Science Forums

Travel to Mars in three hours?

armofreek

I really, really WANT this theory to be valid and true. I've been reading SF since I was 10 ("Space Cat Goes to Mars") and by the age of 14 understood that the speed of light © was lousing up the whole interplanetary travel deal.

Robert A. Heinlein pointed ("Have Space Suit, Will Travel") out that if you accelerated at a constant 1G, then Mars was only 2 to 4 weeks away from Earth. depending on orbital configurations. (Accelerate half time, decelerate the rest) At 3G, about the maximum acceleration that Humans can put up with for extended periods, trips to Saturn or Jupiter could be made in weeks.

But alas, travel to the stars was "forbidden". Damn! :hihi:

But if THIS dude is right, the stars are ours for the asking. Assuming you can build a field coil large enough, power it with enough giga-amps at 100 giga-volts, and spin an armature at speeds requiring it to be built entirely out of Buckminsterene "polycarbon" fibers capable of handling 100's of 1000's of Gs. Mere technology. Just a matter of engineering. (JAMOE) Use virgin olive oil for lubricant.

I wanna go. One-way ticket will be accepted. But ONLY if this dude is right. Pray for eight dimensions. Amen.

Pyrotex, I share your enthusiasm, and might also be prepared to sign up for a one way trip. You don't snore do you?

However, if the theory is valid, and the engineering problems are overcome, and all of this is achieved by a group of balding primates only a few million years after dropping out of the trees, then we are left with Fermi's question: where is everyone?

Armofreek, aluminium is very effective at absorbing radiation. Were you thinking of that?

Pyrotex, I share your enthusiasm, and might also be prepared to sign up for a one way trip. You don't snore do you?

However, if the theory is valid, and the engineering problems are overcome, and all of this is achieved by a group of balding primates only a few million years after dropping out of the trees, then we are left with Fermi's question: where is everyone?

I do not snore as long as I don't sleep on my back.

Fermi: Being the FIRST is a dirty job, but SOMEONE has to do it!! :hihi:

Armofreek, aluminium is very effective at absorbing radiation. Were you thinking of that?

Oddly enough, if the Chronology Protection Conjecture is true (see Matt Visser) then by nessecity you would encounter all alien species at the exact same "time" in their evolution.

Tough to explain, but the see the Orion's Arm webpage for me detail.

As per hyperdrive - to ME Heim Theory (upon which this is based) seems pretty possible, but I don't think it's going to let you go FTL, because it STILL has causality problems. (No universal reference frame, no CPC)

Time, and relativity, chase us all down eventually.

TFS

edit: Although you could argue that the "metronic matrix" or lattice or whatever of heim-space represents a universal "at rest" and thus a universal RF. But that's just aether in quantum clothing

Burkhard Heim began to explore the hyperdrive propulsion concept in the 1950s as a spin-off from his attempts to heal the biggest divide in physics: the rift between quantum mechanics and Einstein's general theory of relativity.

any more information on Heim or his theory? sounds interesting.

i vaguely recall reading before that people have made these devices, i always thought it was bullshit. an intense electromagnetic field made by that coil, and it suddenly starts to float?

• 2 weeks later...
any more information on Heim or his theory? sounds interesting.

i vaguely recall reading before that people have made these devices, i always thought it was bullshit. an intense electromagnetic field made by that coil, and it suddenly starts to float?

Unfortunatley Heim's work is very un-known due to him becoming a recluse in life after losing his forearms in an explosion near the end of WWII in a lab. He main theories was also fantasticaly long and complicated with many printing companies refusing to produce it.... :rainbow: Infact, many 'top' scientists today still struggle to fully understand Hermi's calculations and theories, so far ahead was he.

Here's a link for some info on him and his work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burkhard_Heim

My own opinion is that he potentialy could've been one of the greatest minds the last century saw (along with Tesla).

How many years after Tesla's death until his work on AC was finally acknowleged and the 'superstitions' created by edison to promote his own DC finally proven wrong.

....I say lets see what happens when we generate 50 tesla's and focus it on fastly rotating ring....

P.S. Hello! please excuse any spelling/grammer mistakes. I'm an idiot.. it's hard to cure.

I just so happens I was working on a design to multiply velocity of matter on a moving object. In a sense to try and double the available kinetic energy of moving matter.

Here is a very simple example of the concept.

We have a ring. About 1M in diameter. We are looking at it from the angle that it looks like perfect circle standing up in front of us. We hold this sphere at two points on opposite sides of the ring with low friction, or even magnetic like hands to hold the ring off the ground. Now we begin to sping the ring clockwise (or counter-clockwise dont matter) and spin it very fast. Now we can agree this ring contains usable accessable kinetic energy. But here is where we add move distance for the matter to cover. We engage a secondary function of the device which begins to start flipping the ring end over end. So from our view point the bottom of the ring will come towards us and the top of the ring will spin away from us, on these two pivot point on either side of the ring, at the center height. Now the atoms in the ring are not just covering a distance of the circumfrance of the ring. They are now taking on a spherical path which only ADDS velocity to the atoms without increasing mass or parts of the device.

Now with the correct configuration, we could take this ring which is flipping both end over and, and spinning wheel like, and put it inside a secondary outter similar device which is the same thing but only just big enough to allow it to spin and flip all in the opposite directions around the inner ring. So we have two rings flipping end over end and spinning, to achieve most possible kinetic energy out of one body, but they are now interacting in opposite directions with magnetic field power .. like an electrical engine, so now the interactions of these two rings is doubled and doubled.

If you have seen the device on that movie "Contact" it would look very similar to this.. but this idea came no where from the movie..

I wonder if this would help out the hyperdrive fellows?

I though it was a coincidence that I have been thinking of what sounds like a similar design to their concept.