Science Forums

Oil Cooled PC

I'm curious... does the oil need to be changed... like every 3,000 computations or after 6 months or something? I know when we fry food with oil, it changes in composition and must be replaced, and likewise in our vehicles little fragments of junk build up and the oil needs to be replaced to ensure proper viscosity...

But, since this is being used as a heat sink, would it ever require changing (based on what you know about the process)???

I'm curious... does the oil need to be changed... ??

{ahem!} not having any REAL oil, or a spare PC, I built a "virtually simulated" Oil-PC in my patent pending Sim/Sim. This is an advanced application of my own design that doesn't just simulate 'things' (that's easy), but simulates 'simulations' of things (very hard).

My "virtually simulated" Oil-PC ran for 831 million 'virtual' years without any significant problems. I did have to go in once and skim off the poly-unsaturateds that accumulated in a disgusting 'skin' on the top. And I added one drop of "virtually simulated" Balsamic Vinegar to suppress algae.

But then I noticed that there was a build-up of some other contaminant. Logical Leakage. Ones and Zeros that normally went to the "bit bucket" were now seen to be floating around in the oil. Of course, I had to build a "virtually simulated" electron microscope to see them.

Over the course of the next 'virtual' half billion years, these ones and zeros combined to form 'virtual' ideas, thoughts and (eventually) opinions. This morning at 3:35 am, my "virtually simulated" Oil-PC demanded membership in the United Nations.

I was getting REALLY tired by then, so I pulled the plug on it. After a two hour nap, I used some of the oil to make pancakes. YUMMMMmmmm... :lol:

So, would the oil require changing?
Oh I imagine so, but synthetic would last longer, and I'd undercut the manufacturer's recomendation by 30% and stick with Fram filters.

You think that puppy is noisy now with the air fans, imagine what that oil pump is gonna sound like...especially connected to the V8 you'll have to fit in the box...

Vrrroooom,

Buffy

i wonder if canola oil would be better for the pc then sunflower oil, what about the difference between running virgin vs extra virgin olive oil, would there be much difference? except in flavor? what about using the real bad stuff used to fry fries in MKDs, would the computer die from a hearattack? has anyone considered alternatives to oil, coffee, or perhaps grey goose on the rocks with a splash of cranberry juice on top?, and whether adding fish fat and vitamins and minerals to the oil would make your computer more resistant to viruses and sleeping your computer for 9 hours a day more prone to detect and fight attacks....

also yeah it would definitely need changing, oil does go bad in a not fully enclosed and airtight environment, stuff will start growing in it (bacteria and whatnot), so i would definitely assume that you would need to change the oil every now and then, but wont even start to try to predict exactly the amount of time between servicing it the box again...

Probably peanut oil would be good. Has a higher smoke-point than most others. Not sure about sunflower oil, but that's a nut too, so there's potential. And even though the smoke-point of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) is so low, why would one waste such a beautiful product... or, fruit-of-our-labor :confused: , to cool a PC?