Science Forums

Kansas can now teach Intelligent Design

Edge

What do you think?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Only Intelligent Design should be taught.
    • Only Evolution should be taught.
    • I believe in Intelligent Design, but I don't have a problem with Evolution being taught.
    • I believe in Evolution, but I don't have a problem with Intelligent Design being taught.

that sure makes sense, how about we teach them of the flying spaghetti monster so that we can figure out an alternative?
That's actually my point. Once you open the box, you gotta let in the Scientologists, Moonies, Krishnas, and Flying Spaghetti Monsterites. And this is not speculation: these groups (especially the Scientology folks) already have organizations in place to promote their beliefs as soon as the dam breaks. The Scientologists have already tried this by getting the SF school system to pay them to teach drug education classes that was heavily based on certain odd-ball Scientology beliefs (they got thrown out once the ownership of the shell company was exposed).

Be careful what you wish for....

Cheers,

Buffy

I am aware of that. But I am also aware of a recent survey which showed that most Americans (regardless of state) do not believe evolution to be true.

praise the lord! :shrug:

i was taught evolution in school, and for the most part i believed it. i didn't think about it much, i just kinda absorbed it like a dirty sponge :umno:

it wasn't untill after i graduated and started thinking about evolution that i realized it could not be possible.

praise the lord! :shrug:

i was taught evolution in school, and for the most part i believed it. i didn't think about it much, i just kinda absorbed it like a dirty sponge :umno:

it wasn't untill after i graduated and started thinking about evolution that i realized it could not be possible.

Gosh darn!

ID is not science, there's no hypothesis. It's just a vacuous concept that some shady, evil groups want to introduce into public education to pave the way for creationism. They ignore the normal scientific method and goes right ahead, fooling uneducated people that it is science, and that it should be taught alongside evolution or instead of it.

As morbidly interesting as it would be to watch USA throw away science that is dangerous because it doesn't agree with fairytales, it would be tragic. Science is necessary for many reasons.

questor, why would you want some public school teacher teaching religion to your kids? Some of them can barely teach math or history correctly, wouldn't you rather leave that to your church? That way they can teach whatever version of ID or creationism that you believe in. And leave the non-religion based theories to the public school system.

if evolution cannot be proved by the scientific method,

What do you mean?

why should it be taught as science?

It's a scientific theory, that's why.

evolution and ID should be taught together as theories about the beginning of the universe and the advent of life, giving current observational evidence in support of each.

ID is not science. I've already mentioned a little why it's not science. It's a political movement to sidestep the scientific method in order to introduce pseudoscience and creationism into public education. This is not the way it should be done - not even if ID actually had any substance, which it really does not, especially not if it's not Biblical creationism. If it is, then it's wrong anyway.

Also, the theory of biological evolution does not deal with the beginng of the universe, or the origins of life.