Science Forums

Perfect Numbers: An Aural Dissertation

Turtle

one___adjective. 1. Designating a single entity, unit, object, or being. 2. Characterized by unity; of a single kind or nature; undivided. 3. Designating a person or thing that is contrasted with another or others. 4. Designating a specified but indefinate thing or time. 5. a. Designating a certain person,

especially a person not previously known or mentioned. b. Designating an indefinate time or occassion. 6. A or an. Used informally as a substitute for the indefinate article for emphasis. 7. Single in kind; alike or the same. 8. Being unique of a specified or implied kind.

___noun. 1. a. The first cardinal number; the first positive whole number after zero. b. A symbol representing this such as 1, I, or i. 2. A size or thing designated as one. 3. A single person or thing; a unit. 4. The first in a series. 5. A one dollar bill or coin. b. One hour after midnight or noon. 7. British Informal. A humorous or jocular person. 8. -a rightone. British Informal. A fool or nuisance.

___Pronoun. 1. A certain person or thing; someone or something. 2. Any person or thing; anyone or anything. 3. a. Any person representing the same, usually priviledged social class as the speaker. b. The speaker. 4. A single person or thing among persons or things already known or mentioned. -at one. In accord or unity. -in one. At the first in a single attempt. -one and

all. Everyone. -one another. Each other. Used to describe a reciprocal relation or action. -one by one. Individually and in succession.

9?

Yes of course nine, but not yet.

There is in mathematics a definition of perfect numbers; a strict definition. Google it, & read as much as you may stand.

This thread is my self-similar demonstration of all that each of the texts you read try to say but fail to complete either by omission or addition of the nature of Perfect Numbers. A never yet answered question on the set of Perfect Numbers is whether or not they all divide by two. Never as far as we know in over 2,000 years, is the question resolved. However, everyone [mathematicians, geometers, etc.] does/do think/believe that there is a way -at least ONE way- to prove all Perfect Numbers must be even.

Understand that I intend to resolve all the conjectures on this set. Here. Now. Over time. With You. All of you. Every ONE of you. Actively, thank you Tormod the Two Sided HammerHammer, in an inarguable manner. I do not know the truth of Perfect Numbers, but I know how to get to it. I have a new axe & I have sharpened it & now it's time to cut some wood.

The first post has one word & the one word is one. Tormod's second post IS self-similar too in regards to ONE, that is it is ONE word but two. I knocked once, he opened the door. There is no ONE, without the other ONE. When the door opened, I greeted him with my credintials, the definition of "one" that I paraphrased from my dictionary. It is a wide door & JayQ looked in to see numbers & came in looking for nine. All in good time.

Required Homework: Due December Sixth Two Thousand And Five

Read the entire definition of one in post three & try it several ways. Cover one eye & read it. Then cover the other one & read it, then cover both eyes & read it & if you are blind have someone read it to you & then everyone see if you can hold your breath in for as long as it takes to read & then see if you can hold your breath out for as long as it takes to read & then see if you can read it in the time it takes to breath equally in as out in one cycle.

Why is it that a dull axe still chops wood, & that the axe makes what is one two & that even if the two aren't equal they burn as well & that you wait a while after chopping wood before building a fire.

Get to chopping wood. The axe is free & it is you. Go warm yourself twice by the fire.

:naughty:

I hate to get in the middle of one of your great posts Turtle, but if I may add something that may be of consideration and I will try to lay it out as you do.

Could the problem lye in the consideration of One.

I have a really dull axe, infact, Im not sure if its a hammer or an axe but one mighty swing. I tried to chop wood with it. One peice. The problem I found is that I couldnt find the wood. The One peice of wood was alone and nothing could be done with it untill I found the wood (to find a one there must two)

I'm not sure exactly where this could fit into the problem, but as I notice two is the majic number in order for a one to be worked with. I mean by this that. A one electron cant interact with itself and a One atom can not interact with itself. There must always be two if one is going to do something.

I hate to get in the middle of one of your great posts Turtle, but if I may add something that may be of consideration and I will try to lay it out as you do.

Could the problem lye in the consideration of One.

I have a really dull axe, infact, Im not sure if its a hammer or an axe but one mighty swing. I tried to chop wood with it. One peice. The problem I found is that I couldnt find the wood. The One peice of wood was alone and nothing could be done with it untill I found the wood (to find a one there must two)

I'm not sure exactly where this could fit into the problem, but as I notice two is the majic number in order for a one to be worked with. I mean by this that. A one electron cant interact with itself and a One atom can not interact with itself. There must always be two if one is going to do something.

Not a problem Arkain. You spoke right up, & struck the nail on the head as it were. I marked the "head" as it were, of your post in RED.

This is exactly what happens; a "one" immediately[movement} demands a "two". That "two' is all that isn't "one", or in other words, the dictionary definition of one. I am my own definition of "one", as are "you" a "one", as is "every-one" a one.

Now just as fast as two follows one, three appears as the join between them. Three is the adjustment[adjudication] of the agreement between "one" & "two" that they aren't the same.

Three is stable, we are now at three. One is Prime, Perfect, Even & Odd. We now have to pause & return to thtre definitions of

Adjective

Noun

Pronoun

A never yet answered question on the set of Perfect Numbers is whether or not they all divide by two. Never as far as we know in over 2,000 years, is the question resolved. However, everyone [mathematicians, geometers, etc.] does/do think/believe that there is a way -at least ONE way- to prove all Perfect Numbers must be even.

Okay so I must of been holding the axe upside down. I guess I do know how to awkardly cut wood.

