was.

I like the thoughts expressed earlier on this thread, about embedded devices, but I don't think embedded is the way to go; at least not completely. I'd be more for an interface (think wetwired USB) that would allow a device to be plugged in to the mind, but also removed and upgraded without surgery when required (Moore's Law would be pretty painful otherwise).

...and input is a matter of moving your fingers a little bit...

I'd want to move away from physical movement for control / navigation of our little brain-in-a-box... Accidentally erasing a highlighted line of text due to a sneeze is bad enough, but an inadvertent rm -rf * from a bean burrito would drive me over the edge.:lol: