• Novell - Suse
    • Debian
    • Gentoo
    • Slackware
    • Ubuntoo
    • Knoppix
    • Mandriva
    • Linux From Scratch
    • Other (specify which one in your response)

you get asked by the admins if they feel that you are competent and dedicated enough to become a moderator, then it gets voted on by the mod team, and then you are asked and depending you your reply either are made a mod or are thanked for your time, why?

P.S. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCOMSTANCES VOTE HERE IF YOU USE WINDOWS, IT MIGHT JUST CRASH YOUR PC, other UNIX users, please use the Other option and specify the OS :)

I will say slackware, just because it was my first distro and the one that I learned the most from. It was "Slackware '96" and when I got it, I had to break out the manual for all the devices on my computer. It took me about 3 days to get XWindows working properly, mainly because I couldn't find the manual for my video card and monitor. I learned so much about operating systems back then that it was worth all the trouble I went through.

Since then I've used RedHat and Mandrake, but both were like installing Windows 98 and the tools were sub-par for doing desktop work. I've tried 3 different mail programs and all of them would give me problems with sending and recieving blank emails when they weren't supposed to be blank.

Also there were too many things that I wanted to do on them that I needed windows for, such as MIDI software (like cakewalk), for editing not listening, and video games (real video games).

I used redhat as a file server, firewall, and PPP server for a couple of years when I had to do dialup, it was awesome for that.

I haven't really used linux in the past 2 or 3 years but I use AIX at work all day every day (still windows as desktop though).

I will say slackware, just because it was my first distro and the one that I learned the most from. It was "Slackware '96" and when I got it, I had to break out the manual for all the devices on my computer. It took me about 3 days to get XWindows working properly,

;) thats quite fully, lol

mainly because I couldn't find the manual for my video card and monitor. I learned so much about operating systems back then that it was worth all the trouble I went through.

Since then I've used RedHat and Mandrake, but both were like installing Windows 98 and the tools were sub-par for doing desktop work.

its called command line, use linux, learn it...

I've tried 3 different mail programs and all of them would give me problems with sending and recieving blank emails when they weren't supposed to be blank.

and that was like 5-6 years ago, ever thought of looking for stuff now?

Also there were too many things that I wanted to do on them that I needed windows for
And that there my friend is an oxymoron!
such as MIDI software (like cakewalk), for editing not listening, and video games (real video games).

dude, get back to linux, there's tonns of packages to do that:

audacity (do anything with waves)

rosegarden (a huge suit for anything from midi capturing to sequencing and mixing, relatively easy to use too)

hydrogen (awesome drum machine)

terminatorx (sequencer and mixer that allows you to do craziness, like scratching and stuff)

... there's tons of others

As to gaming, if Doom, Quake, UT, Xplane and Flightgear are not real enough for you, well i dont know what is. Aside, ever heard of cedega?

I used redhat as a file server, firewall, and PPP server for a couple of years when I had to do dialup, it was awesome for that.

it is generally better then anything else for server OSes, cheaper, faster (down to transfer speeds over the same hardware, tested it myself), more reliable, when was the last time you've heard of a windows box having uptime of over a year, lastly less stressful to manage, fully open to do whatever you want, and with some work can be made virtually unbreakable...

I haven't really used linux in the past 2 or 3 years but I use AIX at work all day every day (still windows as desktop)

well someone here needs to switch back to Linux...

I know, but I get my fill of unix at work every day, and trust me, I know command line stuff, that's what I do most of the day.

I tried finding good MIDI sequencing software, but couldn't find anything that could compare to cakewalk, which you can mix digital audio with MIDI. It also has an awesome interface for writing and editing music. Sorry but I'm not going to do that kinda stuff by command line, it would take years to do one song.

I've heard of something that will let you run directx games, maybe it was cedega, but from what I heard it wasn't free and it wasn't all that great. Doom and Quake are boring, get me something I can play Grand Theft Auto and Hitman on.

I actually installed Mandriva linux a few months ago, but my wife kept bugging me to get something like our kodak photo software on it and I was too lazy to so I just have it booting back to windows, it's actually still installed on this machine.

I know, but I get my fill of unix at work every day, and trust me, I know command line stuff, that's what I do most of the day.

GNU is Not Unix

I tried finding good MIDI sequencing software, but couldn't find anything that could compare to cakewalk, which you can mix digital audio with MIDI. It also has an awesome interface for writing and editing music. Sorry but I'm not going to do that kinda stuff by command line, it would take years to do one song.

the least you could do is actually checking out the packages that i gave you, they all have excellent x interfaces, and rosegarden allows you to not only mix midi with digital, but also import hydrogen beats, edit them slightly, also write music, anything you want...

I've heard of something that will let you run directx games, maybe it was cedega, but from what I heard it wasn't free and it wasn't all that great. Doom and Quake are boring, get me something I can play Grand Theft Auto and Hitman on.

once again, please check out the packages.... here is a link to the suppotred and working games under cedega:

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/

both GTA and Hitman are on there, along with just about all other new games you can posibly think of, also, you should know that, especially in the world of Linux, you cant go by what was there yesterday, cedega isnt free, and did have problems in the beginning, but its not free because they need money to pay the developers who are actively working on making cedega better, it is perhaps one of the best implementations of wine i have seen to date, and it kicks wines butt for gaming!

I actually installed Mandriva linux a few months ago, but my wife kept bugging me to get something like our kodak photo software on it and I was too lazy to so I just have it booting back to windows, it's actually still installed on this machine.

if you want something that your wife and you could use, shiny, windowsy, linux, try out Ubuntu, worth the 30 minutes it might take you to install and has all kinds of pretty packages to make the GUI automagical, no need to worry about the kernel, updates are graphical, actually uses a decent distro to start with (debian-based), has an ok PMS, overall, for windows click and drag people, it is the way to go...

GNU is Not Unix

????? I use AIX at work, it's not GNU, it's IBM's Unix.

the least you could do is actually checking out the packages that i gave you, they all have excellent x interfaces, and rosegarden allows you to not only mix midi with digital, but also import hydrogen beats, edit them slightly, also write music, anything you want...

Sounds really cool, I may boot up to Mandriva tonight and try to check it out!

once again, please check out the packages.... here is a link to the suppotred and working games under cedega:

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/

both GTA and Hitman are on there, along with just about all other new games you can posibly think of, also, you should know that, especially in the world of Linux, you cant go by what was there yesterday, cedega isnt free, and did have problems in the beginning, but its not free because they need money to pay the developers who are actively working on making cedega better, it is perhaps one of the best implementations of wine i have seen to date, and it kicks wines butt for gaming!

cool, cool, will check that out too tonight, oh wait, I have band practice tonight, tomorrow then!

if you want something that your wife and you could use, shiny, windowsy, linux, try out Ubuntu, worth the 30 minutes it might take you to install and has all kinds of pretty packages to make the GUI automagical, no need to worry about the kernel, updates are graphical, actually uses a decent distro to start with (debian-based), has an ok PMS, overall, for windows click and drag people, it is the way to go...

Actually, I just setup a laptop for my wife two days ago, so once everything is off of my PC, I may just give the ol' mandriva another shot, if the apps you suggested work out for me!

Thanks again.

so why mandriva again? what is so special about it to you?...

Linux uses GNU Unix, GNU is not Unix, therefore you technically arent using Unix at home, you are using Linux, so you'd be ok with a linux box....

ok, you can call it whatever you want, but it's still unix whether the acronym says so or not. I will use mandriva because it's already installed, I just need to boot to it instead of windows.