• Novell - Suse
    • Debian
    • Gentoo
    • Slackware
    • Ubuntoo
    • Knoppix
    • Mandriva
    • Linux From Scratch
    • Other (specify which one in your response)

Kubuntu is working really nice. If I could only attach Yvonne's iPod to it everyone would be happy... :lol: I think there's something wrong with it since it won't mount (not even in Windows). It is formatted as vfat so it should be detected as a USB/SCSI device I think.

But I recommend Kubuntu to anyone used to Windows but not familiar with Linux.

T, there are at least 5 packages for ubuntu that i know are available for ipods in general, i know my sis now has an ubuntu box and sha's got a video ipod, perhaps you would need to take a look at ubuntu tools, you might have to do something crazy to it, but it might be the ipod's fault, cuz if you use vfat in OSX it is crazified and wont work even on windows.... yeah go figure, been there, done that with a flash drive... you might have to just use dostools or format that ipod with a windows box if you have one, unless it does not register as a device in windows, in which case you should just use the dostools to format the darn thing using linux's fat, so it will be seen by both windows and linux, the problem is then mac does not identify the device as using fat.... now you go figure..... crazy

you might have to just use dostools or format that ipod with a windows box if you have one, unless it does not register as a device in windows

It is already formatted on Windows as Yvonne only uses it in Windows.

But I'll check out the ubuntu forums. It would be really cool to get it to work.

I mean that the ISO i downloaded burnt to disk wasnt working... Im going to download the universal because I think it will be easier, I just have to wait till I can go to my dads house and use his downloads instead of mine :cocktail:

Can you describe the exact steps and program you used to burn the ISO?

tormod, i have gotten an ipod to work just fine in linux, all you need under ubuntu is:

ipod, gtkpod, gnupod-tools, libipoddevice0, and if you want nice interface, installing amarok is not a bad idea, and not all of these tools are mandatory, but all of them are nice to have for various reasons...

you will need to enable all the repositories in ubuntu to see or install these tools, here is a howto: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AddingRepositoriesHowto

once again enable all of them.

Jay, tell nero to burn an exact copy, or use better burning tools, like alcohol 120% and stuff...

• 1 month later...

Ditto that. I tried 3 diff. RH versions. Couldn't get network, so never even used it. Then I didn't know how to compile kernels and load modules, but Gentoo fixed that. I'm happy with Gentoo, now that I'm a little familiar with Linux. It's been a long road, but now I got net, audio, and working on 3d. Fighting with Qingy but I got fbsplash theme customization down pretty good. *LOL* Masked Firefox and Thunderbird 1.5.x — life is good.

That's what I did. :confused: No hurries, mate.
south, if you have time, and no better thing to do, if you have decent 3d acceleration support, setup xgl and xfce (tutorial on gentoo wiki) dude, if you wanna impress your friends, this would easily beat Mac's exposee, by miles, trust me it's rediculously cool and at the same time provides loads of usability...