Science Forums

Honesty is the best policy?

otcartsid

Yes, its why sleep deprivation works in interrogation. It does use more energy, so its actually good for inducing weight loss! Ever notice how the most evil people are mostly thin? Exceptions are true sociopaths like Jabba the Hut who love to lie and have no trouble doing it.

Now none of this is really related to your subject line: Polite lies are a good thing. If I were to ask you "does this dress make me look fat?" you would be best to say "no of course not!" White lies are actually a form of good manners, but of course must be handled delicately....

Prevaricatingly,

Buffy

Do you think it's true that people are more honest when they are tired? If this is true does this mean that it takes energy to lie? put up a front, etc?
Drugs like sodium pentathol work to sedate the mind so it's more difficult to fabricate or recall a fabrication.

"What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive" Marmion, Sir Walter Scott

If I were to ask you "does this dress make me look fat?" you would be best to say "no of course not!"

You mean you are not supposed to say "It has nothing to do with the dress."

Yes, it is harder to lie when you are tired. The real answer to a question is always the easiest to give. Your brain tries to answer questions correctly, when it does not you are considered "mentally ill". To reject the truth and think up a lie means you have to stop, think and act - thus energy. The truth is simply a reflex.

Some people lie pathologically. This is because they have been conditioned to avoid the truth. There are many reasons for this, but they become very efficient liers becasue they practice it constantly and it becomes a habit. With those people it can be more difficult to tell the truth than to lie because they build a dependancy on the process of lying. It is very tricky. But they are the exception to the rule.

Bill

usually i can tell when people are being dishnest to me simply by looking them in the eyes. sometimes, if somebody is lying to you and you look them directly in the eyes they cannot look in yours, or they turn away or smile, or any combination of the latter. its all about the energy that we give off, and someone has the really control their energy to decieve someone who looks them directly in the eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

You mean you are not supposed to say "It has nothing to do with the dress."

That was exactly what I was thinking as I read Buffy's post... well, that and "Sarah Michelle Gellar must do a heck of a lot of lying!"

Yes, it is harder to lie when you are tired. The real answer to a question is always the easiest to give. Your brain tries to answer questions correctly, when it does not you are considered "mentally ill". To reject the truth and think up a lie means you have to stop, think and act - thus energy. The truth is simply a reflex.

That, and lying requires higher executive function, primarily a controlling input from the pre-frontal cortex (that's where we do math and such). As we get more and more fatigued, only the areas that truly require energy receive it (aka, survival functions and inner brain regulatory stuff). As the energy supply to the brain diminishes, it's the higher levels of cortex that get shut off first. Same as when there is substantial injury or trauma. The body focusses all it's energy to breathing and pumping blood since there's not a whole lot of need to ask what infinity x zero is when you're trying to heal a significant wound or trauma. This is all an evolved mechanism...those who had it survived, and it translates to fatigue the same way.

Lying, for those who know they are lying, also creates what's called dissonance in the mind, generally something we try to avoid (like hunger). Cognitive dissonance is not generally applied in this context though.

usually i can tell when people are being dishnest to me simply by looking them in the eyes. sometimes, if somebody is lying to you and you look them directly in the eyes they cannot look in yours, or they turn away or smile, or any combination of the latter. its all about the energy that we give off, and someone has the really control their energy to decieve someone who looks them directly in the eyes.

This works unless the person telling the lie has convinced themselves it's the truth. If they believe it, they will have no trouble supporting what they say and looking at you in the eye while they do it. If they are actively trying to lie to you, and do not believe what they are saying, then the whole eye thing works better, but breaks down if someone is well practiced and lies all the time.

hmm yeah that was one problem...the thing is, if someone is telling me something that isnt the truth, if they truely believe it then are they really lying

?

is that fair? i dont think so, becuase quite clearly they simply dont know any better. i may take that oppertunityto educate them with the knowlege that i posess and they do not, but its just hard for me to call that a lie.

hmm yeah that was one problem...the thing is, if someone is telling me something that isnt the truth, if they truely believe it then are they really lying

?

is that fair? i dont think so, becuase quite clearly they simply dont know any better. i may take that oppertunityto educate them with the knowlege that i posess and they do not, but its just hard for me to call that a lie.

That's an excellent excellent point, tartanism. I was more following BigDog's logic about them being manipulative and somewhat mentally ill, but how does one distinguish it if they truly believe what they are saying and not just going all CIA on you?

That's a tough call. It reminds me of much of the debate with religion and science. We hold to our positions so strongly because we think it's the truth.

Great point. :lol: