Science Forums

Perception of time

well, my posts are way off topic...

as my 1st post says, i believe that it might be caused by different reactions. when you response faster, things seem to move slower. same as flies, they response things way faster than us and having very short life spam.

if you wanna kill an annoying fly that stays on the wall or something. dont try to hit it very quickly, it will just fly away. hit it slowly, move the "thing" closer and closer...when it is so close, hit it quickly and 9 out of 10 it will die....lol, kind of silly.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was in bio today and was learning about n. american birds. there was this one group of birds that fly 2000 miles every year to feed on the mating horseshoe shoe crabs. they have to make journey over a great distant to TIME their arrival with the crabs mating season. the crabs only mate briefly,so how do the birds know when to arrive? even if it is innate or aquired through rote they still need a sense of time to know when to begin their 2000 mile flight, right?

Originally posted by: rileyj

here is the 1st post

"do flys perceive time different from humans? how come when the flight or fight respones kicks in time seems to move a bit slower? when i was in a car accident it seemed that way, both times is it caused by chemical or electrical means in our body "

the question i was trying for was "how come when the flight or fight respones kicks in time seems to move a bit slower?"

OK. If you wanted a different subject, you should have posted a different subject, rather than say others are wrong because they responded to the subject you DID post, rather than the one you WANTED to post!

so let me clearify, how come when the flight or fight respones kicks in, time seems to move a bit slower?

Simple answer! And you gave it'

"seems"

Originally posted by: Tim_LouTim: hey, freethinker, you see that fly over there? i bet he knows time exist.

free.: hey, your not the fly, how do you know it percieves time?

Tim: well...your not me, how do you know that i dont know the fly's feeling?

free.: your not me neither, how do you know that i dont know whether you know the fly's feeling or not?

.........conversation contiunes......until forever..... (well, until a guy named tormod comes in and tells us to stop!)....lol

I loved it Tim!

plants don't know they get their food from the sun they just know how to get it.

Ah, off topic I know. But since you get so many things wrong, I thought I'd help with this one also.

Plants DO NOT "get their food from the sun".

They get their food from the soil. They use sunlight to help convert that food into energy.

sorry freethinker you know all,the thing i know is that this is pointless. youargue about things off topic and still wrong, i know animal percieve time, it evident in their behaviour . but it doesn't matter seems more arguing is done here than problem solving. andi don't like to waste my time

Originally posted by: Tim_Lou

well, it is impossible to really prove that animals "know" about time, and having an idea of it... you dont really know how they think.

It would seem that right now the biggest problem scientists have is defining/ understanding what "thinking" is.

The concept had to be removed from the constraints attached by religion to "thinking". As religion tries to assert that humans hold a special, unique place in the universe, they therefore have abilities no other animal could possibly have. So allowing sentience for non-human animals had always been a philosophical problem which carried over to scientific research.

But as secular views, humans as just another member of the animal kingdom, were further introduce, it allowed researchers to review how other living things "think". It allowed them to assign sentience and supposed "higher level" thought processes to "lower creatures".

One interesting new approach is analyzing a group as a singular intellegence. Such as a hive. While the idea has been pursued before, not to the level now being discussed. Is a hive self aware? It responds to attacks. It defends itself. It feeds itself. It grows. And it reproduces.

But if you claim a soul in the mix. Then suddenly there must be things humans can do that no other creature can in any way. Intellect was always considered one of those lines.

sorry freethinker you know all,the thing i know is that this is pointless. youargue about things off topic and still wrong, i know animal percieve time, it evident in their behaviour . but it doesn't matter seems more arguing is done here than problem solving. andi don't like to waste my time

Try to keep up with the discussion. You are finally agreeing with the rest of us that animals can percieve time, as they are self aware.

OK, so I said:

Originally posted by: Freethinker

"Try to keep up with the discussion. You are finally agreeing with the rest of us that animals can percieve time, as they are self aware."

To which you just replied:

are you kidding?cause i believe i was theone saying theycould and you said they could not

Yet on Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:54 AM you said:

PERCEPTION OF TIME DOES NOT REQUIRE SELF-AWARENESS

Who's the one that is confused? Can't remember what they said before?

I wanted to clarify what people mean when they say "perception of time".

Time itself is a dimension, a scale of measurement. It is not a perceiveable event. Nor is it a constant; it has no value.

Perception is the conscious realisation of information processed by the unconscious which has been received by observation.

We observe change.

We perceive changes, and the rate of change, over time.

To our perception, the rate of change can become faster or slower.

While events may seem to occur at varying speeds, the speed at which we think does not; it is constant, whether we are perceived to be acting quickly or slowly.

So really the heading should be "perception of rate of change of observed events"

And as I say, time is not something that can be observed or perceived, it's merely a scale of measurement. The best we can say is "conception of time".

Please stop talking about animals. You are making me horny.

Thanks for your time.

Paul

• 1 month later...

The perception of time is nothing but an illusion.

Time is the reference data obtained by the comparison of the motion of physical means.

When you have an appoinment with someone and you agrre to meet him at 3:00 pm in a restaurant, the only thing you are doing is to tell him that when the "location of such restaurant is reaching -by the continuous rotation of Earth and the established tiime zone- to the angle which correspond to 3:00 pm in reference to the Sun, right in that moment...is when both of you should meet.

By checking the "time zones" established for Earth, you can easily understand that time is just a reference, not so a physical dimension.

You perceive "motion" of physical means and by such perception you establish a cycled motion to be the standart base -in our case we have the rotation of Earth in reference to the Sun- and with this data, you just compare it -as measurement- with the motion of other physical means.

The illusion is to believe that such reference data is a physical dimension.

I compare Einstein with Ptolomey, they made the same mistake, both of them fell in the clows of misunderstanding of reality by the following of illusions. Ptolomey made great calculations about the "size of the Sun" having in reference the illusion that the Sun rotates around the Earth. The calculations of Ptolomey agree wonderfully with "such perception of seeing the Sun rotating around the Earth", but...reality is different....the Earth is the one which rotates around the Sun and by consequence the theory of Ptolomey is discarded beacuse is found to be invalid.

The same as well, the theories of relativity appearto coincide with several perceptions by us, but...as time is not a physical dimension but a reference data only, the theories of relativity are discarded as well because their base foundation is found to be -like in Ptolomey's case- a misinterpretation of reality.

There is not a single experiment which proves that time can be perceived as a physical dimension, the complete data of tests are based in experients made in base of what we perceive in reference to perception of motion of things. For example, set you clock today, and read this posting and reply it, read other postings and keep busy the whole afternoon....youir perception shall be that "time runs fast".

Instead of that, turn off the computer and stay in front of it looking at the dark screen the whole afternoon tomorrow, your perception shall be that time runs slow.

Such different perception of time will guide you to the simple conclusion that what you perceive is motion only. Time is just a reference data, and you can't perceive such kind of information as if time is a physical dimension...to think so is to fall in the misunderstanding of illusions, and in Einstein's case..his misunderstanding of reality made him to create theories which -in accord to reality- can be catalogued as lunacies...

Carlos & Carlos Scientific Religious Research.