Science Forums

Salvia Divinorum

Tarantism

• 2 weeks later...

If I am not mistaken Salvia Divinorum comes from somewhere in Mexico. Its active chemical does not come under any of the existing classifications of recreational drugs and is therefore exempt from the drug laws. I had a friend who grew some and tried it (smoked) a few times. He said the effects were fairly brief, i.e., matter of minutes, but strong and very trippy. Yet he said he felt somewhat objective to the affects making it strange but funny. The first time, he saw his cat get six feet long. The second time he felt that he had another joint in the middle of his thighs that allowed him to fold himself up. He said it tasted like sh*t. The tasted lingered for hours. He dumped the rest because of the taste.

wow, thanks! it took a while for anyone to respond so now i have already tried it myself and i believe your friend was right, strange but kinda funny. i found myself totally at ease with 90% of the trip, and since it was so short i havent decided yet wheather or not i liked it...i think that i will get a better idea with a larger amount of 20x. hm.

well thanks for the reply!B)

yes, i agree, though i tend to stick to educated caution. the strange thing is that salvia isnt really psychoactive, since its effects dont stem from consious thought, but at the same time it is becuase of where it can take you. i think that i will have a better explaination pending more research.

get back to you!

since its effects dont stem from consious thought

well...what effects DO stem from concious thought other than concious thought itself?

salvia is just some strange shrub. Smoke some, and have to see what your brain stem has to offer.

it's a lot like dreaming.

just a lot of mashed brain stem impulses in the frontal lobe of the brain where it's trying to make sense of it all.

every "trip" is different because your brain stem's impulses that it randomly....sparks.....is so random, so weird...it could be any compilation of senses from any moment in your entire life.

a bunch of those mushed together for a few minutes or so.

now what causes this strange temporary magic carpet ride?

a chemical that i can not identify.

if you could, find out more about the specific psychoactive chemical.

yes, it is extremely psychoactive! i don't know what you mean by it's not!-

it's not a psychedelic, that's probably what you were trying to say.

• 1 year later...

I feel like a lot more needs to be said here. I'll try to be brief, but Salvia is not for the faint of heart and can have serious long-term side effects, so it's better to make sources of info like this one more complete.

Absolute ground zero-th of all, you probably don't want to trip salvia. Even experienced drug heads don't do a lot of salvia. It's super-duper-de-dooper hardcore, even though it's somewhat safe and very short-term, relatively speaking. It's like smoking crack or something. Or taking heroin. You are in strange and somewhat f'ed-up company to do it, and you may be much better off in the world if you understand 'curiousity killed the cat', decide not to give yourself full-blown schizophrenia, and otherwise take a skip on the full depth of what it will be like when you die, as it makes living much more complicated to the point that you literally will wish you could go back and not do the salvia. Unless you've actually planned on going mildly insane and becoming a loner or a commune hippy or something, it's better to take a whole lot of other things than salvia. The main thing is, you've got a secret Jesus complex if you think this is a good idea, and you are wrong if you think the life of someone dealing with post-hardcore mild insanity is easy even to the point of being bearable.

In short, it's not 15 minutes, it's years of growth and recovery and an attempt to regain and reunderstand the relationship with reality you've taken for granted since childhood. If I had it all to do over again, and I wanted to be a positive and engaging social person with a strong personal warmth, I think I might skip salvia most of all.

Since I have done it, I've learned a role and a way of living that manages the intense insanity. It's not for everyone, but I can handle it. If you want to go on, you need to be prepared to have a lot of learning to do, and learn up front how to keep your trap shut. Not everything is best said out loud. Trust the remorseful and guilty.

Now, if you still want to know a few things about it:

First of all, never, ever trip salvia alone. At best you will be too paranoid of hurting your body to completely experience and let go of your body's safety needs, and you will not have a complete salvia hallucination. At worst, you will stand up in the middle of your trip and try to walk, and you will light yourself on fire, fall over a railing, walk into traffic, trip over something, etc. Always have a trustable hippy type there to be sure you are in good hands should you decide to maneuver around during your trip.

