Science Forums

Mushrooms effects ( i didn't know where to put this)

inside the sun

Note: while discussing this is perfectly fine, linking to such questionable websites is not; it could get the hypography community in trouble(sice we're hosted In the US...), and nobody wants that to happen. Kindly edit the posts with those links.

Thanks dudes.

I definately agree with orb on how "the government doesn't want us to think for ouselves... so that the government can keep control" infact, I think I was the one who originally sprouted that idea in orb's mind.

But anyways, I'm sure the government does numerous top secret experiments on entheogenic drugs... and they have probably realized that these drugs expand consciousness to the point of no longer wanting to live under such restrictions and rules. I find that when I am on an entheogen (especially LSD) I get an incredible urge to resist conformity... I figured this out when I did LSD with 2 of my friends... and we ended up having 6 sober people go with us to a park. And I noticed that me and the 2 other people on LSD, didn't feel the need to be near "the group". We were constantly running from the sober people. It just felt weird when they all gathered around me and would look in the exact same direction at the exact same time... they were all huddled together... and working things out together. I dunno why, but this creeped me out. I felt like being left alone.

Anyways, the government sucks. But they are definately doing a wonderful job of keeping control.

why is it illegal than! has the government or anyone provided us with any real answer?

Do the huge tobacco and alcohol lobbies want you to be able to grow a more potent and less addictive alternative to their products right in your backyard, for free? The government cannot collect taxes on anything you produce yourself, either. The chances of legalization, or even decriminalization, are rather slim. Too much money is being made.

• 2 years later...

Magic mushrooms really cause 'spiritual' experiences

* 05:01 11 July 2006

* NewScientist.com news service

* Roxanne Khamsi

OTHER LINKS/STORIES:-

* The word: Magic mushroom

* 03 June 2006

* Magic mushrooms given away by a glow

* 03 February 2006

* Psychedelic medicine: Mind bending, health giving

* 26 February 2005

* Commonly abused drugs, NIDA

* Psilocybin and Psilocyn and other Tryptamines

* Roland Griffiths, Johns Hopkins University

* Psychopharmacology

“Magic” mushrooms really do have a spiritual effect on people, according to the most rigorous look yet at this aspect of the fungus's active ingredient.

About one-third of volunteers in the carefully controlled new study had a “complete” mystical experience after taking psilocybin, with half of them describing their encounter as the single most spiritually significant experience in their lifetimes.

However, psilocybin use has been associated with side effects such as severe paranoia, nervousness and unwanted flashbacks and so experts warn against experimentation. “Once you’ve started down the path, you might not like where it ends,” comments Herbert Kleber, a psychiatrist at Columbia University in New York, US. “These are powerful agents that are just as likely to do harm as to do good.”

Magic mushrooms really cause 'spiritual' experiences - drugs-alcohol - 11 July 2006 - New Scientist

• 1 month later...

Spiritual huh.

In the 80's we got the headline 'Satanic Cult In Sand Dunes' in the newspapers.

It was just a bunch of young people camping close to mushroom fields, put some sheep skulls they found on poles... hehe.

One thing we used to say - don't pick the Jesus mushrooms. A few people had found Jesus while eating psilocybe cubensis.

They're not really that creative, you think of a thousand things yes, but try to write it down, gibberish. I've got stuff I forced myself to write under the influence several times and people read it and say - I don't get it.

The greatest stories ever told

were unable to be written down

those chinese whispers lost in time

spores fallen to the ground.

If this is the study I think it is, the subjects were all middle aged and had a professed interest in spiritual matters. I dont find the results significant.

OK Whatever you say!

How come you are so defensive about it?

Have you read anything about the ethnobotanical uses of mushrooms?

R. Gordon Wasson is good if you can find him. EG Persephone's Quest: Entheogens and the Origins of Religion

Many of his books are collectors items now. He was a NY banker- a long way from hippydom.

as far as them being dangerous i have not seeing ANY reports, studies or anything other than gossip to relate mushrooms to any *physical* ill effects. There does seem to be many possible mental side effects, but this seems mostly dependant on the person eating them! it seems to affect everyone different and i would think that if you are a more anxiouse/depressed or stressed otu type of person, you are more likely to have issues with them. because it distorts perception it is dangerous, as is any drug that distorts your senses.

remember the recent event in Holland with the girl who commited suicide? there was nothing physically bad with what she ate, but because she was said to be a troubled person (unfortunately) and ate them, it was mentaly very dangerous for her. This is the same for many substances...legal or not. my step father has parkinsons and he went in for some experimental treatments. one of the medications he took made him incredibly angry and pissed off! this medication mixed with his mind frame and did not work well either, fortunately he was in a hospital under supervision.

i would like to also mention legality. In the US and canada anyway (except a few states) the possession of spores is perfectly legal. The spores contain no tryptamines, therefor they are legal (for microscopy/research). but after they germinate you can get in trouble as teh mycelium does contain tryptamines.

i am not sure about current law in the USA, but even cultivation was (past tense) technically legal of Psilocybe mushrooms. You were not allowed to have them picked, dried or stored in any way shape or form other than living growing fungi. Seen as there are many hallucinogenic species in the genus spanning much of the world it is hard to call it outright illegal as it probably grows near most of you anyway.

When i would go pick chantrelles in the clear cuts i would aften find Psilocybe pelliculosa and sometimes Psilocybe cyanescens growing on the dead wood (both powerfully hallucinogenic species). Fields would often yeild large amounts of Psilocybe semilanceata (liberty caps). where i am from on Vancouver Island BC Canada many of the indians would use liberty caps...i am not sure if it was anything more than what white people used them for though. But given the circumstances it is very hard to stop people from eating these.....there are MANY species in a few genera that are utilized as hallucinogenic tools. All these species cover a surprisingly LARGE percent of the globe!

P. cubensis alone is found everywhere sub tropical, from USA to south america, and even here in Taiwan i have found some.