Science Forums

Turning off MSN Messenger

Getting rid of Windows messenger: (I only know this for XP it might be different for other OS's)

If you go into control panel and click "Add/Remove Programs"

Then on the left you will see "Add/Remove Windows Components" - click it

At the bottom of the list it will say Windows Messenger. Continue with the instructions given.

Hope this helps:)

Getting rid of Windows messenger: (I only know this for XP it might be different for other OS's)

If you go into control panel and click "Add/Remove Programs"

Then on the left you will see "Add/Remove Windows Components" - click it

At the bottom of the list it will say Windows Messenger. Continue with the instructions given.

Hope this helps:)

This guy nailed it... Also do this for various MSN stuff.

Mel, other OSes dont have MSN messenger because there is a gazillion other ones that work about 1000000 times better, faster and do all the same things that MSN messenger does, you must be referring to other versions of windows, not OS's...

And yeah, I doubt M$ ports their stuff to other OS's for that very reason.

Actually windows messenger is a service that can be shut off via the following

winkey+R, type "services.msc" and disable the service labeled messenger. Windows XP pro comes with messenger disabled by default.

If you are talking about MSN messenger, why'd you install it in the first place. If you say that it was preinstalled, I never keep a preinstalled OS. I always wipe it out and do a fresh install. I hate all the preloaded crap and malware that every mainstream computer manufacturere is pre-pakaging with their systems, but hey it saves you and me money when we buy those systems.

Yes and no.

Windows messenger comes with every versionof windows as far back as 95se I think. it uses the same chat network MSN does but 'can' use a local server for inter-office communication.

MSN Messenger is Micro Soft Network exclusive, and has all the extra bells and whistles (like 'winks' and now 'voice clips') that makes chatting 'fun'. All in all they're almost the same program, but not quite.

to continue your thought cwes...

So naturally that meanst it stinks, let me explain:

MSN has already provided 3-4 doors into systems, it sometimes crashes for no reason, its updates, this makes me mad the most, just like windows updates, well, that's where MSN updates actually come in, require a restart, which is crazy because you are simply updating software, it is very much embedded into windows... all in all, it blows like the rest of MS products, if you need a good IM client, just run Gaim....