Science Forums

America the myth

Turtle

• 1 month later...

So, anybody interested in talking about Frederick Jackson Turner's "The Frontier In American History?" What about the "Green World Myth," widely held to be the informing myth of all of the Americas?

Oh, we're not really discussing "America the Myth" here, are we?

When you think about all the environmental issues that can't be dealt with in a straightforward manner because they bump up against our deep-seated frontier psyches and their informing myths, we probably should discuss "America the Myth" somewhere. And when you think about our dealings with the rest of the world . . . well, you can guess where I'm going. We need to have that discussion.

Can we do that here, or is there a better place?

--lemit

So, anybody interested in talking about Frederick Jackson Turner's "The Frontier In American History?" What about the "Green World Myth," widely held to be the informing myth of all of the Americas?

When you think about all the environmental issues that can't be dealt with in a straightforward manner because they bump up against our deep-seated frontier psyches and their informing myths, we probably should discuss "America the Myth" somewhere. And when you think about our dealings with the rest of the world . . . well, you can guess where I'm going. We need to have that discussion.

--lemit

?????????? ummmmm......yah......mmmmm K then....yes this thread is America the myth...and yes any subject pertaining to how life America is presented to the masses (ie proppaganda) vs the reality of life here... as well our global and environmental policy as presented vs as really is .....etc. etc.

And yes as things go environmentaly....yes were a nation of hypocrates... and yes this is something that would be would appropriate to discus here...right along with our centuries of violating human rights while proclaiming that all men are created equal.

You guys are really fortunate if the question of "to pledge or not to pledge" is the biggest problem you've got with your government.

:)

I wish....as gripes go this is as you so eloquently put it rather a small nuisence.

Though it does seem to be garnering most of the limelight here:( perhaps now we can get things to progress towards some of the bigger issues:shrug:

Nearly 100 posts and 4 years since this thread was started, it’s easy to concentrate ones attention on its title, and forget its opening post,

For 30 years every person of authority has fed me (and you) the same old lies. They proudly proclaim (with their fingers crossed no less :ideamaybenot: ) that as an american I'm lucky. I live in the land of milk and honey. No other nation in the world is as free or well off as the good ol U.S.A.

I say not true. Why?:

Lets start at the begining:

From grades k-12 children and young adults are required (forced) to swear allegience to the U.S. (there are penalties for noncompliance) ...

We’d do well, I think to rename it “America the Myth (re: the Pledge of Allegiance)”. If there are no objections, of if DD doesn’t do it first, I'll do that.

The thread could also stand, I suspect, a good moderatorly “raking” of its several subthemes into separate threads, as can many threads in this and other forums. Alas, hypography’s all-volunteer moderators have limited time, so not every needed organizational cleanup will get done.

My advice is “better place = new thread”. As noted above, this is a very old thread which was intended to be about a specific conflict between a political ideal and reality, not the whole class of such conflicts.

Nearly 100 posts and 4 years since this thread was started, it’s easy to concentrate ones attention on its title, and forget its opening post,

We’d do well, I think to rename it “America the Myth (re: the Pledge of Allegiance)”. If there are no objections, of if DD doesn’t do it first, I'll do that.

The thread could also stand, I suspect, a good moderatorly “raking” of its several subthemes into separate threads, as can many threads in this and other forums. Alas, hypography’s all-volunteer moderators have limited time, so not every needed organizational cleanup will get done.

My advice is “better place = new thread”. As noted above, this is a very old thread which was intended to be about a specific conflict between a political ideal and reality, not the whole class of such conflicts.

I Object! (unless you mean to start a new thread about the pledge)....the fixation on one example out of several must end! if we do anything let's round up all the "pledge related" posts and banish them and polish it all off by eliminating it from my opening post so the other issues may finally have their turn as I intended......or we could simply start a new thread and divert any following posts related to the pledge to it seeing as it has been officially beat to death and there's no point further beating this dead horse here;)

Besides diggin through here I've found much of interest that is well writ and not pledge related....So'z I says the next pledge related post earns neg rep:evil:

Anyone wishing to further discuss the whole Pledge thing may feel free to start a thread for such purpose...

Tis time to progress to other issues here (I saw some great attemps to get things movin a few posts back lets persue them:D Seriously)

HydrogenBond, CraigD, Moonman, Questor, Lemmit ready when you are.

Besides diggin through here I've found much of interest that is well writ and not pledge related....So'z I says the next pledge related post earns neg rep:evil:

Anyone wishing to further discuss the whole Pledge thing may feel free to start a thread for such purpose...

Tis time to progress to other issues here (I saw some great attemps to get things movin a few posts back lets persue them:D Seriously)

HydrogenBond, CraigD, Moonman, Questor, Lemit ready when you are.

Since nobody's done anything for a couple of days, I guess we aren't ready.

--lemit

I Object! (unless you mean to start a new thread about the pledge)....the fixation on one example out of several must end! if we do anything let's round up all the "pledge related" posts and banish them and polish it all off by eliminating it from my opening post so the other issues may finally have their turn as I intended......or we could simply start a new thread and divert any following posts related to the pledge to it seeing as it has been officially beat to death and there's no point further beating this dead horse here;)

DD’s suggestion is taken and done. 71 pledge-related posts – about half the thread - have been moved from this thread to 19718.

There are a couple of other themes, such as the flat tax discussion starting here, that could, I think, stand a similar treatment, both to keep this thread on the general topic of myths about America, and because their discussion-worthy subjects are lost and buried in this long old thread.

Any other suggestions, in this or other threads, are welcome.