Science Forums

Turning off MSN Messenger

Or rather than bang your head against the wall with all these specialized IM products that so many people use that allow you to be online with multiple clients (aim, yahoo, icq, msn) at the same time through one window, just choose one client, like AIM or Yahoo. Personally I've tried a great many of them and AIM is still the best for me, but then that's because all of my friends have AIM accounts.

Funny thing is that AOL paired with Google is becoming as evil as MS. Can just see them sitting in the cold rubbing their hands together waiting to take over hell. :shrug: JK.

LOL cwes, i had a good kick out of it, not against favorites or anything, but of all things, AIM?....

I really dont like IM clients for single protocols, although i mainly use the AOL account, still, i dont like them, especially MSN and AIM, both mainly for the same reason: they both contribute to much malware (spyware and viruses and stuff) on the net, they are written to attempt to bypass security rules on the network (port hopping, as well as a good 2 dozen servers they connect to), and contain much flaws to be considered a safe service to run on an internal network in any large company, and they are proprietary products, so if you were to find a flaw, you could never fix it (and MSN gets waay to embedded into the system for a piece of insignifficant software like that)... I have many friends with AOL accounts, one, has 2, 1 filed up to the max with names (i think the limit is around 300 names or so) and one at about 1/2 of that, and he would not in a million years use AIM, for much the same reasons i posted above. AIM has posts to both OS X and Linux, yet of hundreds of people that use linux that i know, none actually run it, and I am yet to meet a person who, otside of just beeing too GUIicious, consider GAIM a bad IM client. It does everything that AIM does, file transfers and everything, and it supports MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, SILC, as well as straight IRC, yet it's not too resource hungry, completely free and open, and looks better then aim and is better documented...

dont beleive me? http://gaim.sourceforge.net

Ok, I might have to take a look at GAIM, but honestly I have never had AIM suck my resources dry. BTW, I use an old version of AIM. I've always worried a bit that somewhere in the back of my mind they'll change a server somewhere and I'll no longer be able to connect to the service.

But then I can always just walk away from it anyway. I really only use it to keep in contact with a few family members and a couple of the old college buddies who I still play some online games with.

umm, that would meant that you pay attention to your processor usage when your system is idling...

And I'm sure you have experienced it, its a feature of windows, it says that on the front cover of a windows package, check it out, it says "Microsoft", what else do you pay for, if its not the unnecessary obfuscation, code bloating, untimely resource consumption, memory leaks, error messages that dont make sense, random crashes... Microsoft had to invent something for a change...so Billy and his friend sat around a camp fire, singing "cumbaya", and not making smores, high, like he is in so many of his younger pictures, and they decided that they would come up with the concept of really crappy code and will market it, everything else, concept of windows, the office suit, paint... they stole from others! (I would argue that DOS isnt much of an invention, there has been commandline-based OSes before it that were a million times more powerful, and Linux was written in 91... so)