Science Forums

Hypography and Free Speech

TheBigDog

I'm going to ask one of you (I really don't care which one) to start a new thread about the differences between a democracy and Hypography, and how much 'free speech' the staff affords the members around here.

I had some alternative titles for this thread in mind...

"Tormod - Benevolent Dictator or Power Crazed Mogul?"

"BigDog races to kiss *** - WINS!"

"Irish says we can't play tag on the four-square court"

But all of those would be less than accurate or appropriate.

In my professional life I do a great deal of process improvement projects. Since I enjoy Hypography so much, and hope to continue enjoying far into the future, I figure that it is not a bad idea to talk about what the boundaries of free speech are, how how they differ in differing forums.

At my kitchen table the rules of what is appropriate are different at 6:00 when the whole family is sitting around than they are at 11:30 when all the kids have gone to bed and adults are discussing adult subjects. I would expect different sensibilities at a school event than at a horror movie convention. But even in these very different environments there should be plenty of room left to express yourself both explicitly and politely. In my opinion such things should seem self evident, and people should be observant of the lead presented by the host to understand the boundaries.

What gets confusing sometimes is the line between taking friendly shots at one another, and the appearance of those shots to an outsider who may not be familiar with the mutually accepted level of banter between the specific individuals.

So, what do you think is the line of proper decorum here at Hypography? Is it anything goes in the name of free speech? Obviously we need to be artful in our verbal engagements, and respectful of the boundaries layed out in the rules. But is Hypography also a democratic format where the participants have a say in the shaping of those rules? Should it be?

Bill

now Irish, about the glow of Rep points...

One thing to keep in mind when posting here, is that, as with most internet forums, some of our members are very young. Although I’m somewhat out-of-standing for the time being - my youngest child is 22, and my oldest grandchild 7 – I’d like to think of this as a “G to PG rated” site, suitable for any kids mature enough to appreciate the Science.

Except the poetry thread – censoring poems is simply pure evil, in my book, tender ears to protect or not.

I had some alternative titles for this thread in mind...

"Tormod - Benevolent Dictator or Power Crazed Mogul?"

"BigDog races to kiss *** - WINS!"

"Irish says we can't play tag on the four-square court"

now Irish, about the glow of Rep points...

totally love it!

And I have no idea why the first one would not have been appropriate. I've often asked myself the very same question. :hihi: (he knows I am just kidding, so I have no fear of saying that at all...:) )

Before I step into this thread with an opinion, I'd really like to get some more feedback from the rest of you. So until we get a few more posts here, this is it for me (except to read, of course).

And as for your Rep, BigDog, you are now a 'glorious beacon of light' instead of 'just really nice'. How's that for positive affirmation?