Science Forums

Is being young and really smart make you a genius?

CD27

wow, i just read this entire thread. And i must say....extremely entertaining. anybody who thinks they are a genius, will probably never be one. arrogance is like standing on a brick wall, with a brick wall on the other side, and all of your wonderful supporters standing gleefully underneath you. *sigh

CD,

Don't worry about FT, he may be harsh as you say and bark loud. Though his bark is worse than his bite.

:hyper: However, I might have said more like Tormod. It would be better for you to be the best that you

can be of you rather than some copy of to whom you aspire. It's kinda' fake anyway. People don't like

fake.

Myself, I was studying Einstein at 13 and reading from my older brothers college science books as well. I

am not able to claim that makes me genius. I fell short on Mensa tests. :( However, I do pretty good. It

is more important what you have a passion for and do that.

A journey is taken by the first step. And if not taken you will not regret it as much until the end of your

days. Good fortune. :D

And if you compare your sci-fi with ... (*struggling to remember any women here, my

bad*) then I would certainly like to read them. See, we all have different opinions on what is hot and

what is not.

[Tormod -- Try Ursula LeGuin, she is real good!]

Maddog

I confess I only read a few lines of the first post; it's sufficient to respond. Genius is a relative term & there is some consensus these days that Einstein & Newton may have had Asperger's Syndrome (Google it gang). It is a form of autism which is characterized by among other symptoms, a high ability in math/art/abstraction, allergy to foods. slight clumsiness. poor social skills, depression, & rather average childhood intelligence. In a word, savants.

...that Einstein & Newton may have had Asperger's Syndrome (Google it gang). It is a form of autism which is characterized by among other symptoms, a high ability in math/art/abstraction, allergy to foods. slight clumsiness. poor social skills, depression, & rather average childhood intelligence. In a word, savants.

I heard the same thing after I was diagnosed with Asperger's, and the list is fairly large as I remember (I'll post again in a couple hours once I get motivated to look for the documents I received). I can vouch for most of the symptoms you mentioned except for the food allergies, which I am thankful for. You forgot one which is the most noticable to myself, "Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities." That is a quote from the Online Aspergers Syndrome Information and Support website.

Bah, the paper work I had has been thrown out. I'm sure if you google Asperger's you will find a few dozen names of famous people suspected to have it.

Thanks to Turtle and Killean on your last post. I got a report from a doctor I had gone to see whom I

had gotton a brain scan. In his diagnosis was mentioned mild Asberger's syndrome. Untill Turtle

mentioned those list of symptoms, I never thought of myself as having this or any kind of Autism like

condition. I just thought I was different growing up. I did take the test on the link gave Killean which

calculated me at 21. Since they had made the threshold at 32, I guess mild is the word.

I knew I have always had a lot in common with Einstein. He and I both flunked their first Algebra class.

In 5th grade I took an acheivement test that in 7th grade I learned I had a 10th grade aptitude in math.

Why I learned in 7th grade was as I was listening to the counselor who would tell how I had done on

any of these tests, that I read the scores upside down in front her. It was then I remembered teaching

myself to read upside down or in a mirror at 3rd grade.

Yes, I have always been a bit clumsy. a bit melancholy not real depression at times, talent for

abstraction, no food allergies though I am alergic to two specific weed pollens. I can be charming in

meeting new people,

it is poor social skills in meeting people in romantic encounters (opposite gender) that I often produce. :hyper:

Kind-of almost like slapstick sometimes only I working at chic and exhibit chicless. Oops!

I just never knew they had a name for it. Hmmm... :D

Maddog

Yep.. you got it. There's a lot 'o thin green stalks in this bunch. As I understand, Aspergers wasn't placed in the medical literature as a valid disorder until 1996. I only found out about it in July after ten years with clinical depression. It doesn't change much as they only can really treat some of the symptons, but I finally understand not only what my limitations are, but why I'm saddled with them. The fact be known, this knowledge led me to start posting here. I don't have to go out, I can pull into my shell if I'm threatened, & I can share my discoveries broadley. Yes, I used to think I was a genius; I'm not. I am a svavant. Gotta make the best of the hand your dealt. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

How do you define a genius?

A genius is someone that is good at maths, science and able to solve annoying trig problems, that I am unable to do, when they are 5? Or is a geniuns someone with a photographic memory that can remember whole passages of texts and highly annoying formulars?

It takes me 2 hours to do trig maths questions, whereas the average time for for class might be 1. However I can probably paint a picture better than most of them and another person in the class might be a wiz in music but hopeless at physics. Ask a 'genius' 5 year old about metaphysics, I would almost bet my house (though I don't own one) that your average blue collor man would give a more insightful answer.

Does that make any of us a 'genius' or 'dumb'?

I have friends who find basic maths challenging and friends who have skipped grades. Yet I see them shine in their own way. We value what we are good at and what each other is good at. Finishing that trig question in 5 minutes its very admirable, yet with persistence I managed to finish it too. Along the way I learnt how to better manage my anger and how caffine has minimal effects on me. I admire those of my friends who can paint amazing pictures and those who gets top scores in exams. Does that make me less 'smart'?

In my opinion it doesn't. 'genius' is not something you can line everyone up and measure with a ruler. You can't lable a person a genius and other a incomptenet fool. One, who are you to judge? Two what are you basing your judgments on? After all science and maths are only two areas out of zillions.

'Genius' is a word used too much in association with instant 'smartness'. It's described like a disease, you have it or you don't. Where has the hardwork gone? or have they developed a pill for instant IQ boost? Newton didn't propose his various Laws overnight. I know about the apple on the head, but was that it? Was he able to write and prove however many laws he is now acredited with? The same goes for Einstein. Thomas Edison once said (i think)- 'Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration.'

So for now I am quite happy to call everyone a genius if they so wish, but I feel more at easy telling every they are special and should strive for their best. After all accomplish something important to yourself is more rewarding than to be called a genius. ^^