Science Forums

Giving up smoking is for quitters!

Boerseun

Well, then I'm a quitter! :cup:

I've been trying to quit for ages. The first of January is D-Day!

I've got myself a box of cigars (vanilla flavoured), and me and a few buddies are quitting at exactly midnight on New Year's eve, having a cigar each.

I've decided this a few months ago, but with all the festivities, birthdays, parties and such that was scheduled in the last few months made quitting impossible. I'm actually lookin' forward to this!

Who's joining me?

Lemme have a last one, though...:shrug:

good for you man!

i think it is so disgusting-----the chemicals they put in corporate manufactured cigarettes.

i have an idea for you.

when you are just craving it like mad, and you want to smoke a death stick, YOU NEED TO NOW-

wait, dont!

buy some flavored tabacco from an arabic bazaar

and if you can afford it, buy a cheap standard hookah too

pack a bowl of your desired flavor (i like vanilla, and mint. but everybody is different)

wrap the bowl in tin foil

poke holes in the tin foil

(buy self lighting coals at the bazaar while youre at it)

light 1 or 2 coals (depending on how hard you want the hookah to hit) and put them on the tin foil

sit back with your buddies, and enjoy the exotic smoke of the hookah!

yes, there is nicotine in this tobacco, but not nearly the ammount in Cigarettes.

also, you wont find any disgusting addictive chemicals (well, i guess nicotine is one) in this packaged, sticky, flavored tobacco.

eh, its an idea.

its what me and my friends do.

its fun! social! exotic! relieving! and you get so light-headed and relaxed.

and used in sparatic intervals, it will ease the cravings :shrug:

have a l@@K: http://www.hookah-shisha.com/

Well, then I'm a quitter! :shrug:

I've got myself a box of cigars (vanilla flavoured), and me and a few buddies are quitting at exactly midnight on New Year's eve, having a cigar each.

I've decided this a few months ago, but with all the festivities, birthdays, parties and such that was scheduled in the last few months made quitting impossible. I'm actually lookin' forward to this!

Good luck. I've got 2 days to go to hit the 5 year mark since I quit :cup:

Good luck. I've got 2 days to go to hit the 5 year mark since I quit :cup:

Thanks!

Quitting isn't all that hard, actually. I've done it twenty times already!:cup:

Well, seriously, now - I think it's a lot easier (or should that be less difficult?) when you do it with friends. Have a kind of a support group thingy going.

So - any other smokers joining?

PS - Thanks, Orby - will keep the advice in mind!

PPS - Another thing - I've decided to quit drinking as well, until I'm over the cravings. 'Cause I know I won't be able to resist a cig when I'm having a few...:shrug:

...until I'm over the cravings.

Do understand that it means learning to live with the cravings because they never go away. It's been 5 years for me and I could suck down a smoke from here to the other side of town if I let my current craving rule.. For me the cravings are just a part of life now that I'm used to them.

I once knew a guy who quitted very much permanently.

He tried for years, and always started up again soon enough. So, eventually he decided to go about it in a more scientific way.

He was a travelling salesman, always on the road. And he decided that he'll only have a smoke when he sees roadkill. And only after he stopped his car, and got out, and smoke right next to the roadkill.

He managed this for about two days.

Up to this day (he says), the thought of having a cigarette makes him want to puke.

He created a mental association with cigarettes that was stronger than the physical addiction, and it seems like it worked like a charm! He's been off cigs for more than eight years now.

Sounds a bit drastic, but hey - it works!

(Don't think I want to quit that bad, though...)

Hey guys, you all hang in there! Smoking really isn't worth the expense and health risks. My parents stopped smoking almost 15 years ago, and they haven't had a single cigarette since.

Maybe all of you who are quitting could use this thread to report on your progress, and it can also be your support group. Good luck!

Well, then I'm a quitter! :)

Who's joining me?

Lemme have a last one, though...:)

I quite smoking everything a year and a half ago, cold-turkey.

Coldcreation

Day two...

Not as hard as I expected (yet, probably).

I've found if I keep busy and don't sit around for five munites, i don't think about smoking.

Apparently broken and damaged cilia start growing back after 24 hours of not smoking, so pretty soon my smoker's hack will turn into a proper cough, and then disappear altogether.

I have cilia growing in me lungs!