Science Forums

Society shaves

Queso

ok so why do girls shave their legs?

and their armpits?

and their vaginal regions?

is it because we have clothes now? and do not need natural warmth??

doesnt it annoy you girls to death having to shave all the time??

and whats up with GUYS shaving all of that stuff?

this society is so weird.

hair is fun and warm

am i the only guy left on planet earth that still finds a hairy woman sexy?

ok ok ok

its obvious they do it because they think it looks good

because they see everyone else doing it

like on television

so the Males are used to it

and have it set in their minds that HAIR IS GROSS SHAVE IT

its funny! all of this is somehow leading up to our next evolutionary stage!

the neo humans!

WE WILL EVOLVE

A certain amount of hair on a man is sexy and masculine. However, nose hair, back hair, and hairs growing out of ears should go, IMO.

For me, leg and underarm hair is ...well...gross. I just don't feel clean.

As far as the pubic region, it's all about sensitivity for me. Shaving the lower V area feels great and increases the sensitivity about 50%!!

Been thinking about this for awhile, now.

And the only thing I can come up with, is that hair is a vestigal remnant of our hairy, arboreal past.

We keep hair under our armpits and pubic areas in order to increase the surface area from where pheromones can take flight.

It's all about sex.

I can honestly think of no other reason.

But, to agree with allmighty GAHD, I don't like hair in my teeth, either.

GO, GILLETTE!!!

and their vaginal regions?

What girls do you hang out with? And where can I meet them?

Actually, if I remember correctly, the whole "shaving" thing is a relatively recent invention of people designed to sell you crap - kinda like Valentine's Day. Around the 1920's or so, when semi-sheer dresses became popular, the armpit hair became objectionable (and it would, if you consider what a big mop of sweaty hair would look like hanging out of a sheer, sleeveless light dress.) Sears and Roebuck started putting ladies razors in the catalog around this time. So that's why girls shave their pits. Since it's never been really appropriate for "professional" men to go sleeveless, then never picked up the habit.

The leg thing is a little more complicated. There a urban semi-legend that says that women started shaving their legs around WWII because the material for stockings was being used for parachutes, and shaving them was more economical. They also used to draw a little "seam" up the back of their legs. I don't know about that though, seems a little far fetched.

That and hair in teeth is grody. And stinky.

TFS

The leg thing is a little more complicated. There a urban semi-legend that says that women started shaving their legs around WWII because the material for stockings was being used for parachutes, and shaving them was more economical. They also used to draw a little "seam" up the back of their legs. I don't know about that though, seems a little far fetched.
Exposure sure provided a reason to shave, but you're obviously not a girl if you think its even possible to put hose on over hair. If you guys want us to wear short skirts, we gotta have our hose, and that curses us to shaving them forever...

The seam story is true. My grandma did it...

Hair and teeth are a big issue, even for us girls (a hint to you guys,,, :) )

Anti-Hirsuteness League,

Buffy

When people are on the prowl for action, they want it known. So they do things that they think will be successful. Smooth skin on women is successful. I guess we can thank our ancestors.

Of course women shaving has not always been the case. What do you call a Roman with hair in his teeth? Gladiator.

Bill

I believe it is a way to get away from our more animal side. We see other mammals running around in nothing but their fur, and we think, "Wow! We must have really evolved! Just look at my clothes!" Then, when we do look down, we see our own remnants of fur, or body hair, and we become disgusted. Since women usually give more time to their appearance, they chose to do something about it. And I am not talking about facial hair, that has been shaved, cut, twirled, and no one knows what else, since the Dark Ages. I have no reason for it. None. Funny, isn't it, how everyone automatically thinks of female's legs instead of a man's face when we bring up shaving? Hmm....