Science Forums

Humans' internal chemistry is Amazing!!

Racoon

I am an extremely restless sleeper. So much so that my heart rate is higher when I am sleeping than when I am awake and at rest. If I sleep to long I wake up exhausted and spent. Sometimes I wake up in a sweat and think to myself that I couldn't have slept for another minute without collapsing. I am so tired.

Bill

Racoon,just Google Krebs cycle. you'll see more diagrams than you can possibly need.. you might also pick up some biochemistry textbooks, some may be solely about the cycle. as you get deeper into the wonder of this, you may learn at least a couple of important things:

1. different herbs and medications work differently on different people.

2. claiming an herb that contains certain chemicals will produce a predictable result can lead to unpleasant results.

3. herbs contain not only the active ingredient, but may also contain other ingredients with undesirable side effects.

4. this is the purpose of the FDA. to examine active ingredients to determine efficacy and umfavorable side effects.

5. don't believe all the claims made by the heath food industry.

you may be interested in this article:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pms.htm

1. different herbs and medications work differently on different people.

That could mean either that people are different. Take my word, they are!!! or that the same herb from different sources can be different. Did any one ever suspect that.

3. herbs contain not only the active ingredient, but may also contain other ingredients with undesirable side effects.

When do we start believing in the effect of groups and mobs. The same society or mob reacts differently in different situations at different points of time.

My belief: There are no absolutes, no ultimates and no similarities for all at all times.:)

• 1 month later...

Don't know whether this is true or not, but I read about British Marines receiving a few cans of asparagus in their survival kits in WWII. When they're stranded on some remote beach somewhere awaiting rescue, they eat the asparagus and then pee in the surf an hour or so later - armed with their fishing lines. Apparently asparagus in your urine is irresistable to fish! ...or so the story goes.