What I was getting at is when I read that there must be a way that all perfect numbers are even is that it could be here at 1. I think I have an idea what you are getting at with these perfect numbers (considering I have only taken math as high as grade 11, I am not at all confident). If we look here how one must have two or one is not going to be included. Then re-examine the perfect numbers with this thinking, like 3 for example. 3 "Designating a person or thing that is contrasted with another or others". Being a worker in the set of three, we only see two. Being the observer of the set of 3 we have 4. The observer of the set of three needs to shake hands 3 times, and the set of 3 have to shake hands 3 times. 4 sets of 3 hand shakes are possible, 12 shakes. If the observer does not shake hands one of the "ones" of the three is left as a one and cant be included.

As for a number like 4 each one can have two and then can be "One of two" and included.

Yikes I hope I made sense here.

A one electron cant interact with itself and a One atom can not interact with itself. There must always be two if one is going to do something.
Slow down a sec Arkain, hold it, remember the electron's "self energy" and the associated Feynman diagram. The photon is virtual, it's essentially the electron's own field, inseparable from the electron's own nature of being a charged particle!:hihi:

Who knows, if you sharpen your axe well enough, you might even split the one single electron into two pieces, something not yet done!:hyper:

^^^

How to put this. Forgive me for my confusing example of molecular world, I wasnt giving a direct relation to what we know or dont know about electrons or atoms. I was giving a simple example of how a "One" is irrelevant if you want something to be done.

you might even split the one single electron into two pieces, something not yet done!

For example, even mentally imagining splitting it requires another "One" (this other "one" is you, your imagination plus the electron, and or even a tool you plan to use. The relationship of the so called magic number Two, to have somethine happen, to aquire reality. The more I contimlate how to understand something the more it all falls back to 2, very possibly the way to explain several mysteries of physics?), and splitting that electron makes Two. Then we would have something to work with, mathamatically.

As for the molecular world and its abilities, you are right, more could be known and I was by no means getting in to those details.

How perfectly timely a discussion on atoms/electrons etc., especially in view of C1ay's recent article here at Hypography on physicists achieving a "cat' state in the lab. Two "things" acting as one.

As One demands Two for its very existence, it is in every way reasonable to say One is both Odd & Even. Conditionally. I'm off to read the definition of "even" & see where it leads me.

Kaffee?:cup:

even adjective. 1.a. Having a horizontal surface;flat. b. Having no irregularities, roughness, or indentations; smooth. 2. Having the same plane or line; at the same height or depth; parallel; level. 3. Having no variations or fluctuations; uniform; steady; regular. 4. Of uniform thickness; uniformly distributed. 5. Tranquil; calm; placid. 6. Equally matched or balanced. 7. Equal or identical in degree, extent, or amount. 8. Having equal probability. Said of alternatives, possibilities, or events. 9.a. Having an equal score. b. Being equal for each opponent. Said of a score. 10. Neither owing or being owed; having nothing due. 11. Having exacted full revenge. 12.Mathematics. Exactly divisable by two. 13. Having an even number in a series. b. Having an even number of members. 14. Having an exact amount, extent, or number.

adverb. 1. Used to stress something that might not be expected. 2. At the same time as; just. 3. In spite of; notwithstanding. 4.a. To a higher degree or extent; yet; still. Used as an intensive. b. Indeed; in fact; moreover. Used as an intensive. 5. To a degree that extends as specified. b. Archaic. The same as; identical.

verb evened, evening, evens. -transitive.1. To make even, smooth, or level. 2. To settle or balance; square. - intransitive. To become even or smooth.

noun Archaic. Evening.

What about zero? 0. couldn't that be perfect? I'm not a mathmatician, but zero seems perfect. Is zero even a number? 0 divided by anything is still 0, and anything divided by 0 is 0.

I'm grasping at the concept of 0. 1 is something; its 1.( same with 2 ) Is 0 something? because it represents nothing. Without "nothing", there can't be anything,right?

What about zero? 0. couldn't that be perfect?
Not usually. A perfect number is usually defined as one for which all counting numbers (1, 2, 3, etc) that evenly divide it, excluding itself, when multiplied or added together, give the number. 6/1=6, 6/2=3, 6/3=2, 6=1+2+3 =1*2*3, so 6 is a perfect number. 0 can be evenly divided by all counting numbers. 0/1=0, 0/2=0, 0/3=0, etc., but 0 is not equal to 1+2+3+… or 1*2*3*… .
I'm grasping at the concept of 0. 1 is something; its 1.( same with 2 ) Is 0 something?
An effective and traditional approach to “grasping” such concepts as zero, negative numbers, and complex numbers is to view specific numbers as being created by mathematical “generator” concepts.

For example:

The “natural” (counting) numbers are generated by the concept “successor”. Beginning with the postulated existence of 1, the successor of 1 is 2, the successor or 2, 3, and so on. Note that Successor requires a single number only – it is “unary”.

The concept of “difference” can generate 0, as well as negative numbers – the “integers”. 0, then, is something (many somethings, in fact): the difference between 1 and 1, 2 and 2, 1000000 and 1000000, etc. Like most generators, Difference requires 2 numbers – it is “binary”.

You can use this approach to generate rational numbers (includes terminating and repeating decimal numbers), real numbers (includes “transcendental” numbers that have no repeating or terminating decimal representation), and complex numbers (include “imaginary” numbers, such a number that when multiplied time itself equals -1). Additional generators and types of numbers are possible, but aren’t currently very useful to most people.