Second of all, don't be a spoilsport by trying to walk or otherwise :shrug: overreacting to the experience. As long as you followed rule one, you should be safe as long as you STAY DOWN and allow Salvia to take you for a ride. It's a 'party foul' to do it if you know you're in an unfamiliar setting, so no matter what you think seems smart while it's happening, take some old, old advice and stay on your butt and on your back until things settle down and you are sure you're not tripping anymore.

Third, if you do Salvia 'wrong' you may never get the peak experience. Plain leaf and tinctures and everything else is nice and a medicine for the ongoing insane person, but if you want to trip salvia like people mean, TRIP SALVIA, you need two things: extract-enhanced leaf, the strong kind, and a trip sitter. You also need a glass pipe, a bit of tobacco to plug the pipe, and a cigar lighter or something hotter, like a windproof lighter. The hotter the lighter, the more confident you can be that you are about to have the experience. You may also want to have something to calm your mind ready to smoke after the experience.

Apart from that, I don't want to spoil it for you. It's a wild ride, but ultimately an enlightening one.

Just don't do anything crazy - get a trip sitter.

• 3 weeks later...
check the vaults of erowid online for all the info you ever need on this stuff

i advise against all psychedelics - you are really taking a gamble. you will be sorry. i was, many years ago ...

Sorry to hear that. I love psychedelics. The science behind them is so mind boggling, isn't it?

:eek_big:

• 5 months later...

Traditionally. the juice of ten or so leaves were used. It wasn't smoked.

A researcher in Adelaide was looking at it for treating depression. It was banned: so his research ended.

I note plants are available (fairly cheaply) from Richters in Canada.

Mine died one winter.

It is a very large pretty saliva but it needs I think a frost free environment (?)

• 2 weeks later...
i am interested i knowing more about Salvia Divinorum as a phychoactive drug. are there positives? what are the negatives? if you posses any knowlege at all, please share it with me :)

I've tried it several different ways. I didn't get anything but a very breif feeling of well being. I've heard of people getting really high off of it but I have my doubts.

i am interested i knowing more about Salvia Divinorum

someone has been listening to 1200 Mics eh?

You can buy it at 2 or 3 drug stores here in CT, as it is apparently not illegal, and from what i have heard from my good friends, its not worth spending a ridiculously large amount of money on, for what it was, and trips that (4 independent friends that i have heard it from) could have been beaten by even low-end bud that would have cost them less then 1/2 the money. General consensus was that they paid 120 or 140, split it (all of it) between 4-5 ppl, and would have been better off with $40-50 per 1/4oz of decent nuggets... (mind you this is all here-say) (oh and nuggets would have made for 3-4 people happy 4-5 times)

r 1/4oz of decent nuggets... (mind you this is all here-say) (oh and nuggets would have made for 3-4 people happy 4-5 times)

i have no first hand knowledge; but is sounds as if you were not using it properly. See my previous post.

Experiments with hallucinogenics need great care. Look to the traditional way the herb was used. (Usually in religious ceremonies). Respect this.

If the native uses included a fast then fast. If special preparation or food was needed,- do it.

Then make sure you have at least two people to sit with you after you take the drug/herb.

Remember you are sticking a hot poker into your brain/grey matter and giving it a stir and anything can happen-including death and permanent 'madness'.

i have no first hand knowledge; but is sounds as if you were not using it properly.

michaelangelica, i have never done psychoactive drugs, nor am i ever planning to do them, smoked weed once, well caught a few drags, didn't do anything, so i guess i have to go again at some point, maybe, or so my friends that smoke every day say, and i had a sip of absynth, that tastes really licoricely, like really really really, and i hate licorice, so that is about as much drugs as i have ever done.... so it really is here-say.

beyond this, i see no point in my participation in the thread, as i can not contribute to the scientific value of it... unless someone has questions or comments on my post ofcourse...

• 1 year later...